Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How far is too far??
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:39 am 
Walleye Master

Here we go again...I've read this many times on different topics.

Here's a question, at what point should a thread or comment be deleted or edited. The obvious answer is when a personal attack is made or comments just go too far. But beyond that it may not be as easy an answer.

For starters there are always two sides to a story. What's the point in having a discussion if both sides aren't heard and how can you learn anything if you don't hear the other side?

Which leads to everyone has an opinion. And they will not always be the same as your own. But that does not necessarily make the other wrong.

Some people have more experience and better skills than others. Just because one person can't do something doesn't mean someone else can't. It is up to the person themselves to know their own limits and act accordingly. And yes, sometimes people do go too far every year and get into trouble. Sometimes this is due to poor judgement, sometimes it is just plain bad luck.

What bothers me is when someone takes things personal from a select few posts and then never post again because of it. This has happened many times over the years by many different people. There are downsides of taking this approach. These posts are read by others and many good comments are also made in these same threads. Many things are brought out that otherwise may not have been considered. If we all stopped writing posts because of a few negative comments, this board would not exist. Any comment made that does not go along with one's own thoughts should be considered and then taken for what it is worth.

Consider this, these types of threads generally receive the most interest and get people talking more. Some use these threads to consider the other side. Some bring out a lot of valid points that may not have been considered otherwise. Some find them entertaining. Some find them offensive. I'd like to see everyone read a post and take the time to see the posters intent . If a reply is made write it, then stop and read it again making certain it is how you want to respond before you hit submit. In other words think twice about what you post and how you word it.

Because the problems are in the gray areas. So aside from a comment not being one's own opinion, a direct attack or going way too far, when should a post be censored?

Post subject: Re: How far is too far??
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I always heard there were three sides to any story, Yours,Mine, and the Truth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 pm 
Walleye

Good post. Post should be positive. If you have nothing nice to say don't say it. Eat those comments. Makes for a nice place to converse about the TRUTH.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:58 am 
Walleye Master

two things I know is you cant please all the people all the time, and Landshark cant fish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:40 am 
Walleye Master

Nice to hear from you again and very true Grizzly, but you can please some of the people some of the time. And with a bit of effort hopefully you can make it the majority. The rest can be taken with a grain of salt. As for Landshark, I think there will be a comeback somewhere along the line...

I miss reading the great fishing reports from years back from a bunch of great guys because they got pissed off at a few who made them want to quit posting. There are still a few who have done some really good posts and to them I say thank you. I really enjoyed reading them even if I didn't say so. To others that have made valid points but did so in a manner that offended many, all that does is make people stop posting and no one wins when that happens.

The thing is, I'm not saying don't speak your mind, actually I'm saying the exact opposite. But do it in a constructive manner where no one is offended. And if you can't do that, what Walleye19 said... If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:42 am 
Walleye Catcher

adventure wrote:
Nice to hear from you again and very true Grizzly, but you can please some of the people some of the time. And with a bit of effort hopefully you can make it the majority. The rest can be taken with a grain of salt. As for Landshark, I think there will be a comeback somewhere along the line...

I miss reading the great fishing reports from years back from a bunch of great guys because they got pissed off at a few who made them want to quit posting. There are still a few who have done some really good posts and to them I say thank you. I really enjoyed reading them even if I didn't say so. To others that have made valid points but did so in a manner that offended many, all that does is make people stop posting and no one wins when that happens.

The thing is, I'm not saying don't speak your mind, actually I'm saying the exact opposite. But do it in a constructive manner where no one is offended. And if you can't do that, what Walleye19 said... If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it.

Hey guy this *** happens every site you go to,I know there are clowns every where but it seams like the internet finds them all,people are very open with what they have to say,i guest its easier when you don't have to look a man in the eyes.I know these word can be hurtful ,as i have be bashed on here myself.I sure do miss the days before internet when you have to tall face to face :( :( .like walleye19 said ,i can still hear my mother say if you have nothing good to say keep your mouth shut.There are some really good guys on this site ,and i really in joy reading their post ,keep up the good work guys.Thanks for all the reads guy .Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:25 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Dam i was just going to start flinging crap at Grizz :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:46 pm 
Walleye Master

Fling away at that guy, if anyone actually deserves it...

Disclaimer: any good hearted abuse or fun banters between two consenting parties is acceptable. As long as it doesn't go too far, whatever that is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 am 
Walleye Catcher

Merry Christmas to ALL :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:07 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Merry Xmas to you too Peter and to everyone else as well.
Tim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:21 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

tight lines n merry hoho folks!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 am 
Walleye

Always remember what my father said, It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open it and confirm it.

Take the grandkids fishin