Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Close Calls
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:16 am 
Walleye Catcher

Well a new fishing,boating season is upon us and it makes me reflect on the close calls from last year, cant understand the amout of boats that have no lights at night.....what could go wrong? And how about the idiot sailboat that anchored in the middle of the Collins Bay channel (right in the middle) for the night with no lights at all? Missed him by a foot at 30 mph (scared the crap out of me).......always have your pfd and wear them, have all your saftey gear, know your boating limits and dont push them....its only a fish. Have a safe year

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

Post subject: Re: Close Calls
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:52 am 
Perch

...and while underway at night, use a spotlight so you can see the idiot with no lights, or a log, swimming deer, inflatable sex doll or whatever may have blown onto the water.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 am 
Walleye Wisdom

We were in port Dalhousie last weekend. On Friday we were checked by the MNR, and Saturday we had an inspection of the boats safety Gear by the OPP. The only thing I was non-compliant with was my flares had just expired. They just made a note of it, so the next time I get checked i better have new flares! Go through all your safety gear before you put the boat in!
Tight Lines

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

Its bad manners and somewhat illegal to run with a spotlight (rule 20). Screws up everybody's night vision, screws up the appearance of your running lights to others.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:47 pm 
Baitfish

I to almost hit that genius in the sailboat with no lights on at night in Collins Bay! Definitely got the heart racing!.....so Dangerous!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:00 am 
Walleye Angler

Sailboats at anchor run an all around white light at the masthead, a lot of times when someone gets close to them they are looking at water level not way up in the air so even with a light they're hard to see.

I had a canoe come out from under the bow in Picton harbor, lucky I was going real slow. That's where a spot light would be handy, a quick flash to see how much unlit traffic in the harbor at 1am. Couldn't have been too close a call ,they never hollered or nothing just got out of the way but startled me a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:54 am 
Walleye Angler

I don't run a lot at night, but when I do I cover my dash lights, fish finders etc, less light shing in my eyes means better night vision to see boats etc in front of me, if I have to check my position on GPS, slow or stop the boat, close one eye tightly(keeps the night vision), do a quick check, the cover the light source, and u will still have one eye adjusted for the dark.
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:49 am 
Walleye Angler

Sometimes put a foam coffee cup over the white light to dim it a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:13 pm 
Walleye

Last year my brothers boat went under on lake St Clair he took on too many big waves trying to get back in and I was able to reach him in time to get everyone in my boat. I never thought it would happen to anyone I know but I'm telling you it's the scariest thing ever. Be prepared be smart always know where you are and have all the safety equipment with you to allow easy retrieval, if it wasn't for all that I would have never found him. Not sure if everyone has been on lake St Clair but it's surrounded by windmills not like you can use them as a reference lol.

banner ad