banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think the series should be
Leave it as is 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Largemouth only 61%  61%  [ 30 ]
Don't care don't tourney fish 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Quinte fishing series
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:40 pm 
Walleye

Hey guys/girls

Just wondering what the interest level would be if the qfs was a largemouth only series. I don't fish the series strictly cause of the smallie events and don't have the required boat to run to the lake. Do you think it would be a bigger draw? I realize that there are largie tourney only in the series but just wondering what everyone opinion is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Musky793,

Your question is a interesting one and speaking now on behalf of the Quinte Fishing Series committee we are always open to hear Angler feedback. We meet regularly and in fact we will be meeting before the Classic to discuss dates for next year and a few other items. One of the items on the table is the question you've raised. We recognize there are Anglers who want the series to be largemouth only. We look forward to hearing everyone's respectful comments and suggestions.
Regards

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 pm 
Walleye

This is an excellent topic to discuss. While you sure wont make everyone happy either way my vote 100% goes towards largemouth only. I believe it puts things on a slightly more level playing field for sure. Granted there is a small group of guys who fish the series that always seem to be in the top ten no matter what but still I believe it should be largies only.
I personally have fished every tournament in the series before in one year and had fun but you most likely will never see me do that again until its a largemouth only series.
I have a boat that could easily make the run but fishing is expensive enough as it is without spending hundreds of dollars a day in gas. Tough for the blue collar guy to compete with someone who is willing to spend $300-$400/day in gas money.
Also there is the fact that it is supposed to be the QUINTE series. I overheard one guy once say that the first place he stopped to fish had a sign that said welcome to Ontario. To me that is crazy.
Anyway this is just my two cents but I would probably fish more events if it was a largemouth only series.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I voted for largemouth only, I don't mind the series how it is now. It is hard to compete with the smallie guys.
I think it should be limited to the ferry, but both smallies and largemouth. After all it is the Quinte series, keep it in the bay and more on a level playing field.
That is my opinion.
Teppy

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:36 am 
Walleye Catcher

I also voted largemouth only. Have fished the series 2 years now. And we seem to keep up in the largemouth part but don't even come close when it comes to smallmouth. We fished the last tournament that aloud smallmouth and got a complete butt kicking from everyone that made the run. We for one don't have engine or time to be making it. For that reason we aren't taking part of this next 2 day event coming up to take another pounding by guys that can. We will be back for the classic.
I completely agree that there should be a cut off at glenora ferry. Keep the whole series apart of quinte. That's what it is all about the quinte series. Show off what we have in our body of water to fish and catch. Not to run out to Lake Ontario and have a full lake system. That's my input on the poll. And really like how this has came out for us anglers to put in our 2 cents about the matter

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:05 am 
Walleye

Thanks for the inputs guys. Wasn't sure where this would go but so far it's positive.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:54 am 
Walleye Master

Checks are cashed at most largemouth events from fish caught at the lake. Its a very complex thing. a small boat cashed a check at the last smallie event with smallies. my 18 footer with 150, has a range of belleville to kingston round trip. ($150 or so plus oil). there is places on water to get gas. as the 150 and under class got cut because less then 1/4 of the field was in this class.

There is boats in the field that will go else where if you cut lake or small mouth. I went else where this year, because i got sick of big water, big bay has beat me up many times. The shoot out series events i have been doing have been on small lakes that would fit in haybay. Bigger fields almost 80 boats.

What does it take to be a top team on quinte ?? 7 days a week on quinte (no fishing else where). this is what the top teams do. they earn there results.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 am 
Walleye Angler

I am no longer on the QFS committee.

fireball wrote:
... my 18 footer with 150, has a range of belleville to kingston round trip. ($150 or so plus oil). there is places on water to get gas.

The only difference between a 17' w/150 and a 21' w/250 making that run is 10mins; and if the 150 gets their money in early and gets a better start time, that difference can never be made up by the larger engine. The date on your entry is more important than the sticker on your engine...

Smaller 17' boats have been making the run Belleville-Lake Ontario for 20+ years. The only difference between 20 years ago and now is that now you NEED to go lake; avg smallmouth size has gone up 40% making it almost impossible to compete weighing in a largie bag. Its my feeling that this 'financial requirement' coupled with a long learning curve is a bit off-putting for new anglers. My answer to this has always been a change in venue - Waupoos, Picton, Adolphustown, even a farmer's field with appropriate waterfront could be used with proper planning.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:33 am 
Walleye

MattClapp wrote:
I am no longer on the QFS committee.

fireball wrote:
... my 18 footer with 150, has a range of belleville to kingston round trip. ($150 or so plus oil). there is places on water to get gas.

The only difference between a 17' w/150 and a 21' w/250 making that run is 10mins; and if the 150 gets their money in early and gets a better start time, that difference can never be made up by the larger engine. The date on your entry is more important than the sticker on your engine...

Smaller 17' boats have been making the run Belleville-Lake Ontario for 20+ years. The only difference between 20 years ago and now is that now you NEED to go lake; avg smallmouth size has gone up 40% making it almost impossible to compete weighing in a largie bag. Its my feeling that this 'financial requirement' coupled with a long learning curve is a bit off-putting for new anglers. My answer to this has always been a change in venue - Waupoos, Picton, Adolphustown, even a farmer's field with appropriate waterfront could be used with proper planning.

Very interesting points of moving the blast off points for the smallie events

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:37 am 
Walleye

It also seems like some of the local lakes would be good to host tournaments on as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:53 pm 
Baitfish

I believe making it bay only and keeping it open to largies and smallies would be best. I'm sure the series would gain more entrants, yes you may lose a hand full of teams but I'm sure the number of new teams would be greater then the ones that choose to leave. Of course the next question is how do you prove guys didn't go to the lake. I'd like to think for the most part guys will be honest and not try to pull something like that. So the easiest move would be make it largie only but it'd be ashame to not be able to target smallies at all, I think some of us know that there is still the odd smallmouth in the bay. I know personally I've caught big smallmouth in four feet of water fishing for largemouth and unfortunately I had to throw it back because it was "largemouth only".

I look forward to any changes that may occur next year and if there isn't any, I'll still be fishing the series. I think it's a great series with excellent pay outs and it's organized and operated by top notch people.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 pm 
Guppy

Dan first of all only two people call the shots on the commitee we all know that if it was bay only the numbers would double not everyone can afford the run to the lake there are alot of good anglers in the series but dont want the expense so donate if the lake is open launch at the lake make it even playing field if not you have 30 comp fours against 10 sprint cars.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

No one "calls the shots" on the committee. We meet and discuss changes. The discussion goes around the table, sometimes it goes around a few times. We try to reach a consensus. If we can't reach a consensus it goes to a majority vote.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

LARGEMOUTH ONLY and the lake open!!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

[quote="fireball"]Checks are cashed at most largemouth events from fish caught at the lake. Its a very complex thing. a small boat cashed a check at the last smallie event with smallies. my 18 footer with 150, has a range of belleville to kingston round trip. ($150 or so plus oil). there is places on water to get gas. as the 150 and under class got cut because less then 1/4 of the field was in this class.

There is boats in the field that will go else where if you cut lake or small mouth. I went else where this year, because i got sick of big water, big bay has beat me up many times. The shoot out series events i have been doing have been on small lakes that would fit in haybay. Bigger fields almost 80 boats.

What does it take to be a top team on quinte ?? 7 days a week on quinte (no fishing else where). this is what the top teams do. they earn there results
.[/quote

Fireball[/b[b]] I don't know where you r getting your numbers but I would say 95% of largemouth wins are from the Bay!!!!!
if you wish to go to the Lake for largemouth GO, but any angler in the series know they can compete with any largemouth from the Lake, !!!
If you cut it off at the ferry You open another can of worms !!!!

banner ad
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next