banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:15 am 
Walleye Angler

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news- ... urg-brook/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:05 am 
Perch

littledog wrote:
http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news-story/5655531-atlantic-salmon-fry-released-in-cobourg-brook/

That's more than 10Km by river from the lake. Does the conservation area have a restriction on fishing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

No restrictions on fishing, during the months that applicable fishing is open, although fishing for Atlantics in Zone 17 is not allowed, and the area mentioned is in that zone.....there are Brown, Brook and Rainbow trout, and other Salmon species in various sections of the Creek, at various times of the year, that can be fished for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

And i've gotta say, it was an awesome day volunteering. There were a number of local trout seen in some of the deeper pools, only wishing i had my fly rod that day.

"I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm 
Perch

littledog wrote:
No restrictions on fishing, during the months that applicable fishing is open, although fishing for Atlantics in Zone 17 is not allowed, and the area mentioned is in that zone.....there are Brown, Brook and Rainbow trout, and other Salmon species in various sections of the Creek, at various times of the year, that can be fished for.

No Fishing for Atlantics in-land sounds like a good way to help them reproduce in peace.

Zone 17 goes right to the lake, and as recent videos show you can't fish in Cobourg harbour so the only way to "intercept" them would be to fish in the lake just outside the harbour.

Anyone know when they stage for their spawning run?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:52 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Myself and 6 of my students from Athens District High School were there on May 28th helping to release the last batch of Atlantics, great time.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:12 am 
Minnow

Cobourg Creek actually does not spill into the harbour. It exits into Lake Ontario about a 1/4 mile West of the harbour. It can be fished along shore from a park land that runs from the King street Bridge to the lake. There is also a right of way for pedestrians to access the other side of the creek down to the lake mouth. From the King street Bridge to the lamprey dame at the filtration plant is a designated fish sanctuary. You can often see many really nice rainbows sitting in a deep pool there....frustrating for the skunked fisherman.. :-) There is also another park land that gives access all the way to the Mill Pond dam that is accessed from Burnham street south of the 401.

Spring Rainbow is pretty good there. Winter rainbow is good as well close to the lake. I have not fished it into the summer as the flow gets pretty meager due to the dam. I have not explored the fishing on the high side of the dam as it runs through a golf course but it does meander its way all the way to Baltimore, a village north of Cobourg on hwy 45.
In the spring Rainbow run volunteers hand lift the fish over the Mill Dam since there is no ladder there. That is the biggest problem with the Atlantic salmon stocking program on Cobourg Creek. The actual free flowing creek is limited and for the fish to get to adequate spawning beds they must be helped along their way. The Atlantic salmon spawn return is meager.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

bcjohnso99 wrote:
littledog wrote:

No Fishing for Atlantics in-land sounds like a good way to help them reproduce in peace.

Zone 17 goes right to the lake, and as recent videos show you can't fish in Cobourg harbour so the only way to "intercept" them would be to fish in the lake just outside the harbour.

It's great work with the program for stream re-hab but they don't spawn. Cobourge Creek is Warm as a bathtub when they are looking to spawn. Do not believe everything you read! That article should include some facts in it like the program has been run for over 25 yrs not just 5 years!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:24 am 
Perch

pickerel killer wrote:

It's great work with the program for stream re-hab but they don't spawn. Cobourge Creek is Warm as a bathtub when they are looking to spawn.

Understandable, but they still must stage in the lake waiting for the temps to drop. Anyone target them and know when is a good time to do so?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:38 am 
Walleye

There was some talk at the MNR meeting about creating a catch and release season for them in the rivers, maybe for next year?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

ut_falcon wrote:
There was some talk at the MNR meeting about creating a catch and release season for them in the rivers, maybe for next year?

That's because there lucky if 2 Atlantics come back to spawn! There talking about changeing zone 20 to catch and release as well for the unicorns!! There was 11,000 fish hand lifted in bowmanville 2 yrs ago and only 4 were Atlantics. They have dumped close to 10 million since 1987 and still nothin!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:36 am 
Walleye

X2

pickerel killer wrote:
bcjohnso99 wrote:
littledog wrote:

It's great work with the program for stream re-hab but they don't spawn. Cobourge Creek is Warm as a bathtub when they are looking to spawn. Do not believe everything you read! That article should include some facts in it like the program has been run for over 25 yrs not just 5 years!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:06 pm 
Perch

Big waste of time and money. Lets see the big show of hands of who actually catching them. No way they go up that creek.

Oh well. At this rate the lake will just be garbage without supporting t bhai e species that thrive there.

Sorry fir the rant. Steelheadbum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:51 am 
Walleye Master

I have caught over a dozen Atlantics since 2009. All but 1 have been incidental catches while fishing for kings. This summer I am going to spend more time targeting them. They will be found in areas where brown trout can be caught. As for staging off the creek mouths that would be an adventure for September & October.

My true feelings about Atlantics will not be discussed on this thread. I will say one thing, once they get rid of the LaHave strain the program will do a lot better.

Without native species restoration in the great lakes the funding from both federal governments for the sea lamprey control program would not exist. With out the funds there would not be a fishery in Lake Ontario and probably the Bay of Quinte. The top dogs in the Great Lakes Fishery Commission and the USGS believe in native species restoration. Probably will never change.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:12 pm 
Perch

You know I wouldn't be against the Atlantic stocking if was actually paying off. I don't charter or guide so I don't rely on it he fishery for income. But the results have been rather dismal so far. I just hope they don't oversee the other salmonids before they disappear.
Steelheadbum

banner ad