Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: looking for a place
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:16 am 
Guppy

Hey everyone , my wife and I have recently adopted 2 boys, 5 and 6 yrs old , I want to take them fishing, I bought them 2 kids fishing rods to use. We would like to take them somewhere where we can fish from shore ( dont have a boat) for pan fish, not looking to catch a world record bass or anything lol, don't want it to be a busy place with lots of others around, and for my wife because she doesn't fish ,it would have to be a spot that she could set up a lounge chair to lay in and read while I look after the boys and the fishing. Also a place that is fairly close to the waters edge would be nice, nothing like a 4 ft rocky drop to the water, these 2 boys have a hard time sitting still and dont want to loose one down a drop off lol

Any suggestions would be great :)

Post subject: Re: looking for a place
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:44 am 
Walleye Angler

All the docks in town are a great place to take kids fishing. Tons of panfish !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:05 am 
Walleye Catcher

First of all Al, hats off to you and your wife for adopting two BOYS of ANY age, let alone 5 and 6. That's a full time job merely keeping those two bandits in sight.

Your requirements will probably limit responses; hopefully somebody has a location fitting most of them.

One suggestion: you NEED a good, proper-sized life jacket for each Kid. Insist those are worn anywhere near the water. Job One is their safety, right?

One way to produce 'fishing action' for Kids is off a dock offering structure for the fish. Dropping small lures with bait on small hooks off a suitable dock should pull a variety of Perch, Rock Bass, Crappie and/or Sunfish out from underneath the structure. If that doesn't happen in 5-10 minutes, re-locate by as little as a few feet.

Make sure you aren't on a dock used for launching boats, or you'll cause problems for the boaters.

If you don't have access to a suitable dock, try the local camps in this area. There'd probably be a fee, but usually not a huge outlay. There should also be other options if/when the Kids get bored - i.e. pool, camp store, washrooms, etc.

Apologies for not having 'The Answer', but you may find some of this info helpful. We hope you do well.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:39 am 
Walleye Angler

There is countless areas that would likely fit your criteria, perhaps you could narrow it down a little by suggesting where you would like to go. Belleville,Trenton,Trent Canal,Peterborough or an even more remote location, ect.ect.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 pm 
Perch

My vote would be Baycrest Lodge on Big Island at the Bay. comfortable cabins at reasonable prices and outstanding fishing from shore have been going there over 40 years PM at jdcorner2@verizon.net for more info.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:06 am 
Guppy

Wordpecker wrote:
First of all Al, hats off to you and your wife for adopting two BOYS of ANY age, let alone 5 and 6. That's a full time job merely keeping those two bandits in sight.

Your requirements will probably limit responses; hopefully somebody has a location fitting most of them.

One suggestion: you NEED a good, proper-sized life jacket for each Kid. Insist those are worn anywhere near the water. Job One is their safety, right?

One way to produce 'fishing action' for Kids is off a dock offering structure for the fish. Dropping small lures with bait on small hooks off a suitable dock should pull a variety of Perch, Rock Bass, Crappie and/or Sunfish out from underneath the structure. If that doesn't happen in 5-10 minutes, re-locate by as little as a few feet.

Make sure you aren't on a dock used for launching boats, or you'll cause problems for the boaters.

If you don't have access to a suitable dock, try the local camps in this area. There'd probably be a fee, but usually not a huge outlay. There should also be other options if/when the Kids get bored - i.e. pool, camp store, washrooms, etc.0
Apologies for not having 'The Answer', but you may find some of this info helpful. We hope you do well.

Rgds, Wordpecker

Thanks for the kind words and advice, already have life jackets for them as neither can swim, we took them to Niagara Falls for the March break and had to but life jackets for them then in order to use the pool, they love water so it is was a necessity. I use to fish ALLOT, have tons of gear, but I never fished the Quinte region when I was actively fishing, I was always going north to fish spring fed lakes and off the beaten path kind of lakes.

littledog wrote:
There is countless areas that would likely fit your criteria, perhaps you could narrow it down a little by suggesting where you would like to go. Belleville,Trenton,Trent Canal,Peterborough or an even more remote location, ect.ect.

narrow it down.... all your suggestions lol, we Live in Codrington( north of Brighton for though who may not know). I guess I am open to almost anywhere, I was thinking of the Trent just North of the 401 in trenton, off of glen miller rd ( Lock # 2 rd) I have never been in there, but someone told me there is a dock that you can fish from, and it is pretty quite.

As for renting a place , that is not what we are looking to do at this point,and I will keep your suggestion in mind for possibly a later time in thier lives, the boys are still settling in, and it has been a rough go for the older one, he has started to remember his past and what he has gone through and what he had to do to survive.

thanks for the advice and suggestions

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Cambellford is not too far from Brighton and is very scenic, with lots of safe shore fishing areas, good pan fishing, and it offers seclusion in some areas, Murray Canal is also close, and the area you mentioned, most locks north of #2 lock, on the way to Cambellford offer fishing opportunities, are relatively safe with proper precautions, and offer relative seclusion,Trenton and Belleville, as mentioned offer lots of spots, but may not be as secluded.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 am 
Goby

I'm not sure if they allow fishing all the time, but the conservation area just south of Campbellford on HWY 30 (small quarry) is a good spot for younger kids. My son has been a couple times earlier in the year and he caught something every time he cast. He's now 11 and is looking for a bigger challenge. Unfortunately, I'm learning to fish with him so I can't offer much more than that. Watching this thread though for more ideas!

Edit: Not unfortunate that I'm learning, but unfortunate that I don't know where to go or how to teach him better! :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:32 pm 
Guppy

I take my 8 year old son, to Seymour Conservation Area. There is a quarry there that has lots of panfish, that will keep your boys busy. Its a nice spot for swimming also, and a good spot for your wife to set up a chair

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Take county road 64 out of Brighton to the Murray Canal Bridge, the bridge master keeps the grass cut, there are picnic tables for a lunch, the boys can watch the bridge swing as the boats pass through or on the north side of the bridge you can take a rough drive west going down to the point into Brighton bay. DO NOT take the east bound road unless you have a good off road vehicle. Nice walking along the canal as well, a few horse/deer flies this time of year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:18 am 
Guppy

Snagmann wrote:
I take my 8 year old son, to Seymour Conservation Area. There is a quarry there that has lots of panfish, that will keep your boys busy. Its a nice spot for swimming also, and a good spot for your wife to set up a chair

I did think about going there but wasn't to sure if it would be a good spot or not , I wasn't sure if there was many people that went there to swim or not, hooks and swimmers don't mix to well lol .

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:19 pm 
Guppy

I've found , in my sons' case, that he likes to see the fish he catches, or teases....and Seymour is pretty clear. I've never experienced too many people swimming. There are also water snakes and turtles to see as well, its my son's favorite place to fish...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:45 am 
Guppy

Snagmann wrote:
I've found , in my sons' case, that he likes to see the fish he catches, or teases....and Seymour is pretty clear. I've never experienced too many people swimming. There are also water snakes and turtles to see as well, its my son's favorite place to fish...

ohh dear.... I dont do well with snakes lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:51 am 
Walleye

There is a lot of water going through the Trent right now. Heavy currents at the locks. And at Meyersburg. But you can try at the harbour in Trenton on either side. Bobbers and worms. Though I would try the east side as the wall is a lot lower.

Also downtown Belleville they have about 5 big docks in that are loaded with small panfish and the odd big bass.

Have fun.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:31 am 
Perch

There is also the municipal docks in Wellington .
The marina has good fishing and plenty of fish to be caught by the young guys.
There is also a restaurant and washrooms .

banner ad
banner ad