Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:25 am 
Walleye Angler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JK0-sp2kZ0

Fear Fishing .Com reignites the Cobourg harbour fishing debate. What do you think? Who owns the right to use the harbour or any harbour, the Town or City (and the boaters that pay them or, the Angler, or perhaps both?)

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2015 ... rg-harbour

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:44 am 
Walleye Angler

There is also no jumping off the peir allowed, no feeding waterfowl allowed, no walking out to the east light house allowed, recently no smoking allowed ,no barbecues allowed in Victoria Park ,ect ect.. All (except perhaps the barbecue ban) of these regulations are routinely broken. Just the other day ,I seen a group of about ten people walk right by the big, don't pass this point sign.(see that a lot!) Personally, I see that "maybe" these can be safety issues, safety of the people,safety of the boats,safety of the ducks ect ect., as that is generally the argument of the town, but really I think, feed the ducks in very cold temperatures, as they are being found dead along the shore in cold snaps (PERHAPS THATS NATURE,PERHAPS NOT) and it gives that old guy(that feeds them) something to do, that makes him happy, (and his many supporters,)...jump into the water at your own risk,....visit the lighthouse at your own risk,...no comment on the smokin, leave the barbecue at home and visit a local restaurant,...and fish to your hearts content, just don't hit the boats! or the condo windows! 8)

Last edited by littledog on Fri May 22, 2015 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:47 am 
Walleye Wisdom

This video makes my blood boil!
Towns pay thousands and thousands of dollars to maintain and update the waterfront annually. From cleaning garbage organizeing docking, providing bathrooms, showers, garbage cans, gas dock, and a boat launch. Not to mention the thousands and thousands of dollars spent on dredgeing each year to provide depths for the larger boats and habitat for your pike! I feel sorry for the old man that the idiots in the video felt the need to piss an 80 year old off for the sake of catching 1 pike!
Sure the guys in the video may be good fisherman and can cast accurately, but it's the example you are setting for others. And Then some clowns come in there and think it's ok to throw on a lure and cast it out. And then they unintentionally take the window out of some guys $50,000 tiara! Meanwhile guys pay roughly $1000-$2000 annually to park there boats there in a safe environment.
And just so everyone is clear Port Hope does not allow fishing in there harbour either, from June 1st-Sept 15th. If you want I can post the picture of the no fishing sign. F

Fish the marinas all you want from September-May1st once May comes around have a little repect and get the hell out of there and fish elsewhere. The marinas provide a source of income for te town, and your screwing with there business in my mind.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:26 pm 
Baitfish

50K boats come with 5K trailers if you don't like it load it ! You can buy water frontage and dockage you still don't own the lake these signs are hopes not laws .

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:32 pm 
Walleye

I was screamed at once for fishing in the harbour at Meyers Pier. I havent gone back because it wasnt worth the trouble but I do remember thinking who the hell has the right to tell us not to fish there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:00 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't know anything about the cobourg situation and maybe management is not handling it in an appropriate manner. I do think there should be some consideration though. You wouldn't take a set of hockey nets into a parking garage and play hockey, because it is a parking garage and you might damage something. Same can be said for a marina. It is marina and people pay to park their boats in a sheltered safe place. Pitching lures around the boats may not be a considerate thing to do. ***Please note*** I am not talking specifically about the video above. I don't know the circumstances or people involved. Just stating my opinion about fishing around boats in marinas in general.

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

If you watch the early part of the video, the staff(marina) tries to claim the Harbour is a no fishing zone, owned by the town. Not the marina specifically. This has been an issue for many years, although not so much when I was younger growing up here, but certainly more so in the last ten or so years. Town Council has tried to stop fishing in the Harbour in general, in the past.In 2009 they issued an ice fishing ban(to accompany the general harbor ban) for the entire harbour.(there are no boats left in the harbour in the winter,not even the coast guard cutter) These people in the video ,are not the first to condemn, and take a stand over not being allowed to fish the harbour, nor the first to have their objections covered by the media. The harbour no fishing zone has been tackelled (pardon the pun) by various individuals,media and fishing organizations. Nor is this issue unique to Cobourg. City staff in Toronto, recently posted signs, also in zone 20,banning fishing along certain areas of Lake Ontario's shore line, within the city. Due to fishermen voicing their concerns, these signs were promptly removed , and city officials apologized. By law officials(TOWN) in Cobourg, have issued tickets in the past for harbour fishing infractions, relegated by council,unrelated to the actual ,ever expanding ,and soon to expand again , marina.(not giving an opinion , just a little background). The fines that have made it into court, have generally been thrown out, partially because it is part of an MNR fishing zone and not mentioned as an exception.Some of these people have even had MNR officials, speak in their defence of said tickets. The Town now has a separate bylaw ,and signs .... on the marina pier itself, and the north wall, which parallels their slips, which ban shore fishing, they don't have jurisdiction(ownership) on the water, just the land. Other towns and cities have similar, marina specific signage(ie. Peterborough).Cobourg's ban has always(in recent years)been a little bit more comprehensive......If you watch the first part of the video, you will hear him say ,they will likely get in trouble for fishing Cobourg.Almost think the whole video was planned out, to voice his objections, and make a point.
Since this video, the town spokeswomen, through the towns lawyer, has stated they have no jurisdiction on the water, just certain areas on land ,which border the marina. This has also been stated in past years...but both marina, and mainly harbour, and town staff have continued their efforts, to stop fishing in the harbour in general. Others with a dog in the fight include Bird Watching(Naturalist)groups,Yayct Club,Dragon Boaters and others. During recent elections, Harbour use is near the top in issues. Sorry to ramble, just a bit of background. Scott, I totally agree with your points. At some spots in the video, they seem to be "possibly" casting directly towards the boats, hense the response(possibly not the greatest) from Marina staff.... and the video would of been edited leaving out who knows what. On a side note, Port Hope Council, recently tried to stop roe bag use on the Ganaraska,(to discourage the illegal slitting of hens,for eggs)The MNR made it clear they set the policies, regarding fishing, and turned down the towns requested ban.(once again ,no opinion, just some local issue background.)

Last edited by littledog on Sun May 24, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:45 am 
Walleye Master

"On a side note, Port Hope Council, recently tried to stop roe bag use on the Ganaraska,(to discourage the illegal slitting of hens,for eggs)"

That would be a FANTASTIC step FORWARD!!! too bad the trout anglers were so against it....using trout spawn, on spawning trout, just isn't logical in any way.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I heard today that cobourge and port hope marine are going to start removing launch privileges. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was at the marina today and that was the rumour

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:59 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good for them. Turn down business and make it more expensive for the high and mighties living there in the summer time. Well thought out.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:06 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I say we alert City Panic, gather as many boats as possible and plug up the Marina. Just for Shites and Giggles of course.

I cannot stand anyone feeling they have the right to tell someone else they cannot fish a "Public" waterway. Don't like it? Keep your crap out of our waterway so we can fish it with our crap.

Ass Monkey

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

If I want to fish pike around a bunch of boats and docks and traffic rather than countless millions of square miles of tranquil marsh and weed beds I should be able to. But why would I? Just because somebody said I can't? I got better places to spend my time to fish and enjoy life. It looked like they set up a camera to catch a conflict more than fish. They got more money tied up in equipment then brains. They could have just got some cardboard and a stick and made picket signs and marched around the docks chanting something silly way cheaper.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

They were definatly looking for a conflict! That was the first thing they said in the video, before they even talked about catching a pike! It's gotta b great fun fishing while you have guys yelling at You.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:02 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Forget it. I don't have the energy. Whatever.

Ass Monkey

Last edited by assmonkey on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:03 am 
Walleye Wisdom

pickerel killer wrote:
They were definatly looking for a conflict! That was the first thing they said in the video, before they even talked about catching a pike! It's gotta b great fun fishing while you have guys yelling at You.

Done.

Ass Monkey

Last edited by assmonkey on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
banner ad