Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm 
Walleye Master

IMBOW wrote:
Question on your jigging technique - you seem to use a pretty subtle technique with what I would describe as gentle lifts and drops of say 1 to 1.5 feet. You also appear to take pretty long pauses. I thought I saw you make a couple of shorter "shakes" once maybe as well. It was hard to tell, but appeared that you were reeling up some to raise the bait and the fish. Do you or anyone else care to share their favorite "motion" and why they think it works. For example, I fished 1/17, 1/18, and 1/19. Nothing worked for me on 1/17. The fish would come in, but I could NOT make them bite. On 1/18, I saw maybe a half dozen fish and got one 7 pounder to commit to a series of continuous 1 foot lift and drops with no pauses. on 1/19, I and my group of four caught lots of fish to 10.3 pounds and they seemed to hit everything from spastic shakes to continuous lifts and drops. They still didn't seem to want to come off the bottom much, so we had to keep it in their face to get bit.

the fish will tell you what they want when the bite is on they will hit a moving beer can top when they arnt feeding hard you have to work them to me and most my friends that's when fishing gets interesting and gives the most reword. honestly ive fished with some serious hardcore fishermen some days they kill them with there ways if you are lucky they will show you and you will catch fish with them........ the more tricks you have in your back pocket the better your chance is to catch fish at different times thru the day if you jig all day and cant get them to hit it makes for a long day and few fish to show for your efforts. when the fish are actively feeding it can be ass easy as one minnow in a hook drop it down and its fish on before your line hits bottom,,,, books have been written on this subject, and a lot of theory's. bottom line is learning to read a fish as fast as you can and adjust before you turn it off and it leaves. keep its intrest you now stand at least half a chance at catching it I know this really dosnt answer your question but in any given day im liable to trigger a fish using anyone of dozen tricks lure size big flash, no flash 3 minnows one minnow a minnow head high jigging pounding the bottom aggressive rips. and sometimes pause until the fish licks its way up the minnow to the hook..... I wish there was a good answer to your question but there just isn't...
And to me, if a fish wont come off bottom more than a foot that's the fish im looking for I bet if you ask most guys who hunt big fish they will tell you its the vipers that raise up and smash a lure 10 foot off bottom but almost never will a true hog rise more than a foot to chase a lure that's the one I want to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm 
Walleye Master

Walleye Wizard wrote:
That's the same pet fish you catch every year. Lol
Congrats on a beauty of a fish.
J

and that was SUPOSED to be OUR secret lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 pm 
Walleye Master

Treasure Island wrote:
Nice fish Grizz
Excellant video too
What kind of camera were you using?

used a Go Pro Hero 2

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I appreciate the honest answer re: jigging. I have walleye fished for 30 plus years, but have only ice-fished for them the past two. I have also only used electronics on the ice for the past two years as well. Prior to that, my ice-fishing jigging technique was a random mish-mash until I started getting bit and then I tried to stay with it. I have only started to crack the code of reading the fish response on the flasher, but have continued to "study" the response to my jigging, measured by fish caught relative to everyone else. I am not a gamer, but I am addicted to this game. After putting some pigs on the ice (and then releasing all of them), this is my drug of choice. I will also admit to watching other people and working hard to evaluate what they are doing relative to success. Sometimes kind of hard considering I tend to stay away from the pack. In open water, we have a whole series of moves ranging from scratching and dragging, to hopping, to snap jigging, and various combinations. I tend to start aggressive and then back down to subtle, but I am always trying to mix it up. I have also mixed in aggressive when it's slow and no fish are showing up to try and call them. Once I see them, I tend to work it slow, but after comparing your brand of slow and mine, I can see I have been a little on the hyper side.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:18 pm 
Walleye Master

IMBOW wrote:
I appreciate the honest answer re: jigging. I have walleye fished for 30 plus years, but have only ice-fished for them the past two. I have also only used electronics on the ice for the past two years as well. Prior to that, my ice-fishing jigging technique was a random mish-mash until I started getting bit and then I tried to stay with it. I have only started to crack the code of reading the fish response on the flasher, but have continued to "study" the response to my jigging, measured by fish caught relative to everyone else. I am not a gamer, but I am addicted to this game. After putting some pigs on the ice (and then releasing all of them), this is my drug of choice. I will also admit to watching other people and working hard to evaluate what they are doing relative to success. Sometimes kind of hard considering I tend to stay away from the pack. In open water, we have a whole series of moves ranging from scratching and dragging, to hopping, to snap jigging, and various combinations. I tend to start aggressive and then back down to subtle, but I am always trying to mix it up. I have also mixed in aggressive when it's slow and no fish are showing up to try and call them. Once I see them, I tend to work it slow, but after comparing your brand of slow and mine, I can see I have been a little on the hyper side.

You are well on your way with your passion will come the rewords Cant really add much but I can say ive learned that knowing how your gig works is an important thing many guys miss and that jig will or should dictate to you how to use it my best advice to anyone is to drop your jig down 10 feet and watch how it reacts to your motions top side what a twitch actually does to the jig below, will the jig swim? what does it do when you raise what it does when you reel up slow how does your jig react to a 3 foot drop how does it react to a 3 inch drop.... knowing what the jig actually does then will teach you how to work it on bottom where the fish are............. many times here ive seen posts on what is your favorite or go too lure.......... do all 10 guys work the same lure the exact same way?? I doubt it. It isnt the lure its the jerk at the end of the pole this is why I always give credit to the fish

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

cool video grizz and nice fish thanks for shareing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06 pm 
Walleye

thanks for the entertaining video and thank u so much for taking the time to answer imbow's question about your jiggin technique in such great detail.

now can u just tell us which hula popper you use, i was looking for it in the video but you kept it a secret.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

Great video Grizz !!

Nice to see someone actually catch a fish.

Maple

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:03 pm 
Walleye Master

sash wrote:
thanks for the entertaining video and thank u so much for taking the time to answer imbow's question about your jiggin technique in such great detail.

now can u just tell us which hula popper you use, i was looking for it in the video but you kept it a secret.

Haha. well I could use the if I told you id have to kill you speech lol .... you guys might not believe this but here it goes, I have always been a sidewinder guy and I caught this fish on a copy of a sidewinder I call it a micro sidewinder 5 years ago wal mart sold a lure pack for about 4 dollars in that pack was a little lure that looks just like a sidewinder I just had to get it lol I wanna tell you that little lure has caught me more fish I have since found another so I have two of those lures they got so chewed up that they are rusting and man I think they are getting better with age I can run that lure in so many ways I dare say 80% of the fish ive caught in the last 4 years have come on that dam $1 hunk of junk lure .......as a rule I only use the hula popper when im trying to show off or impress a new fishing buddy lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:34 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Sweet video old man. Letter perfect.

Ass Monkey

banner ad
banner ad