Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 am 
Walleye Catcher

It was my understanding that the MNR trout stocking only took place in lakes with public access, which would make sense - but I am trying to find public access onto Red Horse lake and I've been told by the locals that there is no public access :?:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

The MNR puts an asterick beside the names of lakes with this exact issue.(AT LEAST FOR BROOK TROUT)The asterick meaning they will eventually not be stocked, again for this reason. Maybe check the stocking list to see if it your desired lake has one. ....In my map books, its listed as a rough two wheel drive access road(Ive never fished it, just many of the lakes around it .)....It also states due to recent access road improvements,....it has received significant pressure, and therefore the quality of fishing has declined. It also states, it has ,as you say, been stocked(not trout,but walleye). It is in my books as a lake containing four different species, no trout though?....I do see lake trout on a stocking list though, for Redhorse....(perhaps my book is mistaken?.......and things sometimes change?......Perhaps the access is no longer accessible?)

Last edited by littledog on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:00 pm 
Walleye

There is access in the summer you just have to start in Lyndhurst Lake (sorry that name may be wrong) & navigate your way to Red horse. In the winter there is access from Charleston Lake via rough snowmobile trail. It does contain Lakers. The Lake has been protected by locals by limiting access which I guess I can't blame them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 am 
Walleye Master

I know of at least a half dozen lakes that are stocked and there is no vehicle access to. Some are partially surrounded by crown land and you can hike into them on foot.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 pm 
Walleye

Red Horse is now open all year and therefore not considered viable for reproduction. Access is available at Singleton Lake Campground. I don't know if they stock it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:57 pm 
Minnow

I fished it last year and accessed it via Singleton Lake as already mentioned. It is not avery big lake but I did catch some small lakers. They were all stocked so I can't say if there are any natural trout left.