Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

http://www.intelligencer.ca/2015/02/11/ ... s-in-trial

The trial against Aaron Champken hit the Intell today....still no charges of murder.
For those that don't know, Charlie D was a member here.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:55 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Same guy involved here too : http://www.ckwstv.com/2014/02/07/roll-over-leads-to-impaired-charge/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:41 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Finally ..... http://www.quintenews.com/2015/04/man-found-guilty-of-obstructing-police-in-dopking-death/84997/

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 am 
Walleye Angler

A very sad end to a very murky matter. He knows more than he is telling police but there's no way to get it out of him.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

The way it sounds to me is two guys go out drinking and smoking weed in the boat, one stands up to take a piss and tragically goes overboard. Other guy can't help him then realizes he is drunk and stoned and doesn't want to deal with the cops so makes up a BS story causing even more pain for the family and wastes probably 100k+ of tax payer money on unnecessary police investigation and trial. Just stupid all around.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 pm 
Walleye Master

I ave to agree with the above, sad

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't agree with the above posts, the decision or the sentence....

We all knew who was guilty of this crime within the first 48 hours, something the prosecution failed to prove, unfortunately.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

jjz wrote:
The way it sounds to me is two guys go out drinking and smoking weed in the boat, one stands up to take a piss and tragically goes overboard. Other guy can't help him then realizes he is drunk and stoned and doesn't want to deal with the cops so makes up a BS story causing even more pain for the family and wastes probably 100k+ of tax payer money on unnecessary police investigation and trial. Just stupid all around.

What are you going to get charged with if you tell the cops that story? Open liquor? That wouldn't even charge you with poss. Sorry, there's no way it's that simple IMHO.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

Parksy wrote:
jjz wrote:

What are you going to get charged with if you tell the cops that story? Open liquor? That wouldn't even charge you with poss. Sorry, there's no way it's that simple IMHO.

You are right, for a normal person worrying about booze/drug charges or even DUI wouldnt be your first concern in this situation but Iam guessing its not his first run in with the law. His judgement is probably not that stellar on a good day so couple that with being impaired and you get some bad decisions. I just think if there was anything close to enough evidence for a more serious charge the crown would have charged him then pleaded it down.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:26 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

From what I have heard the autopsy showed there was no foul play involed. As jjz said in a previous post I think he probably was pretty close to what happened.Can't charge a guy with no evidence.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:32 pm 
Walleye Angler

Nothing to really have an opinion on as only two people only know what really happened and one is no longer here

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:21 am 
Walleye

jjz wrote:

A friend of mine who worked for an Ontario police force in the Marine Unit once told me that, sadly, the majority of bodies they pull out of the water fit almost exactly into the description of this tragedy. Intoxication, no life jacket or PFD, and clear evidence that the guy (because 95% of the time the deceased is a male) was standing or hanging off of the boat to take a leak/dump. I myself have fit into that description and feel lucky to have avoided disaster.

Stay safe out there this season.

One thing I wonder from the reports above is, did buddy who stayed in the boat attempt a rescue? Did he gun the motor or swerve the boat as a joke, causing his "buddy" to fall? And how does someone become so seemingly self important as to consider their own "legal safety" ahead of the care and concern of his friend and that friend's family? That seeming self-importance is the most disgusting aspect of this story and leads me to believe that, because of folks like that, our entire humanity has slipped a little.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

banner ad
banner ad