Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:40 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:30 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

So i went out trolling for some pike in shallow water today and caught something slightly odd. I tied on a bomber long A and threw it back and started trolling. I was watching the sonar and was trying to keep the boat in 5-8 fow and all of a sudden i looked over and my rod was shaking so i grabbed it an set the hook hard. I looked back 100ft to where my lure was and to my amazment i see a bunch of grey and white fighting on the surface. A seagul dove into the water and tried to escape with my purple bomber. No other catches today. At least i never got skunked haha. No pics but it was released safely. Had one trebel in it beak and the other in its foot. Most interesting catch of the year by far and just as fiesty as a angry pike trying to release it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:45 am 
Walleye Master

Here in the spring when trolling floating stickbaits on long leads, you have to be careful not to slack them too bad on your turn. I learned the lesson the hard way. Most people with back the boat to them and throw a coat or tiwel over them and pull the hooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:48 am 
Jumbo Perch

I can picture what happened - a lot of time they come close to grabbing a top water lure that I throw out - only hooked one in my life time - for awhile it was like flying a kite - bought it down into the boat and got the hook out of its mouth - it was a rubber frog that I had flipped onto a lily pad -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:23 am 
Walleye Angler

When I was a kid we fished for carp in a canal, people would throw bread in the water all the time to feed ducks geese etc, the carp because accustom to this and would often come up to the surface and grab the bread. Our preferred fishing method was to get a light hook squish up a piece of bread around the hook and cast it out. Got some carp doing this but also got a seagull once, not fun for an 8 yr old kid, I ended up cutting the line. Needless to say didnt try to fish with floating bread anymore, changed over to real dough balls they sink faster lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:57 am 
Walleye

You can tell people you got a flying fish!

banner ad