Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:07 am 
Walleye

A quick report on our efforts this past weekend.

17 of us booked into Merland Park for our Annual Father- Son fishing weekend (Thursday-Sunday), my boat came down on Tuesday. This is the 2nd year we have stayed at the Park and the accommodations and access to fishing was well received by the lads. What was not well received was the slow fishing which made our Saturday Fish fry a challenge.
Firstly we were getting temps of 59 right in the Bay itself to 66 out further towards Thompson's and Sherman's point. This warmed to a fairly constant 66 as the weekend progressed. I knew this was going to be an issue as from past experience I was hoping for constant temps a little north of 70 degrees, the other issue was that most of us are trollers and not caster's.

If anyone witnessed a Black Lund with a Blackhawk flag from the bow light standard that was I...GO HAWKS! I was able to try a number of different spots, unfortunately the rest of the group (with rentals) were confined to areas close by Merland Park.

We managed 6 eyes in total ranging from 3 to 3.5lbs, 2 for our boat. Both came off dragging spinner worm harnesses 6-8ft behind a 2oz bottom bouncer suspended at about 15-20ft in about 30FOW. We concentrated our trolling efforts mainly down the middle from the Essroc Plant out towards Thompson's Point. The rest of the group caught their Eyes casting into the shorelines in and around Merland Park. Several other species were caught including the winning 11.7lb Pike.

With my HAWKS taking 2 games in a row, a few Walleye caught and great camaraderie amongst us I would say our event was a success and will look forward to coming back down next year.

Good luck to all those planning a trip and those that fish the Bay regularly.

Steve
WalleyeWon

banner ad