Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 pm 
Walleye Angler

I had posted this on the Ice Shanty, and OOD site, then realized I had forgotten to float this idea with the seasoned veterans here, so here is my idea.

I am trying to determine if there is a want or need of overnight bungalows on the Bay of Quinte.
i am currently working on registering a business that will rent huts on the Bay, and I'm looking for some imput into what the customer wants.
i have only my personal huts at this time, but am planning on building more soon. I am polling the fishers on here as to what they think of the idea of overnighters as well as wants and needs.
i realize the majority of the fish caught on the Bay are caught during the morning and afternoon prime times and this may work against the whole idea, but for those considering fishing multiple days, it might be just the ticket, eliminating renting motel room(s) and travelling on and off the ice multiple times as well as

Please let me know your thoughts, no idea too small or opinion too silly.

I have received some good feedback from these other sites and here is a copy of my reply to them.

I think I will build varying sizes to appeal to all group sizes and also avoid having to have a minimum group size which many outfitters have.
I will be fully insuring my business.
There is plenty on parking available although realistically I won't be able monitor the lot or be liable for what goes on at all times. In the years that I have been going there I haven't heard of damage or theft happening, but I suppose it could.
I will be approaching the local bait shops in order to obtain bulk discounts. I am allowed 10 dozen minnows before having to get special licensing.
As an avid fisherman myself I will be staying on the ice for the majority of the day to cater to the customers needs as well as catching the odd fish myself.

Thank you for your input. I was thinking about basing out east of Trenton, not anywhere near the mouth as the current is too strong and the ice unpredictable. I am choosing this area partly because of my own personal success but also because of the ample parking and easy access.
There could also be trophy fishing arranged in the Napanee area, but the Trenton area is ideal for eating size fish.
i am considering smaller huts built for 2 or 4 people not only to keep them light for easy transportation, but for mobility.
i have access to a tracked Argo for transportation purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:55 pm 
Walleye Master

I like it and would say there is a market for this. The only issues would be with ice conditions obviously. You could also look at big Bay Area

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Trenton to Belleville area will be fairly packed with ice hut rentals this year! I know of etleast 4 groups that are renting in that area, includeing 2 new guys this year. I know of 1 new guy that has 10 huts ready to go out in the bayside area. Hopefully the season is good to you guys, but I think it will be a bit of a flooded area with hut rentals. Good luck! :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the input guys.
I guess I'll have to try to stand out from the crowds with exceptional service coupled with reasonable prices.
I'm hoping that by having overnighters available that I will appeal to a particular group of fishers as well as people looking for day rentals.
I have no doubt that there will be many good huts and outfitters to choose from. I have no intentions of cornering the market or trying to be the biggest operator, just 1 of the best.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:14 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Right on man! You will definatly be the only one with over nighter huts! Good luck! 8)
Ps. I was deer hunting last week up near apsley area and A few of the lakes up there were froze over!!! It's coming!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:55 pm 
Walleye Master

Do you plan on providing these bungalows this coming winter??

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:44 pm 
Walleye

I would definitely be interested. Guys at my work would be in too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I am planning on having my huts ready for this winter. I'm hoping its a good cold winter with less snow than last year.
I have been in contact with one of my buddies, an exceptional fisherman and great guy to help me out with guided fishing trips for the elusive trophy walleye in order to fulfil everyone's needs.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 am 
Walleye

I think the over nights will do well for people thAt wanna stay on ice late ect you have a website or page set up

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:25 am 
Walleye Angler

I don't have a website yet. I was thinking about going through the government program that allows you to receive EI while starting the business, but the next available date to start is Jan 12th with 4 weeks after that to be able to register business. So in other words the season would be over by the time I can get started, so I've decided to forgo big brothers assistance and start up the business on my own.

With some helpful input from board members, I've decided to build 8x8s that join together. This allows me to move them easily individually, but also end up with a 8x16 that will allow larger groups with the option of having them usable individually.

I am still going to build a couple smaller 6x8s that will allow me to cater to smaller groups as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm 
Walleye

Sounds awesome Wick!!! you can count me and a few buddies in for an over night or two this winter... In the larger bungalows are you considering the full set up.....propane cooktops, counter space, kitchen table and the like? I am always looking for a reason to stay out on the ice longer.....

I have been up to Nippising a few times and the only dissapointment I found, (other than small walleye) is the fact that careless iresponsible people thow $hite down the holes like fish skeletons.

Good luck to you man I think you are on to something!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:10 pm 
Minnow

I think this is a great idea!! Deffienetyly would be interested in hut rental!! The reason I don't rent huts on quinte is that I find the huts in the places I know of, to be in areas close to operators home rather then on the Wally's. If there is hut rentals in a good area I would be a repeat costomer forsure!! Hope all turns out well and pumped to think I wouldn't have to drag all my equipment around this winter.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate all support and encouragement as well as the constructive criticisms, they let me know where I may be going wrong and give me ideas I hadn't considered.

Thanks Swannie, yes the bungalows will be equipped with a small kitchen area with a propane stove, counter space and possibly a small sink.
As for the table, I was thinking that the folding tables would work best. They would be able to be set out of the way for when the action gets hot. i had thought the the benches/bunks would be able to used with the table, but I could add a couple folding chairs as well.

Keep the ideas coming guys, I'm absorbing all like a sponge.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 pm 
Walleye

Agree 100% on doing well. Great opportunity for a few reasons.

1. saves renting a hotel (x) kilometers away from where you fish on the weekend.

2. Wake up at the crack of dawn and your already on the ice at prime time without the hassle of running all your gear out again in the morning.

3. Just nice to have to opportunity to fish into the night without feeling that urge that you have to leave soon in order to get off the ice and back to the hotel.

Good luck and keep everyone posted on how you make out.

cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 am 
Walleye

Any idea what the rates would be?

banner ad
banner ad