Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:56 am 
Walleye Angler

would like to try some salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, but am wary because I have a Lund 14.5 ft boat with a 25 hp 2 stroke. I figure I'm good at 5 km/hr winds, but what about 10 km/hr?

Also, I wouldn't want to be out too far in case things got ugly. Someone told me that I'd have to go at least as far west as Newcastle (from Kingston) in order to get good depth, but still be within a reasonable distance from shore if things got sketchy with conditions. I can go about 25 miles/hr with 2 men in the boat.

Any advice is welcome, and if anyone would like to go for a day of fishing salmon, I've got all the gear, but not the Lake Ontario knowledge. Tks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:41 am 
Walleye

You can get into trouble with any boat if you don't use common sense. Knowing the forecast, knowing which direction the prevailing winds will be, knowing the capabilities of you and your boat will give you the confidence you need. Not overloaded!

In the context of "got ugly" not "I want to fish in it"... a good* 14' boat is pretty hard to swamp; it can be a rough ride for sure but IMO a stout tinny can be easier to manage than a bigger heavier boat. *Good means a quality higher gunwale boat, not a flat bottom or cheap Sears boat. If weather is possible I would head out into the expected wind (from Wellington heading west to the Bonnet is perfect because you will most likely get blown back in). If you keep other boats and charters in sight you can coattail ride them in.

At 25mph you will probably be 1/2 hour from cover wherever you want to fish, unless you get into technical difficulties but most would be 'in the same boat' in that case!

I assume you are not boating from Kingston to Newcastle 8O. Port Hope has a nice launch and easy access to deeper water, Wellington is a great spot to hit the Bonnet. Brighton Bay is another access but if it gets rough you will most likely be running parallel to the swells or slightly into it. I have not fished west of Port Hope.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:43 am 
Walleye Master

go out of bluffers and work the ledge.

not far out...and you'll be right in the mix.

look for north winds less than 10km with less than 15km gusts.

have fun!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:56 am 
Walleye Angler

Tie a pair of side cutters to each rigger, if you snag bottom in a following sea your boat will sink in about 3 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Wicklow you only need to go straight out 3 to 5 miles to start fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Just really watch the weather! Days like today are perfect for small boats. There has been 3 consecutive low wind days and the lake is laid right down now. If your comin from kingston just stop in port hope or like was mentioned earlier go out off of wicklow. I've been out 12 miles off of port hope in my old 14' tinny, as long as u can eye on the weather and have a well charged cell phone your good. If u decide to go oUTta PH shoot me a pm and I can give u my number for extra safety precaution. I'm out on the weekends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have been going to Port Hope, u get a good shot at boating a King, Coho, brown and lake trout. U don't have to go out far to find 100 ft of water, then get the bait to 60/70 feet
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

Personally I wouldn't go out on lake O in that rig, just too risky. Stick to harbor fishing in that little rig.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:23 am 
Walleye Master

guys kayak and canoe lake ontario...

just gotta pick your days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 pm 
Walleye

If you are getting into salmon fishing I just put a boat up for sale that is perfect for it in the buy and sell forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:11 am 
Walleye Angler

tks for all the info. lots to work with here. i'll post after my first trip, hopefully sometime later this month.

banner ad