Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:22 pm 
Walleye

It's my goal to try new lakes every year so I tried Odessa lake, aka Mud Lake, for the first time yesterday evening. I heard it holds pike (and possibly bass), my fave fish to target, and tried to gather intel on-line and found little info. Even my fishing maps book does not include it, so I decided to post info on this interesting lake.

It is 5.7 km long lake from the inflowing and outflowing river at each end. It's shallow everywhere, averaging 4 ft and the deepest I saw was 9 ft and the bottom is covered with weeds. Patches of sparsely-spaced pencil weeds grow mostly on the north-west side. It's similar to Lake Camden. You can launch your boat at the natural-made boat ramp at Purdy water access off route 38 in Murvale, ideal for 12-14 ft light boats. There is 2.3 km ride through the 27 m wide stream to the first widening and another 2 km in a 350 m-wide river to the main lake. The water here is deep enough (5-8 ft) to zip all the way through without encountering heavy weeds or beaver dams (now anyway, dunno if it will choke up later in the summer).

Fishing was slow, caught only 1 small pike with a spinnerbait in pencil weeds in 5 FOW far in front of a white house, one of the few residences on the lake. It seems to have potential even though I did not have a lot of time to explore but I was happy to have tried it despite the rain - that's what fishing is about!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:21 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Now this is what forums are for...learning something new and makes me want to try new areas.

I've often wondered about this Lake and seen small boats launching at PM. A friend lives close and never fished it either.

Thanks for the excellent report...

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:00 pm 
Walleye

I tried the lake a couple years ago but didnt have much luck either but a nice canoe trip down the river.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:08 am 
Walleye Angler

I inquired about the lake when I moved to the area 4 years ago. Told every few years the water level is low during the long hot summer days, drought like conditions and the water temp gets to hot and kills off the majority of the resident fish. He mentioned it was good for the raising of Mosquitos so I have stayed away.
Cheers Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:21 am 
Walleye

We had a local guy who used to fish it a lot and he used one of those fan motors on a Jon boat to navigate it as the weeds were so thick. He claimed he always did well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:36 am 
Perch

I have fished it often and done quite well. Very heavy with weeds, but I fish from a kayak so no weed problems. Good Bass and Pike. It is difficult to use a boat there (weeds) access is limited, there used to be a gentleman that let people access from his property but through abuse (broken bottles,garbage etc) he cut the access off. It was the gentleman with the air boat that put me on to the lake.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 am 
Walleye Angler

I was there for a good part of yesterday afternoon and left about 9pm. We boated 4 nice buckets and lost 4, was a slow bite compared to the last time out there as we really got into them.

Pro Staff- Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Canadian Rep/Distributor Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem
Pro Staff- Gino's Pizza & Spahgetti

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:36 am 
Walleye

Fished there once back in 2010 and did really well catching pike on spinner baits. I thought it was a great little fishing spot. It was mid summer when I went there too.

banner ad
banner ad