Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:10 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:06 pm 
Perch

Well it seems that I've opened up a can of worms here haven't I?! Hence my meaning on the very first post of this thread "I'm ready for the crap to hit the fan!"
I'm digging out my big spoon to see what other "issues" I can come up with, to keep us all occupyed while we wait for the weather to cool!

Guys, there's more than enough information on this board for anyone with a little knowledge to get a good start. Dr. Piton was kind enough to essentially spell it out for you! You can also review past posts to gain more insight and knowledge. You just have to be willing to work your way though it, be organized and it's all there! I think that if we cut out the personal attacks and focus on what I thought was my main issue, people posting all over the world, we can all find a happy place in which to enjoy the resouce and swap info!
Yah, I'd like to see video of folks catching and releasing fish. I video tape most of my outings so I can yearn for the fall all year round! I just don't think every board in the U.S. needs to know! And yah, I did see the InFisherman article, so what. They also recommend atleast a dozen other "hotspots".
I guess I don't get the attraction of being the centre of attention to a group of people geographically removed from the area, because you were able to catch some fish! Perhaps some introspective thought on there place in the world and their lives would be a better use of their energy.
I'm stapping on my double padded head gear, anticipating your responses! I'm keeping an eye on the south shore of Lake Ontario horizon, waiting to see someone go nuclear about my post!
Good luck to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:32 pm 
Baitfish

Targa,
This will be my last response to your opinions.These are my opinions,
1) you think that too many people are coming to BOQ ,because of the "bragging on other boards' Too bad.You have no control over what other people say or do.
2)You called these people that get their info from the net "freeloaders"
I think that is just plan rude.These people are trying to get the most info they can so that they catch fish when the come.Most people don`t have an extra 300 to "buy tackle at the local bait shop" so they can get some info from the locals(congats to you that you can afford this )I guess when you shell out 300 it`s called "learning the craft" of fishing
3) You said that you have"a lot of places to fish to get away from the freeloaders". Good for you.So what`s the beef.Go hide and fish by yourself.
4) You think that you might have to walk 500 ,no you changed that to 700 yds back to your boat after launching it. I hope that the walk doesn`t kill you.If you are handicaped ,maybe your fishing partner could "walk the extra mile "for you.I think that most people today can stand a little walk.

Most people that go to the BOQ do so to catch fish .They try to get the most info (for the least amont of $) they can.Some of this info comes from the net.(It`s there for the taking).You can`t blame them for that.That`s why I joined.To try to learn something ,for nothing.

I personally fish because I find it enjoyable,Catching fish is just extra.I enjoy the people that I fish with and we drink beer when we`re done.
It sounds to me that you want BOQ not to have any more fishing pressure.That isn`t going to happen.The people will come.The fish mags,the ads from the camp grounds,and the one`s from the guides.
I think that you had better preach conservation,rather than "don`t brag on other boards".I think that you would be more sucessful at that.
HEY I DON`T THINK THAT YOUR A BAD GUY.
I just don`t think that fellow fisherman should be called freeloaders
THE END
\Bear

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:33 pm 
Baitfish

Hello all,

what short-citedness Bear and others are expressing! Targa 2, I believe that you are an excellent contributor to this site and always post messages that encourage your readers to become better anglers. It is because of this belief that I must conclude that those who oppose your views must be narrow-minded, or do not have the ability to see past the trees. They just don't seem to get the big picture here.

The internet, or those who RELY on it for fishing information, will ultimately lead to the detriment of Quinte over time, just as it has for many smaller lakes. I was fishing on the BOQ on Friday night and witnessed two men fishing from shore. Tied to the dock was a stringer containing 6 walleyes (smallest was approx. 8 lbs). I had to do everything to not throw them both in the water and release the fish. This is the point. The internet attracts many freeloaders who abuse the fishery - from shore and from boat. I am seeing it more and more. The boat launch issue is a just one.

Personally, I find it extremely egotistical for someone to post details on multiple boards for complete strangers to read - I guess they must have low self confidence and/or lack self-esteem. If I am wrong, then please help me understand your simple ways. No offense, but I enjoy special fishing stories with those close to me, not you Bear.

Captain Hank

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:27 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Well targa2 here goes,

My last comments on this! We'll have to respectfully agreee to disagree.

I for one haven't made a rebuttal to your post for the simple reason I knew it could degrade to a sparring match over the 'net so to speak. Much like what's happening now between you and bear. I don't want to make enemies here, I want us all to get along, fish and share tips and tactics.

I totally understand your logic about saying too much, I just don't happen to agree with it, to a point.

The intent of the board I'm sure was, and is to disseminate information on fishing in the Quinte region. Dan, if I'm wrong, please correct me. It's helping all the businesses in the area like the charters, motels, restauraunts and bait and tackle shops.

You refer to a good percentage of the people here as freeloaders, namely those that just want the easy way out, or don't want to put the time or money in. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe some of them can’t? Wether it's for financial reasons, they don't have their own boat, whatever.

They come from far and wide and for the most part are here but a few days, a couple times a season at best. You by your own admission are here quite often. I'd be willing to bet you yourself gleamed a fair amount of knowledge from the board yourself, no?

I think I know what Bear is trying to get across as well, again, correct me if I'm wrong Bear but, I believe he's (Bear) saying that you (targa2) feel anyone who doesn't spend a lot of money on gear, or with charters such as your own is freeloading off the system so to speak and doesn't deserve to fish here. Many of them offer up information themselves after a few trips, thus contributing as well. What worked, what didn't. That's Bad?

You've spent a lot of time and a lot of money to know what you know which is great, good for you. But if I can get the same information free, or pass it on to individuals willing to absorb it all, why not? What have I done to hurt the fishery?

It sounds like you're pissed at the real people who are responsible for the condition of the fishery but, your blaming the casual fisherman.

As far as bragging to other boards, I don't know if that was targeted at me in particular as it's no secret, I do belong to another board but, it's certainly not specifically a Walleye board, and the ONLY time Quinte is mentioned, is usually in the fall. But then, that board is unique, people help each other :!: What a concept :idea:

If you're doing so well over in your little corner of the world great, good for you. I should think you would just quietly carry on with your fishing and sit there laughing at the rest of us.

You come across as you don't want anyone around you, or interfering with your boat patterns, or taking your parking space. I would suggest nicely, put your energies into stopping the real people hurting the fishery here, we all know who they are.

There are a few making comments about how they agree with you. Can you tell me why they come to this board then if it's not to gleam info? Based on that, all these people think it's alright to collect the info from here, just don't tell anyone how well you do when you put in into practice.

I for one think I've learned a little something from this. I will still post my results with some info but, I'll try be more disciplined with how much I say in an open post as I do understand your point completely. But at the same time, if anyone asks me for more specific information via a PM, I will be only too happy to oblige.

Good luck with the rest of your season :!:

Discussion closed...for me :!:

To captain hank

Now when I hear about this sort of thing, this is where I totoally understand targa2's point, completely. But!!! Deal with this situation, that's how you stop this sort of thing.

captain hank wrote:
The internet, or those who RELY on it for fishing information, will ultimately lead to the detriment of Quinte over time, just as it has for many smaller lakes. I was fishing on the BOQ on Friday night and witnessed two men fishing from shore. Tied to the dock was a stringer containing 6 walleyes (smallest was approx. 8 lbs). I had to do everything to not throw them both in the water and release the fish. This is the point. The internet attracts many freeloaders who abuse the fishery - from shore and from boat. I am seeing it more and more. The boat launch issue is a just one.

One question,

Is there any particular reason you didn't just sit there, and call the MNR on these fellows? You make no mention of that. Is that non-action in itself not abusing the fishery?

Remember, it's a question, not an attack :!:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:25 pm 
Baitfish

Wall-I-Guy,

You have a unique way of implying that it was my fault that these people were breaking the law. I have had too many altercations with people abusing the fishery this year. Their normal response is based on pure ignorance and greed. It seems to be getting worse, and response time from police or MNR is sluggish at best. After a long day of fishing (day and night), I wasn't willing to sit on a dock for an hour until help arrived. Perhaps you could suggest a solution. I am always open to good advice.

Captain Hank

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

Captain Hank wrote:
"I was fishing on the BOQ on Friday night and witnessed two men fishing from shore. Tied to the dock was a stringer containing 6 walleyes (smallest was approx. 8 lbs). I had to do everything to not throw them both in the water and release the fish."

Perhaps they weren't aware of the slot limit? They're only allowed to keep one fish each of that size. Did you talk to them about it? Perhaps they just didn't know.

If they did know, then they were breaking the law. Is there not a 1-800 phone number you can call to blow the whistle on lawbreakers?

I find the diplomatic approach is best. "Hey guys, like, you can't keep all those fish, eh?" See how they respond. They might let them go if you just ask...... And if they won't, call the law. {shrug}

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:58 pm 
Walleye Fry

I have a better Idea Pete. Try section 494 of the Criminal Code Of Canada. I might just use it one day. Hey Bear. I won't have to push my wheelchair 700 yards to the ramp next year I will be guiding out of a cottage. Also your sarcastic remark to the effect of "Quinte closed " or something like that reminds me of something. THE M.N.R. ALMOST PUT A SIGN UP LIKE THAT 3 YEARS AGO and if you think they are above doing it still THINK AGAIN. Did you attend the moratorium meetings and argue with the Ministry. I DID!!! You have put me on the defensive by getting me to answer to your contentions yet you have failed to answer one of mine. Those who know me personally and many others agree with me wholeheartedly . I have people come up to me at the ramp all the time and tell me so. When a man knows he is right and is ignored HE LETS TIME PROVE IT SO. The "STATUS QUO DON"T MAKE IT SO".

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:03 pm 
Perch

I'd appeciate if folks would stop posting information about Lake Erie too. Oh and Lake Ontario...I fish there also. :wink: :lol:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:24 pm 
Baitfish

Quinte Closed.That statemenent was made by me,because I think that is what you would really like.Not closed to fishing,just closed to any new people coming around and fishing.That`s of course unless they spend countless hours out there trying everything to catch fish and then stumbed opon some thing that finely works.You know "learn the craft".OR pay you or some other guide to take them out and "learn the craft " from them.So I know,that you are against anyone giving info on how, where, and when to catch fish.What gives you the right to tell other people that they shouldn`t give this info out?The last time I knew,the is info on how to make a bomb on the net.The government can`t seem to get that off so how do you think that you will stop people from giving out info on fishing?If you think that this approach is a good one ,why don`t you go to that other forums and make your pitch to them?I would really like to see the reaction from this.I think that you have got your point across here so start branching out.You know where they are posting all the info that will bring the BOQ dismise.I think the downfall(if it happens) will come from gill net and spearing.Not from the amount of fish being taken by anglers.Unless ofcourse that everyone ignores the slot limit and everyone else is "too tired" to make a phone call to turn them in.I didn`t go to the ministries meeting.I don`t think that a guy from central NY would have much say there.I am just one of those guys that goes to BOQ pays my $ for a guide and catches fish(sometimes)I have had some great times fishing at BOQ.But I enjoy fishing everywhere.I skipped the "learning the craft" part.I did it like you do on the WPT .I payed for a guide.I skipped the 500 yd walk from the boat,like you did by renting a camp.It sounds to me like you really don`t want any inexperenced fishermen taking any walleyes . Or is there just too many people there in general?I know your afraid they might find one of your "secret" spots that you go to when all the "freeloaders" are around.
I really didn`t want to continue this,but if you keep poking me with a stick.......
Have a nice day
Bear

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:53 pm 
Perch

Hey Bear, maybe you should hire Targa2 as a guide, spend the day in the boat with him (live in another man's shoes) and we'll get both of you to report on the results. I think you'll find that you two have way more in common then you think!
BTW - Bear, something I'm curious about; does the NY state Lake Ontario shoreline/tributaries not offer the same fall walleye run that Quinte has? It would seem logical. And no, I'm not suggesting that you don't come to Quinte, I'm simply curious.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:17 pm 
Baitfish

There'sOne,
Ther is some walleye fishing on this side.But we have a group of guys that fish together and enjoy going to Canada.We go to a place east of North Bay for a week and fish and drink beer.The fishing is good to excellant.That`s fishing.I really enjoy going to Canada to fish,but I must admit ,You have the best beer in the world.We have fished at least 15 different places in Quebec and Ontario,somes better than others,but we have had a great time everywhere.It`s nice place to go on vacation.
Bear

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:48 pm 
Walleye Fry

Great philosophy. " You can't stop it ( the internet ) so just accept it. So if someone learns to build a bomb on the net and that bomb kills one of your family members will you still be singing praises for all the great things people can learn from this device. Hey, you brought it up. I wouldn't care for the crowds so much if. 1) People had some sense of RAMP ETIQUETTE. 2) I didn't get used for a slalom post by guys going to there spots and back. 3)People had some sense of BOAT CONTROL 4) Guys knew enough not to blast through the same water a group of guys are trolling in instead of taking an outside path back to the start point. 5) I didn't get my planer boards run over by people who don't know what they are.................. RESTRAINT ,DISCRETION,MODERATION,GOOD JUDGEMENT IS WHAT I PROPOSE.. The same things we tell our kids about but don't abide by ourselves and then have the nerve to act surprized when they act just like us.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:22 pm 
Baitfish

I agree with everything you said except the internet thing.I agree the mis management of boats(and jetskis) is awful.I live next to the salmon river/Pulaski .No bigger fools than these guys.Hell we even had someone shoot a hole through another guys boat 20-25 yrs ago when the "salmon run was at it`s peak.They jammed alot of people in a small area up there.I saw the whole thing evolve.From the first 6-12 lb salmon,to the wicked fishing all nite, snatch hooks,and the fights.The internet was not popular at that time ,but word got out.I just don`t think that you can "curb the tide" by thinking that the guys are not going to be there if the posts on forums stop.The word gets out.I can understand you not wanting anymore inconsiderate Fisherman and boat operators.I guess that I mis took your original meaning of the term freeloaders.I thought you were grouping all the people that come because of the good fishing.
I still think that your fighting for a lost cause with the internet thing.
I am one of those guys that heard about the great fisging and decided to try it .I have never had a fight with anyone at the boat launch.(ok 1 with one of thse sailboat guys )that waited till he got his boat backed up ready to go and decided that now was the time to start rigging up his boat.)
I don`t think that you will be able to stop the "madness" that has started.
Yuo have a great place the BOQ won`t be a secret anymore.
Buckle Up'
Bear

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:59 pm 
Baitfish

Bear,

it is quite obvious that you have a difficult time reading a short script and understanding its contents so I, too, will spell it out for you: (re: 6 walleye on a stringer). After trailering my boat, I walked over to these guys and asked them how fishing was, etc. It was then that they gloated about their 6 fish and pulled up the stringer from the water. I reminded them NICELY and diplomatically of the possession limit of walleye in this area, and of the slot rule. Their response reeked of pure ignorance. "Why don't you go mind your own business", followed by a lot of cursing. Following 10 minutes of arguing, I had had enough. I saw someone blatantly breaking the law, I went to them to inform them. The only thing I did not do was place a phone call. Apparently to you, this was insufficient. How many times have you gone out of your way to confront those breaking the rules, Bear? Have you ever even considered it? This incident had nothing to do with being "too tired", at least get that straight.

Eyes are us, Targa 2 and I are different individuals. I hope that this 'unconfuses' you.

Captain Hank

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:12 pm 
Baitfish

Hank,
I am not confused at all.Maybe you had better read the post again that said"they were confused"It was an assuption that you were you tired to call.So tell me again why you couldn`t make a call and leave.
Bear

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad