Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm 
Guppy

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this community and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Adrian and I absolutely love to fish! I'm 24 years old and have been fishing since I can remember with my dad. We usually fish for bass every summer out of our boat on rice lake and the trent river and have a blast. I also go fishing a lot with my friends who love to fish and get outdoors as much as I do. This year we've decided to pitch in and invest in all the equipment needed for ice fishing and learn the ropes. We've been ice fishing before renting huts, but decided that we would like to go out with our own equipment. With this said, we've only been ice fishing through reputable hut operators and always trust that the ice is safe. I've read up on different threads and it seems that the ice on BOQ is very unpredictable, wewould appreciate any help we can get on staying safe on the ice. Any information that anybody can give us on things to look out for, and general ice safety on BOQ (where we are most concerned). We've invested in a spud, flotation suits, and ice claws for everyone in our group, but don't know much experience on hard water. Our general thought for finding safe ice is to see where other people are setup, and walk towards that area but as I've read changes in ice thickness on the BOQ can change drastically from one area to another. Once again, any information would be greatly appreciated! We love to get out fishing, but would like do it as safely. I know that no ice is safe ice, but hopefully we can learn more about BOQ. Thank you, cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Welcome to the board hope you learn alot and share your experience as well.
I'd try Big Island as the ice seems to be forming well from the reports out there, upper bay usually ices in first, gold and green seem to be working , ether single or double tipped. You might have to try a few jigs till you find one you have confidence with, everyone has their favourite....
Good Luck out there and make sure to check the ice as you go.
Tim

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Big bay has the best ice and everyone is reporting good catches. It always has the best reports.

Good luck,
BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Welcome to the board. Glad to see that safety is your main concern, and catching fish is secondary. I'm no Quinte expert, but I think learning a few simple "rules" will help you stay safe. There are areas of the Bay that are considered high current areas. These locations will typically be thinner ice, or take longer to freeze up, and will also lose their safety factor with mild weather. Try to learn where areas are with little or no current, and they should be the safer areas, or places that freeze up first. Keep an eye on the weather/temperature forecasts. Long stretches of cold temps, or mild temps should be a good indication of what's going on. Snow on the ice could also be a factor. The list could go on and on, but this should be a good starting point. Keep reading current reports. There is a lot of info on here.

Hope this helps!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:32 pm 
Guppy

Great, thanks a lot Tyler, BATMAN, and Walleye 9! So it's probably a safe bet to walk out from Point Ann or Big Island correct? Also, will definitely be checking the ice as I go. Very new to this, but I would guess 1-2 solids strikes with a spud and the ice is good to walk on? I see a lot of people just walking out or riding out with ATVs and sleds without having to check the ice, but I guess they're more familiar with the area? Also, how would I be able to determine areas with high currents? I'm guessing the more narrow parts of the BOQ such as Long Reach and Telegraph Narrows as shown on this map? http://www.fishingbayofquinte.com/links/maps/locations/

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm 
Walleye Catcher

ali0524 wrote:
Great, thanks a lot Tyler, BATMAN, and Walleye 9! So it's probably a safe bet to walk out from Point Ann or Big Island correct? Also, will definitely be checking the ice as I go. Very new to this, but I would guess 1-2 solids strikes with a spud and the ice is good to walk on? I see a lot of people just walking out or riding out with ATVs and sleds without having to check the ice, but I guess they're more familiar with the area? Also, how would I be able to determine areas with high currents? I'm guessing the more narrow parts of the BOQ such as Long Reach and Telegraph Narrows as shown on this map? http://www.fishingbayofquinte.com/links/maps/locations/

you are right the narrow are high current areas there is good ice pretty much every where now it a long walk from point ann to big island you would be better driving around to wagers farm you will see other guy out there just go out there and find a spot 15 to 20 fow .i allway try to say away from the crowd abit I have better luck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:04 am 
Walleye Catcher

Welcome Ali! Lots of good info here already. I don't know how hard you swing a spud, but 2 hits and through is not safe for me to walk on. How quick a spud goes through ice has a lot of variables, like how hard you hit, how heavy the spud is and how soft the ice is. Use your spud to test while you are walking to ensure the ice in front of your foot is good. Stop and drill test holes and measure the ice - especially early and late season. I use my ice scoop to measure, I drew on inch markers on the handle, flip it around and hook the top of handle on bottom of ice, this will give you an accurate measurement - watch for changes in the ice as you go and you will quickly learn what to look for. I don't walk on less than 3"....but clear black ice is much harder/safer than soft white ice. Ice picks are a great idea, keep them around your neck, in your sleeve, somewhere easy to get to in a pinch. Also have a rope with a throw tied on readily available and tell your crew where it is located in your sled. Don't wear a backpack, its not going to help you get out if you go through. There's lots of youtube videos on how to get out of the water if you break through, good to watch a few of those.

The high current areas I've experienced are deseronto and huffs although there are others. Look at a map for areas where rivers come into the bay or the bay narrows down - those areas have current. The ice can change REALLY fast, like in a few steps. It's pretty solid in most areas of the bay right now - just don't take make assumptions and check as you go.

Good luck out there, make sure you post up some pics.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:37 pm 
Guppy

Hi DL, those are some really great tips. Thank you, I appreciate your input, very valuable. As I was saying for spudding, I was thinking that if the ice withstands 2 hits with the spud I can assume it's safe to walk on? Also, in regards to Deseronto and Huffs I see that they are more narrow parts which have high currents. If we decide to get out there, to find a safe path to a setup location I can use that method of spudding? Just want to make sure before heading out there, I feel pretty confident with the ice thickness on bigger parts of the Bay, but would love to learn more about how to get out safely on the higher current areas since I see a lot of members having a lot of success in those areas. Thanks!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:58 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well, you probably could walk on ice that a spud goes through on 2 hits. I just don't. I only hit the ice with one really hard hit in front of my feet at I'm moving (my spud is very heavy), but every once in a while I will stop and hit the same spot repeatedly till it goes through . I turn around if it's 2 hits. Drilling and measuring is the best way and I do that more in early and late season. I think at this time of year the ice is good and strong most places. I've only been to hay bay and huffs this year and the ice was good (2 weeks ago).

You will get to know your spud and the ice, I can usually tell by feel and sound if the quality of the ice is changing, that's when I hit it repeatedly or drill to check.

Send the fat guy first, lol.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:55 pm 
Guppy

Awesome, thanks a lot DL! This will definitely help me when I get out to BOQ next Saturday

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

If you have any questions about specific locations and ice conditions give me a shout. I monitor ice conditions for ontario travel from brighton bay to wellers bay and from Trenton bay to the reach.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:32 pm 
Guppy

FishinMagician wrote:
If you have any questions about specific locations and ice conditions give me a shout. I monitor ice conditions for ontario travel from brighton bay to wellers bay and from Trenton bay to the reach.

Hi FishinMagician, that's awesome! Thank you so much, I will definitely give you a shout if I'm having any doubts about ice conditions where I'm heading. For our first trip to Quinte this Saturday we plan on walking out from Bellville from one of the two access points. I've read that ice conditions there are quite good so I will definitely be at ease!

banner ad
banner ad