banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad

Do you wish it were 2 rods per fisherman west of the ferry?
1. YES 48%  48%  [ 37 ]
2. NO 52%  52%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 77
 Post subject: I've Always Wondered
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:24 pm 
Walleye Master

I wonder how you all feel about this and your reasoning

Post subject: Re: I've Always Wondered
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:22 am 
Walleye Angler

I wish it was 2 rods everywhere. Could live with one rod per angler and one for the boat which would give the solitary angler a bit better chance to find a pattern. We have possession limits, size limits, and slot limits, so why would the number of rods matter that much.Can't actually remember the last time I kept a fish. Two rods through the ice doesn't seem to have decimated the numbers. Trolling should be one high, one deep, one close, one far, one bright, one dark, until the secret sauce is found. Guess you could go to the playground and ask a bunch of kids if they want to go for a boat ride. Naw on second thought better not.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:04 am 
Walleye Master

i'm going with "no".

inside the bay can already be a zoo with clueless anglers running so tight to one another.....no room to move.....

when your fishing 'structure' fish, trolling lines become very important. mudding them up with too many rods doesn't seem like a wise choice to me.

however, fishing east of the ferry, you are fishing open water, suspended fish. a lot different animal. way more water as well.

i know the yank's get three rods per person on their side of Lake O as well....it was discussed on our side but didn't gain much momentum.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:06 pm 
Walleye Master

Voted yes, but not for guide boats, or a max line amount. some guides run like 4 or 5 lines on the productive side and 1 or none on the other. With the right amount of people in the boat.
needless to say they fish contour lines, and it makes it hard for smaller boats to fish this same lines..
Problem is they teach us this stuff then hog the lines. lol. always glad when i see some one do what they preach.
could i see a few guide boats trolling the reach with 10 lines out or more ?? for sure i could, these guys are the best by far in this area at doing that, and when its in there right to do so. they should.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:17 pm 
Baitfish

I am a no, I agree with Steve, there are times when guys seem to come right along side you.
Why.... They just troll by with a grumpy look on their face.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:25 pm 
Walleye

i also voted for one line mostly because of the amount of boats and the fish need a chance. the smaller walleye are kept at a much higher rate then other fish and since its a natural population with no stocking they do need protection. east of the ferry id agree with adding a third line to match the states, lots of open water to cover in the big lake and id like to run six lines with two guys onboard with an autopilot. I believe its three lines any body of water from boat or shore in ny. i never understood why in ontario you can fish two lines in the boat but only one from shore.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

I went with no, mainly due to area size. Trying to fish a weed line at say Thompson Point, couple of boats are there also and right up thru the centre comes a boat with 2 people and a board out each side. A good size lake can get pretty small pretty fast as it is, adding more lines and boards also puts more pressure on the local resident fish. Let's keep calling it fishing, not change to catching. My 2 cents worth,
Cheers Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 am 
Walleye Master

Very interesting and both sides have great points. 48 votes so far and dead nuts locked. It is a little torture for me being stateside and running 3 legally and going to inside the ferry and running one. I've decided to change the law and make it one rod per person planed to the outside and one chute rod per person in addition . lol. Everybody happy? :P

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 am 
Site Admin

2 lines. Lots of open areas to fish 2 Lines. Sure, initially there might be an increase of incidents were boards and boats tangle but most folks learn from their experiences( I said most not all). From a tourist operator perspective, this would help areas that aren't near the ferry. Long reach, telegraph narrows and Big bay have great fishing in the fall and practically no pressure. 2 lines might help spread out angling pressure

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:40 am 
Walleye Angler

I voted NO. Too many boats at times in a relatively small area compared to the big lake. Even with a rod on planers you see every year guys getting either tangled up with other boats or verbally hurling insults as to watch for his planer board set. Makes me wonder what drives a person to set boards out amongst a really busy day on the water, and have the nerve to lay into another boat for invading his space.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:48 pm 
Walleye Master

this poll is at least closer than the "lake ontario" 3 rod poll I read last year on another site. it was closer to 70% opposed to 3 rods, 30% for it....

right now on this poll we are at 53% opposed to 2 rods, 47% for it....

another poll I read on another site asking about catch and release bass season had 77% against it, with 23% for it.

All three above poll results shown Ontarian's still put conservation ahead of "sport".

For that, I'm happy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:51 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm not sure conservation is of significance in this case. A limit is a limit. If it increases revenue as it did in the states, that's more money for conservation

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 pm 
Walleye

I like the 2 rods because it gives me options in terms of what to run in the hopes of catching fish.
When I find out what there hitting on I normally go to one rod. But.... it is always nice to have options..

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:36 am 
Walleye Master

Tough call....October thru December and the month of May would be nice to have 2 rods/angler for trolling. Once the water temps start to warm up and the weeds start to build in early June, I usually put the trolling gear to rest. No matter what body of water. The fish are either in the weeds, or very close by, which makes trolling difficult.
If you're looking for cold water "Trophy" fish, I'd say yes. If you're a spring/summer fisherman, 1 rod is all you need.

banner ad
 Post subject: I've Always Wondered
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:22 am 
Walleye Master

I can't vote from phone but I will put my 2 cents in.

I am all for 2 rods on the bay. I think there maybe an adjustment period as people will have to learn their boundaries though.

We have slot limit and possession limits to protect the resource. I think of how many days I've seen 1 or 2 fish days or even skunks and think if those were 2-4 fish days would it affect anything?

It would also add to the economy as many people would buy more boards, rods, baits etc.

In my opinion, the inner bay is plenty big enough to run 2 rods.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad