Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:28 pm 
Goby

In search of a guide for 4-8 guys on January 31, we have all of our own equipment (portable shacks, ice transportation (atv's snowmobiles), gas augers, rods, tackle, and we can pick up our own bait) Basically looking for a guide to hopefully help put us on some fish for the day, and possibly pick your brain for a few tips and tricks on quinte. Other than that we will be coming fully prepared. If anyone has any recommendations or knows anyone could you please comment with their contact info, or if theirs any guides on here interested would love to hear from you, even just a knowledgeable individual from the area that could help us out would be much appreciated, don't haveee to be a professional!! Not looking for any guaranteed catches just a point in the right direction and some helpful hints is all. Thanks guys hopefully you all can help me out!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:40 am 
Minnow

All the info you need is on this board. Location, lures, and techniques are all here. Great thread last year that helped me was the "how to get the mark to bite" check some past threads out it's definitely worth the time. I Was skunked for 3yrs in a row before I found this board.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Wabler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:22 pm 
Walleye Master

no atv no sled for a few weeks yet and all the info you need is right here use the search for places read all the early ice info from years past search .... look for hotels or places to stay . look at tylercurts maps and access locations thread........ you don't need a guide with this board you can guide yourself be safe and happy fishing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

All the replies are bang on!
Plus, isn't the best part of the puzzle finding fish on your own? Most gratifying in my opinion.
Time on the ice is the same as time on the water
Teppy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree finding fish on your own is gratifying, but the help of a guide on day one shouldn't be minimized.

A guide will greatly cut down the learning curve. From location to lure selection and presentation a guide will make a big difference. Not to mention, aside from last year, ice on Quinte is treacherous.

Can you find fish on your own using the board? Absolutely.

Can everyone afford a guide? No.

Does hiring a guide minimize you as an angler? Absolutely not.

If your spending money on a trip to Quinte and you can afford a guide I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it. Just my opinion and for those that don't know, I am a guide on Quinte so my opinion comes from that perspective. However, for what it's worth, I hire guides when I fish different water.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:34 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Scott,
I wasn't knocking him for using a guide... Or not for that matter. We are all Different. I have fished the tournament trails and all over. My preference now is to fish new water and figure the puzzles out myself. Where lots of people don't have the time nor the patience.
Quinte is big water, with danger ice conditions on the best of years. This alone is a great reason to use the knowledge of a guide!
Cheers and best of luck to all in the new year!
Teppy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:43 pm 
Walleye Master

Teppy,

I realize my post looks like it was a response to you. My apologize. I wasn't trying to single you out and in fact I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

I can't agree more that figuring it out on your own is more gratifying, but there is a case to be made for using a guide and it seemed like this thread lacked that opinion. I just wanted to add mine.

Best of luck in the new year to you too.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:31 pm 
Walleye

West Lake Willows wrote:
I agree finding fish on your own is gratifying, but the help of a guide on day one shouldn't be minimized.

A guide will greatly cut down the learning curve. From location to lure selection and presentation a guide will make a big difference. Not to mention, aside from last year, ice on Quinte is treacherous.

Can you find fish on your own using the board? Absolutely.

Can everyone afford a guide? No.

Does hiring a guide minimize you as an angler? Absolutely not.

If your spending money on a trip to Quinte and you can afford a guide I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it. Just my opinion and for those that don't know, I am a guide on Quinte so my opinion comes from that perspective. However, for what it's worth, I hire guides when I fish different water.

Scott

+ 1 I could not agree more. I have hired guides countless times for fishing and water fowling and every time it has enhanced the experience and my knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 am 
Walleye Master

Scott I 100% agree with you. there is so many advantages to hire a guide most you covered and the list can be added to greatly. a lot less hassles no need for your own gear. no reason to guess if your going to the right spot or not. heck the list seems endless ...... in this case best advice I gave was to leave sleds and atvs at home, it seems like they have the gear and know how to fish. so all they need is in the back pages.... less good ice conditions and its my experience a good guide will always error to the side of caution to keep there clients safe. whats not to respect about that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:03 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Send me a pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:42 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I completely agree with the idea that cracking the walleye code on your own is extremely rewarding however if you are limited to just a couple of days your best bet is a guide for a few reasons. A good guide doesn't just own a lot of gear, a good guide has a strong reliable network on the water. The board is great info however it can be a day or two behind and with these fish the difference of a few hundred yards can make all the difference... We've all seen it! With a good guide you will benefit from his experience, his technique and his network which can be a real day saver!

As a guide I wouldn't hesitate if I was going to a lake like simcoe or Nippising to use a local guide. We have a very strong network on the open and hard water and it has saved the day more than once.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:15 pm 
Walleye

I will always hire a guide when I come to Quinte, mostly for safe ice. We are not from the area and only make the trip every other year or so at best.
For us to venture onto ice that we are not familiar with (especially Quinte) is asking for trouble. You folks that have fished it most of your life know the areas to stay away from so this is not an issue.
Coughing up a few bucks to make sure we make it back home safely is minor in my books.
This is an excellent site and I am always impressed with the information everyone shares to help us all be better fisherman and have a safe outing :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:23 am 
Walleye

Great replies and info so far.

So "at the end of the day", is there any guide available (contact info?) now in the Quinte area? I might be interested in getting such a guide for some ice fishin' for walleye this coming Saturday or Sunday (Jan 10, Jan 11). Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:31 am 
Walleye Catcher

xiaolu wrote:
Great replies and info so far.

So "at the end of the day", is there any guide available (contact info?) now in the Quinte area? I might be interested in getting such a guide for some ice fishin' for walleye this coming Saturday or Sunday (Jan 10, Jan 11). Thanks.

There is lot of ads for guides on home page.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:55 am 
Walleye

Give Harry a call 905-260-2229 or email him at harry@fishquinte.com. I have fished with him lots of times and he knows his stuff. His website is www.fishquinte.com. He is a great guy and always puts you on fish.

RangerZ20[size=200][color=#0040FF][/color][/size]

banner ad