banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:30 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

My buddy and i went out to troll for some lakers this morning. After 3 hours of fishing i had caught 2 Trout and my buddy had none. After no luck with lures he was using, he decided to try something new. Put something on he had never used and after about 30 mins his rod starts bouncing but not releasing from downrigger. Keep in mind we are fishing in 110fow with the downrigger set at 90ft. So anyways...he rips the line from the release and all he feels is weight, so we both just ASSUME its a decent sized laker. After what looks like a hard battle, and it gets closer to the boat we realize its a walleye(7-8 Lb). Now the question is...has anyone else on here ever caught a walleye 90ft down? Just seems kind of odd. The day ended with 2 laker for myself and my buddy got the walleye and 2 lakers not long after that. Great day on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:24 am 
Walleye Master

On Erie guys will get them running their riggers just off bottom....

No real laker numbers in Erie, so often when your marking decent hooks off bottom, they are Walleye.

Those are often the toughest to get to bite.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:05 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I get them by the boat load off the bottom in 140ft+ all summer on the St Lawrence.. Only problem is you are keeping them no matter the size because they blow their air bladders 100% of the time.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's common enough. I'm not much of a walleye guy which is why i thought i would ask.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 am 
Walleye Catcher

Weese3 wrote:
I get them by the boat load off the bottom in 140ft+ all summer on the St Lawrence.. Only problem is you are keeping them no matter the size because they blow their air bladders 100% of the time.

Weese - I fish the river often for walleye - are you targetting them down 140 feet or are you after trout or something? I've often wondered about trying down deep for trout on the river, but never really heard of anyone doing it with any success

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm 
Walleye Master

i can't imagine fishing that deep with the current in the Larry.

How is that done?

Cool!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:54 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I am targeting walleye down there. I only fish them deep during mid day when there move deep from the sunshine. I try to stick with 2oz bottom bouncers and worm harnesses but sometimes I have to go to 4oz bouncers to keep good contact with bottom.. I fish in some very strong currents and have a ton of line out at times, but can still stay on bottom..

No thermocline on the river down this way DL so its the same temp on bottom as on top ;) You will find wandering trout and even Salmon early in the year and late in the fall when the water temps are right..

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:45 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks for the info Weese. I usually target pike and smallmouth in the st lawrence. Maybe i will try a couple days trolling in there deep and see what happens.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 am 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks for the info Weese, maybe I will give that a go sometime....2oz keeps you on bottom in 140 fow? Geez I use 2-4oz weights on my bottom bouncer/harness rigs in 30 fow...and catch lots of bass while trying for walleye :roll: . I did once pull a 8lb salmon out of 14 fow in a back water slack area in september once...think he was lost :lol: that was a riot on my medium power rod!

banner ad