All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

No Kiddin' 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

I live here on the Bay, I am also 15 mins from the ramp's along the Adolphustown Reach and I think if you don't live here you should stay home. :x :x :x
That's right we don't want your money, business etc. and we don't want you catching our fish.

Pretty stupid statement huh? The internet is for sharing info with people, hence the nickname "the Information Highway". I counted at least 6 Ranger Fisherman trailers and boats last week when I was out fishing. Some of them had come from as far away as Wisconsin. How much money do you think they spent?? I am betting they spent a fair amount.

I fish professionally too. I pay my entry fee's and fish in the Canadian Fishing Tour. I've done that for 2 years now. I even made the Classic this year. Not bad if I must say so.I obtained info on the lakes I fished on the net and I also looked at maps and went to tackle stores. I did not spend $500.00 dollars though, I don't have that kind of money.

Hmmm... maybe I should take up guiding!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't remember hearing people complain about people giving out information in years past when the fishing was easy. How many guides were needed to put people on fish back then? This was and still is the Walleye Capital of the World (there is a sign in Desoronto that says so).

I can tell you this much, I have lived here most of my life, and I need someone to direct me to the local fishing store that can sell me Stretch 20's, planer boards, line counter reels, planer board rods etc. Oh yeah, it better be in stock because I am only going to be in town for 2 days and I don't take rain checks. I've got $500.00 in my pocket and my pants are on fire, I better part with it immediately.

For a fishery that was just about "dead" a few short years ago, it sure seems to have benefited from all of the conservation efforts put in place by all anglers. Or could it just be that because of things like the internet people discussed what worked and what didn't, which helped anglers start catching fish again??? I am pretty sure targa2 has even fished some bass tournaments on the BOQ over the years. Has anyone seen the amount of people and tournaments coming to the BOQ last year??? Has anyone commented on how busy it is going to be next year yet? But you know what, the fishing is good right now, the BOQ can take the added pressure. But what happens when things get tough?? Will this argument once again rear it's ugly head over bass fishing?

Well I agree with WIG and bear. I also agree with Dr. Pete. (Whose info was amazing by the way!) Everyone has good some points here.

I will say this however, if you see a crime being committed, you are just as bad as the criminal if you don't do something. This is the one part of the whole discussion that infuriates me the most. As a member of the Law Enforcement community I would have no problem calling the police,C.O.'s or crimestoppers and reporting it. If it was worth mentioning here, it was worth calling the Man.

Colin Friel

banner ad
 Post subject: Where is MNR?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:06 am 
Baitfish

Personally, i believe that the sharing of information on the net is a good thing. As well as sharing techniques and strategies, from what I have read, the majority of participants here promote the catch and release philosophy...especially for the big fish which are more contaminated. Even if an individual decides to keep a fish for a meal because they are only at the bay for couple of visits is not going to stress the fishery. My question is how many of the locals there have there freezers full? As well, as mentioned before, the greater threat to the fishery is the miles of gillnets set up through the bay, by commercial fishermen both native and non-native. I live around the Rideau Lake area and it was recalled to me how at one time the Rideau Lakes had an abundancy of Lake trout. Commercial netters were allowed to enter and lay their death traps and within a very short period of time, basically cleaned out the lake. It wasn't until commercial fishing was stopped, that the lakers came back. The same thing at Lake Erie, as some of the locals there can recollect. Back in the 60`s early 70`s, contamination ran high, so the commercial fishing stopped. due to more improved water quality and lack of commercial pressure, the lake rebounded...even though it appears to perhaps be stressed again.
As for law enforcement, I blame the Ontario government for the cut-backs in funding. Years ago, under the Harris government, the conservation officers job description was expanded resulting in less hours in the field. As well, several regional offices were closed, staff were laid off. As the Bof Q appears to have a very strong fall fishery, perhaps if CO`s were posted at the boat launches, I am sure that people would have a second thought of keeping that extra fish(es) Just being there would let people know that they are being watched. But the government would us, the people to report on abusers with the potential of being attacked, having ourselves or vehicle and equipment trashed. The COs are the trained people and the law-enforcement..not us!!
So blame the government for cut-backs...blame the government for not dealing with commercial fishing(perhaps buying up businesses as what has happened in the past)....blame the governments(both provincial and federal) for not having the fortitude to discuss over-harvesting issues with our native peoples...
this is an excellent website and provides information sharing and education to all who enjoy angling as a leisure activity
Just my 2 cents worth!!
magfishnet

banner ad
 Post subject: No one is busted yet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Okay folks I just did a quick check of the post from last year. The IP number of the post inquestion is different from the ip number of the person who posted the report in question. I do need to do some further checking into this. SO for now I am going to lock this thread until I report back. This is a good case in point for requiring loggin in because last year at that time ANYONE could jump on and impersonate anyone else using the "GUEST" + Targa2 or Capt HAnk or Superdad for that matter.

banner ad
 Post subject: Okay here it goes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Okay,
I checked into this and had my ISP do some tracing of isp numbers. The original report is from Tom Gustar. here http://forums.quintefishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1168&highlight=targa2 Near the bottom of this thread it appears Targa2 replies but then signs off as Capt Hank.

My ISP assures me that the original post comes from a cable network serving an area east of toronto. The reply near the bottom of this post does NOT come from a cable network and does NOT even come from the same part of the province.

Further checking of ISP numbers shows that Targa2 has never posted a report from the ISP number appearing at the bottom of the original post.
If you look carefully Tom always posts as "Targa2" in the offending post it is logged in as "Targa 2" There is a space before the "2"

I will leave this this and the related replies up for a bit so everyone understands then I will remove them.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:34 pm 
Walleye

I've sat back and watched this discussion and like some of the others I would like to comment, not join in. On behalf of all Freeloaders I take exception to the conatation that has been used here. I'm proud to be a freeloader, we love to travel, experience different lakes and rivers, fish different species and meet some really interesting people. I travel quite a bit and I've had the privilege to fish for shark in Barbadoes with a priest from Sweden, salmon in Alaska with a designer for Ford and spent probably my single best day on the water in California with a retired LAPD (14lb bass).

We freeloaders put little pressure on the fishery, we don't stay long enough to learn the topography and techniques to be a real threat, except for maybe clogging the occaisonal ramp parking lot. Freeloaders donate a lot of money to the local economy when we travel, a half day in Alaska cost over $400. The internet takes the art of freeloading to a whole new level. When I fish in southern California I go to a board from San Diego and the amount of information posted there makes this board look like a secert society. And while we talk about how much is too much lets be realistic, if someone like SuperDad where to post his catches complete with GPS readings for the strikes and every other bit of information regarding tackle and weather I would be amazed if anyone could duplicate his catch in that exact place even under the exact conditions. Remember it's called fishing, if catching were a given that's what we'd call it.

I know that we seem to be encountering more meat hunters and less than ethical fisherman everyday but I doubt that this board attracts them. It is my experience in life that these people are looking for the easy harvest and I doubt they would travel hundreds of miles and spend big dollars.

In closing I envy Targa2 because I know what kind of dedication and effort it takes to reach the skill level and knowledge of eyes he obviously has. I as a freeloader respect your commitment and would only ask that you respect how I choose to fish. Think back to how many times you've heard us casters trying to convince you trollers to come back over from the dark side and start fishing the right way again, cause it's almost as many times as a troller has tried to convert me.

So lets quit being critical of each other and enjoy this precious resource we have in the BOQ. There will always be irritants in every thing we do so lets all agree to ignore the bad and enjoy the positives we are so lucky to have.

Bassn51
take your grandkids fishing

banner ad