Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new ice auger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 pm 
Walleye

looking for a new ice auger, any advice on 8 or ten inch hole size and brands that have been good or bad ,thanks randy

Post subject: Re: new ice auger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:27 pm 
Walleye

I have a jiffy ( STEALTH 10" ) bought it probably 8 years or so ago. Works great and pushes thru the ice really well. close too 3ft on simcoe last year and I had no problems at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:10 am 
Walleye Angler

I'd say go with either a 4-stroke or a propane powered auger. No need for mixing fuel and stench of a 2-stroke anymore. Strikemaster has those options as does jiffy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 am 
Perch

I have the Eskimo Shark 51 cc 8 inch model, I`ve been using it for the past 3 seasons, still on the same blades and I cut a lot of holes. I would strongly recommend this auger.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:36 am 
Minnow

caper wrote:
I have the Eskimo Shark 51 cc 8 inch model, I`ve been using it for the past 3 seasons, still on the same blades and I cut a lot of holes. I would strongly recommend this auger.

i run a jiffy 3hp 2 stroke 10 inch. works great. my advice would be to go with a 10 inch auger, what ever make you decide, 10 inch auger is worth the extra bucks especially when U have a large fish on. good luck on the hard water.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:08 pm 
Walleye

thank you guys , I guess it will be a ten inch jiffy

Post subject: new ice auger
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

I can't see the benefit of a 10". There isn't a fresh water fish that won't come through an 8"...hole and who hasn't stepped into a 10" hole in the dark.

It should be law to mark all holes over 8".

I have an 8"Eskimo stingray by the way, and would not recommend.

I will be looking for something with a solid throttle linkage next time-strike master maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

I own a jiffy that's getting close to, or is, 20 years old. I've cleaned the carb on it once since I've owned it (5 years now), painted the handles and auger and put a new blade on it. It's never let me down. It's an 8" 2 stroke. Fill a 10L and mix your oil accordingly and put it in the auger as needed. Piece of cake. I've landed 12lb walleye, pike and rainbow through the 8" hole no problem. Best part about the smaller augers is if you fish back lakes with minimal access, they are light! I've backpacked into some remote lakes with my auger over my shoulder and my rod in my other hand.

Just my 2 cents ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:16 pm 
Walleye

Unfortunate about stepping in the hole. To be honest I'm not a big guy but my boots are and there's no way they would fit in a 10" hole without some effort. As for opting for a 10" hole, agreed there's very few fish that won't fit thru an 8" hole but those big girls are a lot easier to position them to come thru the ice with a 10" rather an 8" especially later in the season with thicker ice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:42 am 
Perch

I bought this last year and I'm never looking back. Chews through ice like butter. Only thing is, need a drill with lithium battery, the bigger the battery the better (3.0 AH). Was able to drill a half dozen holes with one battery last February. One thing I had to do was when on the ice and when not drilling I kept the battery in a black cooler bag to keep warm.

Reason for buy, very light, no pulling cords etc... pull the trigger and drill. Also, I bought the 8" model, probably should've gotten the 6" which would be less strain on the drill. With this auger you can drill multiple holes in one spot so you cam make the hole as big as you want.

http://vexilar.com/info/k-drill-electri ... er-system/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:04 pm 
Walleye

I got a 8" ION 40 volt lithium auger last season and love it for the same reasons as JiggingGuy. http://www.ioniceaugers.com/

Pro - light, no gas, fast, easy to use, little maintenance and I like the colour. Con - must keep battery warm or else it will discharge, costs $500 and has limited run time. If you fish all day and move around a lot, then go for gas but if you're the type walk out, to make a few holes and park your butt, then go for electric.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:32 pm 
Walleye

I have older 10" Jiffy that is probably 20 yrs old.....still works great. I was amazed at my buddy's new 10" Jiffy stealth. Works amazingly well. Chews thru the ice way faster than my old girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 pm 
Guppy

Any recommendations on the drill end? I've done some research on 18v - so many to choose from. Would like to know what Quinte people are using.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:02 am 
Perch

I use Rigid 18V lithium because I already had it. Vexilar recommends the Milwaukee 18v with the red Lithium... I do like the life time service on battery with Rigid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:35 am 
Walleye Angler

If you have not got a drill yet I cant say enough about this Ridgid http://www.homedepot.ca/product/18v-ham ... ver/861855

Last year I used it with the http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/elect ... GYPVTTF98F but I now have a http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/aug ... n-kit.html on order. My chuck seized at the end of the season but was covered by the life time warranty and had it fixed within 3 days. it was a combination of the moisture and the adapter from Canadian tire slipping and stripping that caused the chuck to seize up . The idea is great but the metal is quite soft in the one at Canadian tire for what it needs to do. You can find better ones on eBay and on line that are made out of harder metals. to use the Clam adapter, you take the chuck right off and it has ball Bearings that absorbs load from the auger so the drill is only used to spin the auger not to support the torque. I also ordered a 12" extender in case we get ice like last year again.

Happy fishing! Some Ice will be here before we know it if this cold sticks around.

Below is info from an old posts of mine at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18738

I shopped around for a drill and went with a Ridged as it had the highest torque (640lb) rating I could find and also came with 2 double sized lithium batteries. I was worried about eventually burning out the drill but found out Ridged extends the three year warranty on their equipment to a lifetime warranty when it is registered with them online (including batteries). The drill has a variable trigger speed so I run it slow but can pop a hole as quick if not quicker than any electric or gas auger with it. a couple weeks ago I drilled 20+ holes on one battery in 16" - 18" of ice and still had some charge left in it.

The drill is 18v which is not the biggest factor, it is the torque that makes the biggest difference. I was looking at a bunch of 20V from Dewalt and milwaukee and they did not compare to the Ridged. They were all around 350LB - 450LB in my post I said the Ridged was 640LB but it is actually 615LB.

Another thing to do is keep the batteries in an insulated cooler bag with a couple hot shot hand warmers, although I do not think the lithium batteries are effected by the cold as much as Nimh batteries are.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Comit on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad