Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Cops call at Myers pier
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:06 pm 
Walleye

Decided to go flip some weeds from shore tonight as we didn't have time to take the boat out. Walked out on the the break wall and started flipping the weeds. Security rolls out and tells us we are not allowed to fish the harbour. We were no where near any boats as I respect the fact that people have a lot invested. I was not ignorant at all to the security guard and she claimed I was trespassing. My question is is there a law anywhere that states you cannot fish the harbour. Caught a nice 3.5lber as she was there too lol. Long story short she called the cops and they came but could not provide proof that we were trespassing. We left voluntarily.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:05 am 
Walleye

you mean you were casting into the harbor side from the break wall or you were casting into the actual bay of quinte? I have fished off the break wall into the bay for 2 decades. Seen that security guard cruising around there this year. There is no way that it is illegal to cast into the harbor from the break wall. This is similar to the Cobourg incident posted earlier a month or so ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

It is no way against the law I was down there with my children and some random lady was giving us grief I under stand if maybe she was a little confused but there was no boats that early in the spring and like most here I too have fished there for years no harm done but some need to know that fishing is not a crime mugging little ol lady's is so what would they rather

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 am 
Walleye

The cop claimed that we were trespassing. I asked how could it be trespassing if I was sitting here on public property minding my own business. He said and I quote "because I say it is". Lol. Not once did I disrespect or come close to a dock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 am 
Perch

He's wrong and his reply was unacceptable. I like you would be polite but need a clear answer on this. I probably would have been at the police station shortly making an inquiry and asked the question there as to why someone would believe I was trespassing.
The Pier by it's very nature is open to the public. Unless there is a specific by law describing a designated area then his answer has no merit and he has better things to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:29 am 
Walleye Angler

Don't even get me started on Belleville cops !! Next time ask the cop if you can speak to his supervisor ! And when he asks why , then say since you can't prove why I'm trespassing on city property , hopefully your boss can!

Post subject: Cops call at Myers pier
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

"Because I say it is"... You would think they would be more tactful these days with smart phone video and utube so easy to use...such a disconnect amongst some civil service and the public that pay their generous salary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

I called the city today and asked about the supposed bylaw and there isn't one. Spoke with bylaw enforcement, parks and recreation and the city clerk. All said the same thing...no bylaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:27 am 
Walleye

That's awesome Dan thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:02 am 
Walleye Angler

The next time the cop comes down flapping his lips ask him if he makes up the laws on harassment too and offer to have a judge clarify it for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:14 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm not sure of the Pier but I do know just because its city property it doesn't mean you can be there. You cant go and sit at the mayors desk either. That being said I dont see a problem with fishing at the pier for most of us. There is some that are disrespectful to the people and the boats kept there though. I know people who have boats there and there has been some real idiots fishing there. Hitting boats / fishing off peoples swim platform etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Cops are held accountable by the law as well, if you were not trespassing, and the security guard and cop were harassing you then you can file a complaint. Shoulda got the cops name and badge number, make a complaint then call up the intelligencer ..... They love stories like this

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:55 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Musky793 wrote:
The cop claimed that we were trespassing. I asked how could it be trespassing if I was sitting here on public property minding my own business. He said and I quote "because I say it is". Lol. Not once did I disrespect or come close to a dock.

"F" him and the hard earned tax dollars he rode in on? True North Strong and FREE my ass.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:55 am 
Walleye Master

sign sign everywhere a sign do this don't do that cant you read the signs? ....... saying that a sign must be posted in order for someone to arrest or prosecute other wise how were you or anyone to know what is or isn't allowed in an area in question??? Park closes at 10 PM at 10:01 you are in violation of being in a closed park not for fishing,, sad to think but best thing to do is tell the officer to arrest you or get out of your cast space and stop the harassment if the cop was a good cop he should have told the security guard he cant help them. and the property in question is city owned not private owned city needs to post a sign no public fishing if they do that then no public taxes can be spent to maintain or PROTECT this area I would assume the security guard is on the public tax payers pay roll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:49 am 
Walleye

This isn't the first I have heard of this. My grandfather lives close to there, he was the one who first told me about this no fishing on the pier.

I don't know how, or if its enforceable, but the controversy started when a few people had to make trips to the hospital because people casting were snagged a few people who were walking.

banner ad