Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Salmon Point
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 pm 
Walleye Master

I spent the weekend fishing solo off salmon point trying to find, well...salmon. I worked 110 to 160 feet straight out from the point and only marked two big hooks together 80 down in 120 fow but that was about it for any sign of salmon for me. I heard of a few salmon caught in the area but seems they are still further west.

The only action in the morning came in the way of a couple nice lakers 100 down over 140 fow on a chrome green spin doctor with a green atomic fly. Figuring there weren't many salmon around I spent the afternoon looking for lakers in 50-100 fow and that same combo drove them crazy. Sorry no pics, but it made for a fun time one after another when you're on your own out there. All were between 8 and 20 lbs with 12 lb being about average.

Still waiting for the salmon to arrive, my guess is two weeks.

Post subject: Re: Salmon Point
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:42 am 
Walleye

New derby leader was caught in wellington yesterday

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 am 
Walleye Master

Son of a...fish.

I wonder if the first ones to arrive in the area are the bigger ones of the bunch that are still on the way? Like I said, I saw 2 big hooks together, but that was it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

I own a 16.5 ft fish & ski deep v Lowe, don't like to go out to far on Lake O. If u don't mind where is salmon point and would it be a good trip for a small boat. My usual spot is Port Hope , 100 to 180 ft of water and I feel comfortable with that short run in, plus I only go out if wind is less the 15 kph.
Cheers Rob

banner ad
 Post subject: Salmon Point
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 pm 
Walleye Master

It's a decent run rob. 8-12 miles from the channel at Wellington depending what depth of water you are looking for. Image

Doable on a calm day, just have to be prepared to pull the plug if it starts to blow.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the info, haven't tried a trip out of Wellington yet but it is on the list of places to try
Cheers Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:23 pm 
Perch

Quintes Isle Campark is on salmon point and has a launch on the south side of salmon point.

I asked them if I could use their launch when camping at Sandbanks (outlet river is unreliable due to sand bars) and they were amenable to that. In the end, I didn't use their launch because I decided to take a slip at Wellington marina.

I can't promise they'll allow you to use their launch but worth a call to save a long run in a smaller boat.

Brian

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:39 am 
Walleye Master

I was staying at Quinte Isle campground on the weekend. They have a great ramp\harbour and it is an easy run out to the point from there. I was also getting lakers 1-2 kms off shore between salmon point and point petre right out front of the campground if you didn't want to go all the way to the point.
I'm sure they would let anyone launch for a fee and if you do go there, make sure you stay between the two bouys in the lake going in and out of the harbour. It's rock either side.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:12 am 
Walleye Fingerling

I had the same experience as Adventure last year. the family and I were staying at Quinte Isle and I'd run out a couple Kms with the little ones until we hit the right depth and fished there. We didn't hit and monsters but we ate fresh salmon for supper. Good launch and unless it's blowing in really hard (I got blown off the water and got in with no issues), it was easy to get into their man-made bay.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:17 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Qunte's Isle has a nice launch and it's close as stated above, they only open the gate at 0900 hrs.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:59 am 
Walleye

I camped there 35 years ago when Mr. Rankin was there. It was very rustic as he commercialally fished eels there for years. At that time no one realized that the salmon could be caught on this side of the lake. I went out and caught my first salmon there. I was used to fishing the back lakes for trout so was I surprised when this fish hit and soared out of the water. I didn't realize they were still open as I saw the gate closed when I last passed by there. The historic lighthouse was quite a sight up close but being on private property I don't know if it eligible for any rehab funds.
Wellington at the time was just a silted in creek.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:55 am 
Perch

jimdoglk wrote:
I camped there 35 years ago when Mr. Rankin was there. It was very rustic as he commercialally fished eels there for years. At that time no one realized that the salmon could be caught on this side of the lake. I went out and caught my first salmon there. I was used to fishing the back lakes for trout so was I surprised when this fish hit and soared out of the water. I didn't realize they were still open as I saw the gate closed when I last passed by there. The historic lighthouse was quite a sight up close but being on private property I don't know if it eligible for any rehab funds.

I'd love to see old pictures of Wellington if anyone has some - last week I fished a stump in West Lake that turned out to be the boiler of shipwreck!

Brian

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:00 pm 
Walleye

jimdoglk wrote:

They are refering to quintes isle campground which is just up the road from the campground which you camped at which was Salmon point Campground. Salmon Point campground closed 4 years ago and the property was sold. My grandfather was Stanley Rankin and when you were there 35 years ago I would have been the blond haired 8 year old side kick of his. Boy do I ever miss those days.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:53 am 
Walleye

Salmon point campground was an amazing property. I worked on a propane truck in the summers as a student, we delivered there every other weekend. Good access to some great fishing, I would have to think there would be unbelievable duck hunting in the late season, and the last time I was in there with my current job there was 3 Jake's in the oaks near the lighthouse. I hope the new owners don't plan on ruining that one of a kind place with plans that are likely in place for the rest of the properties on the south shore. I lost a good hunting spot on army reserve already.

banner ad
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:44 pm 
Walleye

chesapeake wrote:
Salmon point campground was an amazing property. I worked on a propane truck in the summers as a student, we delivered there every other weekend. Good access to some great fishing, I would have to think there would be unbelievable duck hunting in the late season, and the last time I was in there with my current job there was 3 Jake's in the oaks near the lighthouse. I hope the new owners don't plan on ruining that one of a kind place with plans that are likely in place for the rest of the properties on the south shore. I lost a good hunting spot on army reserve already.

The people that bought it are/were suppose to fix up the lighthouse and they were going to build a family compound as well, as far as I know nothing has been done up there except they tore down 2 cottages that have been vandalized over the last couple years.

banner ad
banner ad