Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 am 
Minnow

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has the one or two piece keep a float suit that Canadian tire sells and wanted to know if they are a good suit? Not sure if they would be as warm as the better brand names
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:11 am 
Walleye

I have a 2 piece from Canadian Tire. I think its the Ice Armor brand. Keeps me nice and warm, not to bulky and the ratings that I have seen online and in videos have been very good. I have had mine 2 years now and fished quite often in it, no stitching has come out and it seems to hold up real well to my abuse. For the money you could go to Sail and buy a Mustang jacket when their on sale. But Canadian Tire suits seem A+ to me. If they weren't they would not be able to keep selling them under the floatation suit name.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:39 am 
Walleye Angler

I have a one piece keep a float and have used itfor the last 4-5 yrs and its held up well and I would recommend it, good purchase.
It is surprisingly warm but with a floater suit you aren't getting it for warmth you get it because it's a coast guard approved PFD and can save your life. I personally don't use my outerware for warmth, I use it for wind and waterproof qualities then I layer underneath for warmth. If you are looking for warmth there are non PFD suits that are fully insulated and provide more warm and there are some cross over suits that have floatation and insulating properties but are not CG approved because they don't have the same level of flotation of a true floater suit. Lots of options and a wide price range, I wouldn't get too hung up on the price though because a good suit should last you 8-10 yrs, so the cost per year difference is negligible.
Most of the 2 piece non PFD and crossover suits have better functionality for ice fishing than the one piece suits. Lots of pockets etc. Clam, Frabill, Striker Ice all make quality products.
I also own a two piece non PDF clam icefishing suit but it's not fully insulated it's just a shell which as I said above I prefer, because I can dress according to the weather and use it in the fall and spring for open water fishing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have a keep a float, and have used it for 5 years now. I think it is comfortable, practical and very warm. Haven't gone through the ice in it, and hope I never do. The only hard part about wearing it is taking a piss...but other than that, I would say that for the price it is an excellent suit!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:16 am 
Walleye Angler

I bought an Arctic Armor 2 piece after going through the ice off Mass. Point 3 yrs. ago.[I did have a PFD on, which I feel saved me] Did alot of research...tried them all on. Picked the A.A. as it's much more flexible than the others, has lots of pockets, and it's water proof and warm...although on real cold days I do layer with an extra sweat shirt. And boy does it float !! I tried it out in the summer...

banner ad
banner ad