banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:23 am 
Walleye Master

maybe speak with board member Pat Comeau?

he's a cop that has been supported by members of this board in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:34 pm 
Walleye

I just want to point out that not all police officers would've have responded the same way this one did & no I'm not an officer. I live in a town with municipal marina & it also does not allow fishing when boats are in. The difference from the sounds of the post is the marina in my town has 3 signs stating no fishing. When the boats are gone or the marina has officially closed well then u can fish. Unfortunately we live in a world were some people wreck things for everybody. Just because your responsible does not mean the next person will be. The town or city has to take the worst case secenario which is ban fishing while the boats are in to avoid people boats having lures bounced off them or lures attached to their tie off ropes etc... In the end it sounds like the city does not have a bylaw currently but I bet they will soon along with a couple of no fishing signs. People shouldnt have worry about flying lures when they're paying big $ to dock at a marina.
Just my 2 cents

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:36 pm 
Walleye

im still confused as to whether the issue is with people casting into the docks or whether they are trying to kick people out too who are trying to fish into the bay from the breakwall.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 am 
Walleye

Anyone can put a sign up. The question is if there's a law to back it up

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:26 pm 
Perch

If it is city owned property, the city can post it "no fishing" and then it would fall under the Trespass to Property Act and a charge could be laid.

You could also be charged with "trespassing to hunt/fish" under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act which has a bigger penalty.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:17 am 
Walleye Angler

pc154 wrote:
If it is city owned property, the city can post it "no fishing" and then it would fall under the Trespass to Property Act and a charge could be laid.

You could also be charged with "trespassing to hunt/fish" under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act which has a bigger penalty.

This is bang on and thanks for posting.
The city would have to either enact a bylaw or already have one on the books that stated fishing on the breakwall, pier, dock, etc is in contravention.
Now some municipal officials, commissioners could post signs that say fishing is not allowed but without a corresponding bylaw enacted and approved by council, the signs don't mean anything.
You will find this type of thing happening where someone doesn't want people parking along their street and they will put up their own no parking signs. It scares some people off and that might be the desired effect but you can probably park there and not be issued a ticket.
Generally, the city will post a bylaw number on the sign in fine print although some don't.
If you see that number, you are almost guaranteed that the activity is in contravention and you are risking being confronted by authorities.

banner ad
banner ad