Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

She can climb....

She can carry massive loads....

And she doesn't let minor inconveniences like an external fixator on her leg prevent her from doing stuff....

But this is her first and only fish:

Can someone please help this weekend?

You guys may remember me from back in the day. I used to go fishing a lot with my dad in Picton and Glenora in the fall. My mom had a stroke a few years ago, which makes my dad a 24-7 caregiver. But you can't kill either of them. This is them on Remembrance Day 2014.

What happened is my folks have downsized their house, and with it, the driveway where we used to store our 17' Tracker boat. With nowhere viable to store it, and with it so hard for my dad to arrange care for my mom in order to go away fishing to Quinte, we ended up having to sell the boat.

But man, we caught some damn fine walleyes in our boat over the years!

Anita is from Montreal, I'm from Hamilton. We are meeting halfway in Kingston this weekend, Thursday through Sunday. She really loves fishing, but we have only had access to the canoe. Plus, this weekend is a huge celebration for her - she finally got that damn thing off her leg, and is walking for the first time since March unassisted and without a plaster cast!

If there is anyone with room for a couple people on their boat at any time this weekend - day or night - we would be thrilled to join you. We will be happy to share in gas cost and so on, and take you out to supper or lunch or whatever. I have a huge selection of the good lures we can throw out, along with clip on planer boards and snap-weights and all that fancy stuff I used to know how to use back in the day, but forget how to any more!

It's a big weekend of celebration for Anita, and there's nothing I'd love to see more than that big Anita Smile pictured behind a nice fat Bay of Quinte walleye!

Cheers,
Pete [and Anita]

P.S. Yeah, you're stuck with me, too - but we'll bring along some fine California wine for afterwards! My email is still linked to this account.

P.P.S. Is there some way to change the view on this forum? I keep getting the texts and photos centred in the page, instead of being aligned to the left margin. What gives? Is that some setting I've got set up wrong on my PC? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:56 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

GOSH - a voice from the past with a picture of what he looks like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Pete, looks like the lady knows how to handle herself on the rocks and on the water.

Sorry to hear of your loss and I can appreciate your fathers' situation.

Haven't seen many like the one he got in 2001, they have gotten tougher to catch.

Glad to hear you're still kicking and fishing and climbing.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

Pete I have often what happened to you. I used to really enjoy your posts. Good luck finding a ride on the water, I am here in Quebec and the boat is going away for the winter. I remember that fish of your Dads as well. Take care.

Jimbo

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well, geez ....

You guys might be gettin' old, but it hasn't affected your memory!

Yeah, we're still kickin'. I'm still climbing the big wall El Capitan in Yosemite every spring and fall, 51 different routes and 603 nights on the wall at current count. My dad and I have managed to make it into Algonquin Park most springs, but it requires putting my mom into hospice which has to be arranged a long time in advance. We missed this spring, though, because the ice out was so late, and the third member of our crew couldn't defer the time off he had arranged with his work.

The decision to sell the boat was multi-fold - it was hard to store it anywhere nearby, it is hard to get care for my mom, and also the fishing didn't seem to be what it had been in the past. How do you guys compare the fishing these days to say five or ten years ago? I know it's nothing like it was in the mid- to late-90's, but I'm hoping it's been holding its own lately.

You might see us casting off the docks one evening. We thought about bringing the canoe, and trolling round the harbour at night, but it's going to be pretty darn cold.

It's funny, back in the 90's it seemed you couldn't catch a fish in the daytime, and they only bit in the harbour at night. Then five years later, it was hard to catch fish in the harbour at night, but easier to catch them out in the open water in the daytime. What is the nighttime bite like in Picton Harbour these days?

Oh yeah, here's a fish you guys might remember, from November 1999. I handed the rod to Paulette - it was her first ever walleye - 15 lbs 12 ounces! Sorry the scan is so small.

Geez, and I'd better include my dad's 4.25 pound speckled trout from Algonquin a few years ago!

Thanks for the replies, guys. We shall see who bites at my troll.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:37 am 
Walleye

Too bad you weren't going to be there the following weekend, I would have been glad to take you guys out. Hopefully someone offers up for you.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 pm 
Guppy

re: centered posts. Just refreshing sho0uld shove them back to the left side.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Pete,
Nice to see you are still around and still fishing. As Superdad said "A voice from the past". Hopefully someone will get you two out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 am 
Minnow

Give me a call had a cancellation for sunday and would be happy to help you guys out! 27ft boat heated cabin bbq lunch sound good?

Shawn Banks

905-718-0930

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 am 
Walleye Angler

676 Views in 1.5 days, that is one popular post. That speckled is a beauty.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:30 pm 
Walleye Master

I would take Shawn up on that offer. Amazing boat and better guy. You will have a blast.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:08 am 
Walleye Angler

So glad to hear there's an option for you Pete!! You'd contributed so much to this page in the past with your great stories of late season giant 'eyes. It's got to be a challenge not having 24/7 access to a boat, but it's clear not having a boat isn't keeping you from adventure and kudos to you for taking great care of your family. That says a lot about you. Hope the big 'eyes are on this weekend for you and Anita...tight lines!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

Big-One wrote:
Give me a call had a cancellation for sunday and would be happy to help you guys out! 27ft boat heated cabin bbq lunch sound good?

Shawn Banks

905-718-0930

good job Shawn for extending the offer!!!!!
nice to see our community stepping up pay forward gets pay back
cheerz

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31 am 
Walleye Angler

So I emailed Anita, and told her I'd been trolling around an internet forum. "So what else is new?" she asked.

"No seriously, I was trolling for bites. I wanted to see if anyone would take us out fishing this weekend." Most internet users think that trolling has something to do with little men who live under bridges, but we fishermen know what trolling really is.

"So what did you use for bait?" she asked.

"Um .... you."

"WHAT?!"

As it turned out, Duckie aka Frenchie aka Pierre Leblanc took us out on his superb boat. I would hotlink a picture here, but it seems as though all the photos on his website can't be linked. Not to mention being mostly in French!

Anyway, here is his website, and you can see a picture of his boat. http://www.guidepierreleblanc.ca/bay-of-quinte.html

Yeah, right .... that's why there are fifteen hundred hits on this thread, isn't it? You guys wanted to see a picture of the boat....... Riiiiiiiiight..........

Anyway, we were out on the water by 7am, watching the sun rise ahead of us as we zoomed through the narrows at Glenora and on to deeper water several miles beyond. Duckie threw out a spread of six hot lures on the planer boards with various secret lengths of line and snap weights, which I promised I wouldn't reveal, but would probably tell you if you bought me a beer. ;)

Unfortunately, the walleyes weren't cooperating last Friday, and all of the boats Duckie was communicating with had similar lack of luck, maybe one or two fish each if they were lucky. Conditions seemed perfect, and we were marking fish here and there, but the walleyes were keeping their mouths closed for us.

Anita did, however, save us from getting skunked with this 6 lb sheepshead, which put up a great fight and is at least ten times bigger than her biggest fish ever. So we'll call it an all time Personal Best for Anita.

So we trolled around for a long time, occasionally marking fish down deep. Although Frenchie has downriggers, we didn't want to target the deep fish, knowing with near certainty that bringing them to the top would kill them.

But what can I say? A great time was had by all, and Anita kept smiling in spite of the frigid temperatures and bitter winds. Being on a proper boat with room to walk around, and a canopy that really breaks the wind, was a huge upgrade from our old 17' Tracker, and bigger still than the 15' cartopper we used to use back in the 90's. Although one night back them my dad and I hoisted 39 walleyes out of Picton Harbour into that cartopper .... just sayin'.

So huge thanks to Duckman for a great day on the water!

Cheers,
Pete [and Anita]

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:58 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Glad to hear you and Anita got out to fish.

They weren't cop-operating on Friday for us also.

Friday was bit breezy, Saturday was nice, Mon / Tues & Wed have had winds with gusts to 90KPH, not good for trolling.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:28 pm 
Baitfish

hi

Thanks to you Pete and Anita had some good times on the water
fish was not hungry but at least Anita got her new record lol with
a sheephead
wishing you better luck next time you come down

i was happy to ear all ur stories on arthabasqua lake...... hoping that i got it right !!!!!!

duckie

banner ad