banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:31 pm 
Goby

It's to bad he ended up in hospital but why would u consider driving your truck on the ice in the first place get a quad or snowmobile or walk like common sense. It hasnt even been a cold winter so that's stupidity no one should feel bad for the guy. Now there is a truck stuck in bay polluting it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 pm 
Perch

mux - walleyes only wrote:
Insurance doesn't cover it. You're "off road".

Guy will be in for the recovery cost, plus an MNR fine for polluting the lake.

What if your driving down a bush road and you roll your truck?

You're covered anywhere if you have comprehensive and your vehicle is a 4x4...

But check with your broker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 pm 
Walleye Master

Name calling, now how useless is that.

Stupidity, taking a chance or being smart. Here's my take:
Stupidity is doing something you know very well you can't do and it will have a bad outcome, but do it anyway. But where would we be if stupid people didn't do stupid things all the time. No American Funniest videos to entertain us. Nobody to make you think you are smarter than you really are.

Taking a chance means just that. There are different levels on this. You can take a long thought out educated chance or a split second wild chance. Both are still a chance. And how many things have we achieved through taking chances that otherwise never would have happened...too long a list.

Being smart takes education and experience and being confident everything will always be perfect every time. (is that stupidity?) Of course this is the safest approach. But some might call this a chicken approach and boring. One thing is for sure, we would not be as advanced if this was the only approach taken and we would be a lot more bored. No limits are pushed or exceeded and hard to learn from mistakes on this one.

All approaches have their pros and cons. Using a combination of these results in a wide variety of outcomes. But no matter which approach you choose, sooner or late you're going to get caught in an unfortunate situation and it can happen to any of us. Space shuttles have exploded due to the simplest mistake by some of the smartest people. And some of the dumbest people have become rich and famous.

People were called stupid earlier on this year because they walked on the ice. Then people were called stupid because they drove their sleds and atv's on the ice. Now we have others calling people stupid who drive their trucks out being stupid and they should only walk or drive sleds or atv's on the ice. Wasn't that stupid before? Why not check any recommended safe ice conditions chart from any trustworthy site. On average, 15 inches of ice can support 10 tons. When I drilled holes in a consistent water condition area and found 15 inches of ice, I had no problem driving my truck out this year. My butt doesn't weigh that much. Feel free to call me crazy if you want, but don't call me stupid.

All I can say to any name caller is stay off the ice altogether then. Thin ice could be anywhere and so are dangerous holes that other fishermen have made. My friend fell in a hole walking back in the dark once. While you are at it, stay off the water as well, after all boats sink too. Look at the guy last fall that it happened to. And come to think of it, maybe you shouldn't fish. Hooks are sharp and you might get one stuck in you. Look on the wall in Trenton hospital of the all the lures hanging there from ones that have been pulled out of fishermen. And definitely stay away from the waters edge. You could slip and fall like I did I about 15 years ago broke two ribs that way. Or maybe we are all just stupid too?

To the guy in this thread who went through in his truck, like almost everyone else on here I don't know the whole story and as a result I am smart enough not to cast judgement and call him a name. After all, I'll bet he is just like the rest of us.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:31 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

adventure wrote:
Name calling, now how useless is that.

Stupidity, taking a chance or being smart. Here's my take:
Stupidity is doing something you know very well you can't do and it will have a bad outcome, but do it anyway. But where would we be if stupid people didn't do stupid things all the time. No American Funniest videos to entertain us. Nobody to make you think you are smarter than you really are.

Taking a chance means just that. There are different levels on this. You can take a long thought out educated chance or a split second wild chance. Both are still a chance. And how many things have we achieved through taking chances that otherwise never would have happened...too long a list.

Being smart takes education and experience and being confident everything will always be perfect every time. (is that stupidity?) Of course this is the safest approach. But some might call this a chicken approach and boring. One thing is for sure, we would not be as advanced if this was the only approach taken and we would be a lot more bored. No limits are pushed or exceeded and hard to learn from mistakes on this one.

All approaches have their pros and cons. Using a combination of these results in a wide variety of outcomes. But no matter which approach you choose, sooner or late you're going to get caught in an unfortunate situation and it can happen to any of us. Space shuttles have exploded due to the simplest mistake by some of the smartest people. And some of the dumbest people have become rich and famous.

People were called stupid earlier on this year because they walked on the ice. Then people were called stupid because they drove their sleds and atv's on the ice. Now we have others calling people stupid who drive their trucks out being stupid and they should only walk or drive sleds or atv's on the ice. Wasn't that stupid before? Why not check any recommended safe ice conditions chart from any trustworthy site. On average, 15 inches of ice can support 10 tons. When I drilled holes in a consistent water condition area and found 15 inches of ice, I had no problem driving my truck out this year. My butt doesn't weigh that much. Feel free to call me crazy if you want, but don't call me stupid.

All I can say to any name caller is stay off the ice altogether then. Thin ice could be anywhere and so are dangerous holes that other fishermen have made. My friend fell in a hole walking back in the dark once. While you are at it, stay off the water as well, after all boats sink too. Look at the guy last fall that it happened to. And come to think of it, maybe you shouldn't fish. Hooks are sharp and you might get one stuck in you. Look on the wall in Trenton hospital of the all the lures hanging there from ones that have been pulled out of fishermen. And definitely stay away from the waters edge. You could slip and fall like I did I about 15 years ago broke two ribs that way. Or maybe we are all just stupid too?

To the guy in this thread who went through in his truck, like almost everyone else on here I don't know the whole story and as a result I am smart enough not to cast judgement and call him a name. After all, I'll bet he is just like the rest of us.

Well I must agree with you here, and it is a funny thing chance is.
If the guy goes through the Ice he is foolish for that chance he took.
If the same guy made it and was the 2nd to 1000th person we would say "yep so did everyone else"
if he was the first one to do it and makes it "Buy you a beer Bud, you have balls"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:10 am 
Guppy

so did they ever get the truck off the ice?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

mux - walleyes only wrote:
Insurance doesn't cover it. You're "off road".

Guy will be in for the recovery cost, plus an MNR fine for polluting the lake.

This is not true. In almost every case everything is covered. Been in the business of dealing with insurance companies and vehicle damages for 25ish years and I've seen several. And i've seen brokers tell customers its not covered when it is too btw. I've actually never seen one that wasn't covered. (one that had insurance that is)

For the name callers. The guy obviously made a mistake. We've all done things that we shouldn't have i'm sure. Sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't. I know I have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:45 pm 
Walleye Master

is that coverage coming from collision coverage or comp coverage?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:50 pm 
Walleye

No the truck has not been recovered. still sitting almost up to the Windows. Going to be a fun one to recover..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm actually not sure i don't remember that. i cOuld probably check.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:54 pm 
Walleye

Mine is covered under comp. If I drive off the ice into open water I am NOT covered. Onlt covered if the ice breaks and the truck goes down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:07 pm 
Walleye Master

in every comprehensive wording i've read, your vehicle cannot be moving to claim under comp.

either way, working in the insurance industry, I read misconceptions every day.

i suggest anyone who wants to be sure you're covered contact your broker and get it in writing that you are covered.

provide examples and situations so there is no confusion.

once you receive a response, in writing, keep it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 am 
Walleye

How far from shore is this truck

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 am 
Guppy

must of got it off the ice truck is not there now. good job !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:39 am 
Walleye Wisdom

or it sunk. i wonder which

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:41 am 
Walleye Angler

For the bay environment's sake hopefully they got it out already and not the latter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad