Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: too hot of a deal?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:22 am 
Walleye Master

If anyone comes across a great deal on a Minn Kota trolling motor, Hummingbird portable fish finder and an orange tackle bag stuffed full of goodies please let me know. Compliments of our hiway 37 carpool thief. Apparently he has no problem smashing windows out during the middle of the day in a busy carpool lot.

Post subject: Re: too hot of a deal?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:51 am 
Site Admin

What!! That sucks big time. Any chance their was a camera on the lot? Will keep my eyes out onkijij

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:42 am 
Walleye Angler

Can't be someone who wants to use the items for fishing. As most anglers go support for others abound and most would gladly help out a new or struggling angler so they can enjoy the sport. No this is a bitter individual who is looking for quick cash for toys tramps or dope. With that in mind any pawn shop or small buy and sell shop in the larger area should have been notified by the authorities. (Unfortunately we now the likelihood of that is low)
I hope that you have theft insurance but even so most of us have a large deductible that will cut deep into shallow pockets.
Here's hoping for the best
Dwayne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:47 am 
Walleye Master

I know everything is gone as well and likely show up in a yard sale or as you said a pawn shop. I just hope this makes others aware so the same doesn't happen to anyone else. I don't really care about the trolling motor or fish finder, they can be replaced. But every lure in that box meant something. Some were my Dad's from when we fished together when I was a kid, some were ones that I kicked my buddy's butt with. It's more than just a tackle box to us, it's like our own little treasure chest full of memories.

What happened was I had my small aluminum boat on the back with everything else inside the SUV. Plan was when I got back from work I was going to go fishing. I am guessing the boat was the trigger as he figured I had everything inside. As a note to everyone who might do the same, make sure you park in the open as much as possible. I backed the boat to the trees leaving my back window at the back of the lot. Next time I will back up with my window to the road and put the boat up on the grass.

After, I drove to the police station filed the report, then went and bought a new trolling motor, fish finder, rod and a few worm harnesses to go fishing anyway. Screw him, he can take my gear but he can't stop me fishing. I was obviously later getting out there than planned but didn't care at that point. I went out front of Aikens Road and trolled 8-14 fow with worm harnesses until dark. I couldn't keep the perch and sunfish off but no walleye.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:40 am 
Walleye Angler

Man that sucks I hope the people get caught and spend some good time in a cell with a guy named bubba. Not likely though in this soft province of ours.....

Did you take pictures of the stuff that stolen previously? A good practice is to take pictures of all your gear and email them to your self as to have a permanent record for insurance purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:19 am 
Walleye Master

That sucks, been there done that, one of the worst feelings, that's for sure.

Most car and boat insurance's don't cover any thing that's not attached to your car or boat.
Unless you have extra insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:16 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

PM Sent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

Items stolen from a vehicle may be covered under home insurance, my home insurance covered my $1000 35 mm camera and accessories stolen out of my truck while it was parked in a church parking lot... a long time ago when film was still popular.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:55 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Here's a new product that's out there. I'm goin to put a couple in my tackle boxes, wallet etc. you will never lose anything again!
https://www.thetrackr.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 am 
Walleye Master

That tracker is an awesome idea. If you get one, let us know how it works. I'm slowly getting stuff replaced and it is a pita to have to do it. I always loved shopping for fishing stuff, but somehow this just doesn't have the fun factor with it and I don't want to do it again.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has sent a PM or added a post. It goes to show what a great bunch of guys are on this board.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:34 am 
Walleye

Ironic..............Was down a side street in Belleville yesterday to try avoid the construction on south Front st. and saw an SUV with back window smashed out of it as well. Makes ya wonder if this is the new game around Belleville? Sorry for your loss.........know what ya mean about it being more than just tackle. Tackle can be replaced but memories are just that without the lure ya caught the big one on or fished with dad. If ya try one of those tracking devices and happens again.........PM me and I will go with ya. Nothing be sweeter than knocking the teeth out of some scum bag petty thief. Nothing lower than a thief , liar{ unless fisherman or hunter} and most politicians!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:14 am 
Walleye Master

if those tracking devices are gps based, there are many cheap gps scramblers available on ebay for the thief's of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:20 am 
Site Admin

That tracker is cool. Wonder if I can attach it to a fish and relocate it? Lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:44 pm 
Walleye

DanElliot wrote:

They do offer a 'waterproof' version... probably more resistant than proof though!

Cool little toy but no good for tracking stolen stuff; if it communicated through any BT or wireless device to send location info then great but the device appears to only talk to your phone or someone else who happens to be running the software and have BT enabled. This is not intended to tracking stolen stuff unfortunately.

Maybe they should make an explosive version. Once it has been out of range of your device (phone) for a certain amount of time it explodes and destroys the stolen item (and maybe the thief!) but I guess that would have its complications also. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

mblaney wrote:
DanElliot wrote:

They do offer a 'waterproof' version... probably more resistant than proof though!

Cool little toy but no good for tracking stolen stuff; if it communicated through any BT or wireless device to send location info then great but the device appears to only talk to your phone or someone else who happens to be running the software and have BT enabled. This is not intended to tracking stolen stuff unfortunately.

Maybe they should make an explosive version. Once it has been out of range of your device (phone) for a certain amount of time it explodes and destroys the stolen item (and maybe the thief!) but I guess that would have its complications also. :?[/quote

Thanks for info!! I will purchase 3 of the explosion ones once you Start making them!! :lol: