banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ion ice auger
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:27 pm 
Walleye

I am thinking of getting a Ion 40volt power auger. Does anyone have one that can give any pros or cons to me? I usually fish in Quinte and don't move around that much once I am in a spot. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Ion ice auger
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Not sure what the difference in price is, but you might want to check out the new Strikemaster Lithium Lazer. It's 50 volt and says it will drill 56 holes in 24" of ice off a single charge. Speed may not be an issue for you, but head to head the Strikemaster is faster than the Ion. You can check it out on Youtube.

Hope this helps!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:51 pm 
Walleye

Canadian Tire has the Ion on sale here in Windsor this weekend for $499.00 + tax..........$100.00 off normal price
I have a two year old Rapala gas auger that works great or otherwise I would have bought one

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 am 
Walleye

Thanks guys, yes I see it for sale at crappy tire but u chickened out today, very worried about the life span of the battery! But really like how light it is and how quiet it is. More research I guess...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:17 am 
Walleye

I have one I bought last year.. Used it all winter long with no problems.. Very light compared to my old jiffys. Buy the 8 in.. I hear the 10 in model has issues. Im very happy with mine and would buy one over a gas auger any day.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:12 pm 
Walleye Master

I used my buddies Ion last year fishing lakers through 24" of ice. I was impressed, it cut like a champ, until I couldn't cut any more. Batteries getting cold was the issue. I opted for the 8 ", 4 stroke Honda Strikemaster this year and it is as quiet as the Ion with way more torque. I do not regret my purchase, yet.

It only weighs 23 lbs and the wife can start it with ease...... :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:38 pm 
Walleye

I got a Ion 40V ION l8" last year at CT for $500 on sale. Pros: starts easily (with a 2 second pause, for safety reasons), light, cuts well, no gas/oil to mess with, and love the green colour. The only issue is having to keep the battery warm or else it will drain in the cold. Ion sells battery cases with heat pads but you can keep it in your snow suit while inside your hut or in a insulated lunch box with a heat pad. If you don't mind paying extra, it is definitely a big advantage over the hassle-prone gas ones.

banner ad
 Post subject: Ion ice auger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 pm 
Minnow

This will be my third season with the ION auger it has worked awesome the last two seasons with absolutely no issues. I travel by snow mobile or ATV when ice fishing I do keep the battery protected from the wind chill on the machine and install it when I get to my first stop I have cut many of holes all day long and have never run out of battery life. I fish Quinte a few times per year and that amount of ice in most cases your battery will last all day for sure in my opinion. The weight is only 22 lbs very light to Handel you will be very happy with this auger if you purchase it. Canadian tire this week has a great sale on the 8 inch

Good luck with which ever auger you purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banner ad
banner ad