Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Wellington salmon update
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 am 
Walleye Master

Just posted this on spoonpullers and thought I'd post it here too.

Wellington was slow to get going and although hasn't really been on fire. It has consistently been producing fish. This year a speed and temp probe has really helped. As the water seem to change so often, finding good water has made a difference. The other thing that has become evident when the bite is a little tough like this year is having a diverse spread. I know it can get expensive but working copper rods, and wire divers into a spread really can make a difference. We go through a few days where only copper fires and then a week the riggers are working well etc. It's only been the last day or so that everything in the spread took fish.

The water either turned or was just plane screwed up here last week and finding good water up against structure was really important for us. Areas like this were good and held bait.

For the most part spoons have been the best producers. Although that seems to be changing to meat. Best depth has been 75-85 down. 350 copper has out fished my 500's which isn't normal for here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 am 
Walleye Master

Good report Scott. Our coppers have been doing well also. Currents have been pretty extreme. Meat has been doing well, mc rockets and familiar bite. You have some serious contour changes in that area.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 am 
Walleye Catcher

Good job Scott, thats a beauty rig you have there. The wire dipsys look like they are treating you well too

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am 
Walleye Catcher

Just out of curiosity, when you say "copper", does that mean you are not using down-riggers ? If so, can you actually fish out there with something other then riggers ? Never tried it, but curious if these fish are catchable without having to go deep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:36 am 
Walleye Master

When we refer to copper, it is a reel spooled with copper line. Typical copper lengths on reels are 300-600 ft. This line sinks roughly 22 ft per 100 ft of line. So a 400 copper goes almost 90 ft down. The other method is wire on a reel. The wire is steel and when used with a dipsy diver depths over a 100 can be reached. Basically there are 3/mthods to reach salmon when they are deep. Copper, downriggers, or dipsys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:52 am 
Walleye Catcher

Thanks Landshark... gotta try this. Might have to take a jaunt over to the fishing store to see what equipment they have for this. I know '0' about lake fishing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Brown bear tackle in Kingston is stocking some trolling gear, I picked up an okuma blue diamond wire dipsy rod from him and I am very pleased with it. He carries spindoctors and flies which are working very well right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Scott for your report. Brent and I made the decision to fish the Bonnet tomorrow, instead of Newcastle. He wants to shop local. Hope it pays off. Will post later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:59 am 
Walleye Master

sunrisecottageresort wrote:
Thanks Scott for your report. Brent and I made the decision to fish the Bonnet tomorrow, instead of Newcastle. He wants to shop local. Hope it pays off. Will post later.

Go get em!! I got a 25.5 yesterday that would have made the board if I had a ticket, although I'm sure it would get bumped by weeks end.

They are out there. Just ask Brent!!! (For those that don't know Brent got a 27 and change that finished last week in the top 6 of the Sun derby)

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:55 am 
Walleye Angler

was out yesterday morn in great weather for my small 14 fter. found bait and some markings but no salmon. 1 big 22 pound laker only for the day on a nasty boy spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55 am 
Walleye Angler

I was out yesterday and did well ! Very slow at first and then the bite turned on with double headers and smiles all around !! The bite for me did not happen till around noon , then 5 out of 6 rods I had out turned fish , only one that did not fire was meat , which is weird since last year meat took most of my fish . Also the fleas were real bad , and had to clear rods often .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:21 am 
Walleye Master

Great pictures and beautiful chromer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am 
Walleye

Thanks Scott. I have been getting some good ones early in the am. But honestly struggling later in the day to catch consistently. It was a good feeling placing.

It was a coworker that reeled in the 27.04. And his wife got a 17. First salmon for both. Fun day on the water

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 am 
Walleye Fingerling

My buddy Chuck was on the boat during that charter and texted me some pics while I was laid up in hospital.... Man you guys did well! Looks like a great day to be on the water.

G

banner ad