Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Ice hut help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 am 
Walleye

Hello. I want to build a ice hut this season. Any tips for a newbie ice hut builder. :):): ). Recommended size. I want to put a little wood stove in it too.

Post subject: Re: Ice hut help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:13 am 
Walleye Angler

Shana, there are a lot of creative design plans on line(some are free, some are offered at cost and can be ordered), also lots of free tips and tricks available on line, some plans are very detailed with material costs ect
http://mikeoutdoors.com/wp-content/uplo ... ng-hut.jpg
http://www.icefishingcrazy.com/
Size and complexity depends on your needs, and perhaps budget, and perhaps how easy or difficult a project you wish to undertake. Perhaps you could start by deciding how many people you wish to accomadate(similar to a collapseable hut),then design a plan ,or find one online that fits your budget, and needs.(and desired style) Portability and weight(as well as cost) are a few important considerations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 am 
Walleye

Thanks yeah I have been online. I want something for 3/4 people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Tips....always be looking for light building materials. Even if you plan to haul it with a sled or buggy, the lighter it is, the easier it will be to get it off the ice if you need to in a rush in sloppy conditions.
Don't forget, we live on the Bay of Quinte. We've been very blessed in the past five years with great ice conditions and while this winter's long term forecast is looking great, the season can be fickle. I've dealt with my fair share of good sized huts that have sunk in halfway and refroze, blown away because they weren't anchored, been an absolute bitch to pull in because of snow or worse, slush, etc.
Go light and anchor well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:51 pm 
Walleye

look for dewalt ice hut plans.

easy cheap and light

regards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

And I should say, The hut that fell halfway in and refroze was a young friend of mines hut he called Jabba and he had a wood stove in it. It would have been a great one for Lake of the Woods or Abbitibi. He built it like a small house and being inexperienced, he didn't block it up. it melted and froze day after day and eventually got half way in. Chainsaws and pry bars were the order of the day on that one.
My brother in law's 6x6 blue hut blew down the bay about a kilometre and only a pressure crack saved it from heading to open water near telegraph narrows.
Of course in that case, once he found it, he flipped it over, started fishing and found a pretty awesome hot spot that produced all season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:28 pm 
Walleye

Okay thanks for the tips guys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:18 pm 
Walleye

Easy to move is key. I take mine in and out every trip had an 8x8 hut that went through and froze in too many times

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm 
Walleye

About 10 yrs ago, I built myself a "portable" 1-man collapsible hut with canvas on the long side and 2 plywood on the ends and used a copper pipe to prop the ends up inside. It never touched ice! I was not too eager to put on top of my car and it was heavy since I needed 2X4s to make the flooring solid. Wife got me a pop-out Eagle ice cube hut and loved it since. I ended up taking apart the wood hut for scrap :( If you plan to travel around, a clam would be easier to pull and more durable and than a home-made one, IMO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:50 pm 
Walleye

The hut is to take my daughter fishing when I go. I have a flip hut. The hut is for when I have my kid out there.

Post subject: Ice hut help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've been taking my three kids along with my Eskimo pop-up since they were about 5.
I bring along the aqua view and the buddy heater and have had no problems.
As long as there is a tv to fight over (aqua view) they will go any where...lol

Ps, bring extra socks and boots, they will step in a hole at least once per trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

Shana, in order to fish 3-4 comfortably, you will need a hut in the 8x8 region. Whatever you do, don't build a 4x8, with the poles we use these days there just isn't enough room. I found this out last year and will only be using my 4x8 for perch with my wooden tippers I use.

banner ad