Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Braid /super ice line
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 pm 
Minnow

Braid /super ice line What to spool up with? What's everyone's Favorite ? What dose not work / ices up freezes and other problems? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:38 pm 
Walleye Master

Different lines serve different purposes. Braid tends to freeze up more than mono does, so you have to determine whether you will be fishing outside, or in a heated hut.
Mono stretches and braid does not. If you are fishing in deep water, mono is probably not the best choice because you won't feel light strikes, and you will have less of a hookset due to the stretch in the line and with braid you feel everything and get a stronger hookset. If you are in shallow water, the stretch factor in mono will probably not be an issue, so mono would be alright.
Fluorocarbon I believe has the strongest abrasion resistance. A fluoro leader of 3 or 4 feet is a good idea when fighting the fish close to the hole when the line is rubbing on the bottom of the ice from the fish swimming around.

There is no right or wrong I guess. Just depends on what type of fishing you are doing, and choose the best setup for the conditions.

There are probably a few other points I've missed, so hopefully some other board members will give their opinions.

Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 am 
Walleye Angler

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Many anglers have rod and reel spooled up for specific tasks. The previous post said it well for braid and mono and there is a third line floro to consider. But I find it funny that there is always that guy who walks up with a spool of twine like line and a willow branch. And he walks back with fish every time while you are sorting though hundreds of dollars worth of gear and no fish..... Experience knowledge and understanding go a long way to a successful day.
Good luck with your season

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:16 pm 
Walleye

I find out if all the superlines or hybrid lines that Fireline accumulates the least amount of Ice build up. Not sure if the reason but I definitely see a noticeable difference.

banner ad