banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:12 am 
Baitfish

For over a decade, I used to fish the BoQ at least 2 or 3 times per summer until about 6 years ago. At the time, the slot limits were in effect but I understand that it's no longer the case. I'm thinking of heading there for some walleye fishing with my Dad. I have been periodically reading this board to see what's going on. Compared to pre-2009, has the walleye fishing dropped off? Last time I was there I recall the water being really clear and weed infested in places we never saw weeds before. I think this was due to in part to the zebra mussels. Has that situation improved? Did the slot limits help the fishery at all? I used to fish the normal spots: Sherman's Pt, around Ram island, in front of Bayview... Are those still the main hot spots these days?

Looks like Uzick's are still the rave. I remember when John gave me a bunch on the water one day back in the early 2000s. He was landing fish like crazy and we had nothing using those Baker's Mint spinners. John was kind enough to give us a bunch and we pulled in our limit my the end of the day. In '09 I recall buying them from another fellow who was making them at the time (Hay Bay Larry???). Is he still the go-to guy for Uzick re-orders? If anyone has suggestions of other lures I'd appreciate it.

We used to stay at Bayview. I think saw something to the effect that Bob and Georgette sold it. Anyone have experience with the new admin?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:45 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Welcome back to Quinte

Answers to some of your questions:

The slot that was to imposed a number of years ago was never instituted by MNR the evening before the opening of the season.

Fishing has remained good in the summer going thru good and bad fishing, right now the fishing is quite difficult.

Regarding the Uzick Spinner, I have been supplying a number of places - Bayview Resort, Merlands Park, Mohawk Camp Ground and Brown Bear Tackle in Kingston. Bayview has them at the office. I have been catching fish on them although not in the numbers as in the past.

I am a camper at Bayview and the new owners are working to improve the cottages and the campground.

When are you planning your return? Hopefully by then the fishing will improve for your fishing trip.

Lotsa luck when you're back.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:15 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

There is no slot on all eye per say but you can only keep one over 63 cm or 24.8 inches

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 pm 
Baitfish

Thanks David,

I remember you from Bayview. If memory serves me correct, fishing on the BoQ was always better in August so I'll probably go then. I'll check my inventory of spinners and get back to you. If you're there frequently, maybe we can meet up.

banner ad