Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:31 am 
Walleye Master

At the next CLOSA meeting on May 20th, I give a presentation on fishing the Scotch Bonnet Ridge area.
This area includes McFaul Shoal, Palen Bank, The Scotch Bonnet Lighthouse Island, Nicholson Island, the Scotch Bonnet Shoal and the numerous rock piles in that area. The presentation will deal with the tremendous currents that develop in the area. Where to fish when these currents set up
and how to compensate when this phenomenon happens. I will explain what happens to the thermocline during these extreme current conditions.

Also on many occasions I have heard anglers say they are marking a thermocline at a certain depth. With out down temp and speed they are not even close to the depth they should be fishing. I got my first Fish hawk in 1987 and used it to figure out what is happening in this area.
I have seen current shears so extreme that it will mark large on your sonar unit, and many novice anglers mistake this for a thermocline.

I have seen the out flow from Presqu'ile Bay and Wellers Bay show up on the sonar. May look like a thermocline but it is just a mud line with a large amount of microscopic particles and suspended weeds and moss. You could waste a lot of angling time fishing this non productive depth. I'll explain what to do when start marking a mudline.

Ever have one of those days that when you go to do a lure change and you have lines tangled together for no apparent reason. Answer is you might have been in an area with extreme up welling. It happens out there. Besides being expensive and time wasting fishing in these areas, the chances of having a productive day is very slim. I don't go into these areas and I'll tell you where to find them and why you shouldn't fish there.

I have heard lots of anglers on the radio stating that they were in the bait fish the day before and did well and after 4 hours today they haven't marked a single school. I'll tell you were they went to, why they went there and how to find them.

I will explain with king salmon movement around the Lake and what I do to prepare before I leave port in the morning that will determine whether I go south or west. Things like watching the Seagrant Coast Watch website, certain other websites, etc.

Hope to see you there.
Al

Meeting time - 7 pm. at the Carrying Place United Church
20 Old Portage Rd. Carrying Place, On.

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:39 am 
Walleye Angler

This sounds like something I need to attend!
are guests welcome Al?
I may be in the area that night

Up untill now I just fish wherever I see the Grand Slam!
Thanks, Charlie

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:57 am 
Walleye Master

Yes Charlie the public is welcome.

One thing I forgot too mention is that the first presentation ran very long because of the numerous questions on trolling flies, that I didn't get a chance to cover running wire line and copper line in your spreads. Had a lot of questions lately on copper and wire line knots. This presentation on the Scotch Bonnet Ridge isn't that long so I give a demonstration on the proper knots to use for cores, copper braid and wire.

Hope to see you there.
Al

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:43 pm 
Walleye

I have lots of salmon gear for sale. Rods and reels, flies, spin doctors, spoons, net. call me at 905 984 0183. I do live in Belleville, don't let the number fool you. Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Al I tried my hardest but make it but my 2 year old had other plans for me!
Will there be any encores of the presentation in the future?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:39 am 
Walleye Master

Not this year Charlie. I have in the past done a weekend evening presentation locally here in Wellington for the CLOSA members from eastern Ontario and Quebec. Not sure if it will happen this year.

I was amazed at the attendance wednesday night. Over 30 people showed up for the presentation.

The meeting on June 17th will be a open session on rigging copper rods, wire diver set ups, and basically answering questions on equipment and riggers. Just a general question & answer forum.

later
Al

banner ad
banner ad