Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 am 
Walleye Angler

We're back from PEI safe and sound. Since you are all interested in fish on this forum, here's a recap of my summers fish related activities.

May and June are lobster season. It's expected you go down to the dock about noon as the fishing boats come in and buy your lobsters directly from a fisherman. I usually got a 5 gallon bucket, 15 pounds or so, of canners for $4.00 a pound every Monday. The early cold water lobsters are the best of the season, sweet and full.

This salt water speckled trout I caught off the pier as I was waiting for my lobster fisherman to come in. As these sea run trout spend time in salt water they lose their typical colours and spots and appear mostly just silver. Two weeks back in fresh water and the vibrant colours return.

A five gallon bucket of bar clams yields enough meat for fried calms, clam chowder and clam sashimi. Most of the fun is digging them as cleaning them is a pain in the butt. Tradition dictates that you do this when visitors are staying over. You also have a choice of steamer clams, razor clams, quahogs and mussels.

Every year I go out on a charter boat with company a few times. For $40 a head it's way cheaper than operating a boat yourself. And safer, as the ocean is a whole other kettle of fish (pardon the pun) weather and wave-wise. Cod are the targeted fish and usually you come away with a good feed. It makes a nice evening cruise for the wife as well.

And here's where I shop for halibut. When the season is on, just wander down to the pier and buy a filet, side or a whole fish. This year's rate was $10 a pound for filets. Some good. I like it blackened .Image

The ubiquitous mackerel. As the summer continues, the mackerel become more plentiful closer to shore. By August into October casting from a dock or pier will get you fish. Sometimes though, they are mysteriously elsewhere and you may have to wait for the schools to forage by again. When they are on, you can catch a lot. When it's worthwhile, I'll spark up the smoker and do enough to last for a week or so. The wife likes them raw with a bit of wasabi and sauce.Image

Most brook trout in the streams are of a smallish size, but every so often the sea runs will appear and it's a new ball game. These I caught in a stream 6 feet wide with my 6' 3wt fly rod. They still have a silver hue, Both the large and small ones are delicious.Image

There's a recreational ground fish season in Aug/Sept when you can catch flounders (which is filet of sole) off the dock. They make a great boneless filet and are tasty-mild in flavour. The smelt were in around too, and we kept a few just to try them out. All interesting fish.

Add to that oysters, steamer clams, hake, and more lobster, then a bucket of blueberries, it's a foragers paradise. This year I didn't go for bluefin tuna, but next year's a different story. Gotta dream.

Maple

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Maple... Great report, nothing like a good feed from back home.........

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:41 am 
Walleye Master

That is great stuff buddy. im jealous

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:56 pm 
Walleye

What a great report. Sounds like you had a great summer. Nice pictures as well.
thanks for the info..

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:41 am 
Perch

Sounds like an awesome summer. My wife and I were in PEI this summer and it is a fantastic place. I was out to visit with the folks from Trout River trailers and then spent a couple days for blue fin Tuna and the Tignish cup challenge. It is awesome fishing for these giants. The power is unbelievable that they have!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:52 am 
Walleye Master

Now that's the life!!! Well done sir. Looks like a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:13 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Great to hear about the Maritimes and the availability of seafood.

We visited Saint John this past summer, but didn't get a chance to get the seafood like you did, we had to get ours in the small road side stands.

I recall my years in NB, when we could go any wharf on the coast and catch flounders or gather periwinkles.

Thanks for sharing your summer in PEI.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Awesome report Maple ! :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:46 pm 
Walleye

Excellent report and photos! I would love to experience a trip like that some day. Like you said "gotta dream". In case you missed it. BOQ offered up some pretty fine walleye fishing from opener right through August and part of September and the bass fishing off our dock was pretty darn good too.

Cheers!

banner ad