Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mustang floater jacket
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:02 am 
Baitfish

I was looking at the Mustang Floater Jackets at Crappy Tire. they had 2 models, the bright flourescent coloured one (around 189.00) and a high end one for around 349.

Are these suits good for ice fishing as well, that is, will they keep you warm enough at -25 8O

I believe though that you can also get a floater skidoo suit. Would this be any better? Thanks for any suggestions

magfishnet

Post subject: Floater suits
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:33 am 
Site Admin

I have had a mustang 1 piece floater suit for years and I would have to say it was the best investment. I paid about the sme price CTC has listed. I do use it ice fishing and it will keep you warm.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:40 am 
Walleye Fry

I have a Buoy o Buoy and my dad has the Mustang. I have shorter legs and the Buoy o Buoy is shorter in length than the Mustang (at least in the models from a couple of years ago). I would say that they are both very similar in terms of quality. While the suits certainly help to keep you warm, I find that I need to wear warm clothes underneath (dress in layers). The primary purpose of these suits is not to provide warmth. The full length zippers are nice because if it's warmer, you can simply unzip part way. I agree with Dan, they are an excellent investment. Think of it as a safety purchase and buy one!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:28 am 
Walleye Angler

One cold and blustery November day a few years ago, my dad and I were fishing with Neil out of Picton. Despite increasing winds, we headed over to Thompson's. The wind whipped up, and instead of us doing the smart thing and weathering the storm behind the points, we elected to head back to Picton because we didn't want to miss the evening fishing.

The wind was coming hard from the south more or less, and huge waves were whipping up from both the ferry and from Picton. In the area between Thompson's and the cement plant, we were hitting the criss-crossing wave pattern, which you'll remember from your physics class produces double crests and double troughs. The waves were enormous! It was unbelievable! We were so incredibly stupid to have ventured out! And yet we didn't dare try to turn around - we had to keep the boat pointed into the waves.

Neil was wearing his Mustang suit, but at the time neither my dad nor I had one. The two of us had fished the Pickering nuke station all winter long for years, and had never really felt cold. Besides, the things are expensive, right?

Things started getting bad -- really bad. It was terrifying, and I'm not one easily spooked. At one point a ten-footer crashed over the bow. We were pretty scared. Nobody said anything. I can still see the look of concentration in Neil's face as the waves crashed off his glasses. My dad was huddled in the back corner. Neil steered the boat carefully through the flat bits - accelerating here, holding back there, and eventually navigated our way to safety. Barely. We later admitted we had all been praying, and pretty damn hard.

We nearly died.

If the outboard had quit for any reason, we'd have been swamped in a heartbeat. Neil would have survived in his Mustang Suit, and my dad and I would have been toast. It's the single greatest judgement error I've ever made on the water. It nearly cost us our lives. I get sweaty hands just thinking about it.

Needless to say, my dad and I immediately picked up suits, and they have been the best investment ever, both in comfort, and more importantly in safety.

Don't leave the shore this time of year without it. I'm lucky to be alive.
Don't do as I do, do as I say.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm 
If you're serious about fishing cold weather and want the peice of mind, invest a few extra bucks and buy a one piece floater suit. A jacket is great, but won't keep you near as warm or dry as a 1 piece. I wear mine ice fishing everywhere, salmon fishing in April and May on Lake O, and in the fall, just about everywhere also. You can't go wrong. The mistake you can make is not being well enough prepared. To me, a floater coat is what I'd wear for cold weather pier fishing, just in case. If I'm in a boat or on the ice, I want to be warm and dry. I've been out on days where your face freezes in the wind. Pull up the collar, flip up your hood, turn so your back faces the wind and you warm up again quickly.

banner ad
 Post subject: Floater Coats
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:34 pm 
Walleye

For many years I used a floater coat for ice fishing under the impression that I was fully addressing my safety. Four years ago two young men my son and I hunted with went missing on Lake Ontario duck hunting. The one fellow who was wearing a one-piece suit was found the next day on a small island having been in the water 26 hours. The paramedics thought he was DOA but some very dedicated staff at the hospital were able to revive him. He and I had a great duck hunt this past Saturday. The other young man's body washed ashore the following spring. While searching with the Coast Guard we were told that they could only recommend a one piece suit, because one of their main purposes is to minimize the amount of water next to your body. When in the water for a prolonged period the coats act like a bell and do little to delay hypothermia. That winter at the Sportsman Show in Toronto I bought the best one piece suit I could find.

My advice to all fall, ice and spring night fishermen, if you can't afford a couple of hundred bucks for a good suit, the best one's are less than six hundred, stay to hell off the water.

Bassn 51
take your grandkids fishing

banner ad
 Post subject: Jacket vs. Suit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:10 am 
All kidding aside, a jacket has the advantage over a one-piece in that when you fart in a jacket, you don't agnonize as you would in a one-piece.

Seriously, don't be cheap, get the one piece. They last forever.

banner ad
 Post subject: Floater
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:49 am 
Thanks for your help...I definetly am going to get one!! I tried the Atlantic model at CTC last night,...besides it will helpful when I go icefishing...luckily I haven't gone through yet 8O ...but you never know :lol:

again, thanks

Magfishnet7

banner ad
 Post subject: survial suits
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:50 pm 
Walleye

i invested in one a few years ago its a mustang survival integrity suit and i must say it was the best $ 354.00 plus taxs that i ever spend.they keep you dry and warm and also give that piece of mine, that should any thing happen. the suit there to help you surive. knock on wood that never happens. i be heading to the bay of quinte this saturday for a week with my alumacraft navagtor sport 175 (walleyedreamer on the side) and staying at merland park and sure enough you will see me in my red mustang suit on the water. so if i could give one piece of advice go for a survival suit and one piece and spend the money its well wort the money. happy fishing. see you out on the water. walleyedreamer.

banner ad
 Post subject: They DON'T last forever!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:54 pm 
Guppy

Please don't ever make that assumption.

I believe both Mustang and Buoy O Buoy recommend that you personally test your suit every year after 4-5 years. (jumping in the water with it on.

The foam disinigrates after a certain period. My Mustang gave out this year after 8 years. I jumped in the water with it and it dragged me down like I was wearing lead. I am glad I checked. Don't get me wrong, Mustang is a quality floatation suit. (the best at that time) But it has been very well worn in those 8 years. It was one of the best investments I ever made.

Like Bassn51 says, if you can't afford the suit, stay off the cold water.

Just my $0.02
Speed

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:43 pm 
Whoa there speedtroll!
Slow down with the bad advice, you never test a floatation device by jumping in the water, you wade out to chest deep and pull your legs up under you.
I think you'll find this on the pcoc test.

With a floater suit you might have a hard time getting your legs back down. I'm told its hard to swim in them is that right?

You might get a longer life out of your out of your pfd if you keep it out of the sun when your off the water.

banner ad
 Post subject: Mustangs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:28 pm 
No doubt they are essential for fall fishing but I find if I'm ice fishing and it's cold (-20c or lower) the suit tends to feel like its freezing and its difficult to move in as a result. It gets stiff. Anybody else experience this?

banner ad
 Post subject: floatation suit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:58 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I too own a flotation suit from Sterns. I liked it more than the mustang version. It has reenforced knee areas and lots of pockets. It keeps me warm and toasty. It is also dark blue with large yellow areas[very visible] I bought it 4 years ago and think it is one fine suit...Larry

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:58 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I've got a one piece Atlantic Class and I'll tell you, it's one warm outfit. Many nights I'm unzipping it periodically to cool off! I can't recall but I think it's a Mustang....I'll double check.

And I agree, best money I ever spent!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:36 am 
Baitfish

Well, went "shopping for a suit" yesterday....First to Lebarons...Atlantic class suit...359.00 8O ...Then went back to Crappy Tire at Kanata....329.00 :D Treated myself to an early Christmas Present...Girlfriend was happy as well as she realised importance. So I'm ready to try "Quinte" on both soft and hard waters...hopefully never have to try suit out :!: Only need now days with less wind as I only have a 14 and a half footer with a 15. Used to fish Telegraph narrows area and off Thompson (about 10 years ago) and am biting at the bit to be able to take a picture of a biggun :lol:
thanks again folks for your help :!:

Magfishnet

banner ad
banner ad