Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving to the Bay??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 pm 
Goby

Hello, my name is Craig I am new to the board and this is my first post.
We will be moving down to the Deseronto area from just outside of Sudbury. My favorite species is walleye so of course I am excited to have access to the big eyes in the Bay. I do have a few questions and hope you guys can give me some idea as to my equipment needs. Here we fish smaller remote lakes in our 16 foot Lund Rebel with a 50 Yamaha. My wife has indicated she would like a pontoon seeing we will now be living right on the water. Would a toon be suitable to fish the bay? Here I tend to back troll alot and rarely still fish. Not sure what works best down there? Ideally I could have both, but the Lund would have to go if we were to buy a pontoon. Happy wife, happy life, but I too need t be happy.

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Moving to the Bay??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:48 pm 
Walleye Master

will a pontoon work? sure it will.

the bay is a big open body of water....and pontoons blow around much worse than a standard boat.

I'd say your lund would be MUCH better suited to Quinte than a pontoon....especially if your going to take advantage of the best walleye fishing...which is in November and December....

however, like you said, happy wife equals happy life.

if your on the water, why not keep both?

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 pm 
Walleye Master

If you get rid of the Lund you will regret it hard

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:22 pm 
Walleye Master

Fishing out of a pontoon boat sucks!!!! I rented one this summer to take the gang out, (cause my 16 footer is too small) and will never do it again. If you're somewhat serious about fishing, and also looking for some comfort for your wife, maybe just moving up to an 18 footer could be an option. Great fishability and comfort....Everybody is happy!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:49 am 
Minnow

craigers wrote:
Hello, my name is Craig I am new to the board and this is my first post.
We will be moving down to the Deseronto area from just outside of Sudbury. My favorite species is walleye so of course I am excited to have access to the big eyes in the Bay. I do have a few questions and hope you guys can give me some idea as to my equipment needs. Here we fish smaller remote lakes in our 16 foot Lund Rebel with a 50 Yamaha. My wife has indicated she would like a pontoon seeing we will now be living right on the water. Would a toon be suitable to fish the bay? Here I tend to back troll alot and rarely still fish. Not sure what works best down there? Ideally I could have both, but the Lund would have to go if we were to buy a pontoon. Happy wife, happy life, but I too need t be happy.

Thanks guys.
welcome to bay of quinte, i am originally from northern Ontario, great area, still miis it, i fish the bay with a 16 foot Lund adventure / 60 hp four stroke Yamaha, a good combination, i also have wave whackers installed on the transom, they are worth the extra expense when back trolling. check out the Kingfisher boat line, they have some excellent tiller combos, they are high quality boat, they would be my next choice to a Lund. happy fishing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:16 am 
Goby

Thanks for the reply's. It was mentioned to have both but finances with the move mean only one boat for now. I am concerned about the small tiller on big water and as also mentioned a larger deep V may be the answer. Cannot wait to get out there and try my luck!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Admin

If you are entertaining a another boat I suggest you wait till you are here and have fished the bay for a full season before you go and buy something. That experience will help you both in picking the right boat to make you and your wife happy. What you have now is very suitable for most days as long as you have an eye on the wind forecast. The bay can blow up relatively quick and with your boat you will have no problem getting off the water as long as you are paying attention.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 am 
Walleye Angler

Big eyes in the late months r pretty addictive, u will definitely want to be out there. I run a 16.5 deep v Lowe 90 Merc with walk thru windshield and would never replace it with anything smaller or a pontoon. As Dan suggested above, spend the first year on the water then decide. Kingston has a good boat show in the spring, my wife and I picked ours, it gave her a chance to see the brands and models to compare.
Cheers Rob

banner ad
banner ad