banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think the series should be
Leave it as is 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Largemouth only 61%  61%  [ 30 ]
Don't care don't tourney fish 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 49
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:06 pm 
Walleye Master

might be wrong but i thought 2nd at last years 1 day was large mouth..
1, Matt Seely, Steve Yarrow, 4.99, 21.8
2, Ben Asselstine, Darcy Asselstine, 4.93, 20.48
3, Randy Scero, Rob Scero, 4.83, 20.25
4, Bob Izumi, Darren Izumi, , 20.12
5, Justin Willsher, Marc Tepfenhart, , 19.81
6, Murry Brydson, Bill Brydson, 4.81, 19.54
7, John MacDonald, John MacDonald JR, 5.6, 19.02
8, Curtis Richardson, Jim Richardson, , 18.41
9, Derek Thibeault, Kevin Truelove, 5.03, 18.37
10, Rob Bowen, Dave Stark, 4.34, 18.34

52 boats last year less this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 pm 
Guppy

Larry C. wrote:
I feel it should be large mouth only and the lake should be open. As far as policing it at the fairy to me that is an impossibility due to the size of the area,if anyone reported a red white boat or any other color or make past the fairy on tournament day, any one that weighted in a big bag of fish with the same color or make would be a suspect for cheating, even though the boat reported might not of even been in the tournament.
As far as running to the lake goes pretty well every boat that fishes the QFS could do it, but it is not that simple, you can get there but when you do can you be competitive. With out mega time and a healthy supply of money and the willingness to suck up the costs of repairs I don't think so. It takes as long to learn the lake as it does the bay, maybe even longer due to the weather.
It is a shame to have to forgo the smallies in the bay, all you can do is look at them the same way you would a walleye on tournament day fun to catch but of no value to you that day.
That way the playing field will be as even as it will ever be, because whoever can spend alot of time on the water learning, will always do well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:18 am 
Walleye

I believe the poll above is a little biased (only targeting the largemouth votes) and is not a true indicator of the QFS membership views.

I've had some great discussions with both Richard and Dan in the past on this topic (and others). Myself, I've mentioned that I prefer to not compete in a series where the same criteria (i.e. boundaries and species) are not constant through out the season. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just my viewpoint.

Quinte Series is certainly a well conducted series (thumbs up)!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:54 pm 
Goby

VOTE: Smallmouth + Lake Open

PEPE saying this pole is a little biased is a huge understatement. (ALOT of the smallmouth guys are not members of this board)

Having a series that includes Walleye, Largemouth and Smallmouth and Lake open is what makes the Quinte series so great. Is it more challenging to have to constantly change your focus? Yes. I personally love the small mouth aspect and love the challenge of learning them/fishing them. If Quinte gets rid of Small mouth and or the lake I will unfortunately be finding another series to fish.

Suggestions to help numbers.

1. Let people pay/ sign up the day before. ($25 dollar fee for doing so)
2. 1 day formats seem to interest more people (classic remain 2 day format)
3. Quinte always held 1 day smallmouth event the Sunday after the Kingston open (this didn't happen and yes numbers are down)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well these are my 2 cents after having discussions with Dicki,Brad,and Dan Elliot all about what changes are needed;

There are no doubts in my mind that change is needed,
1) we either need to change it to Bay only,
2) largies only,

I personally think that one thing I'm not hearing is the fact there are lots of others who haven't chimed in about running the lake for largies?
There are a number of teams who don't fish it anymore because they feel by the lake being open they can no longer compete but also I think we all need to remember a couple of yrs ago it wasn't so much Matt and Steve winning it was the Johnsons who are continually cleaning up on all the circuits they are fishing because they have figured out the St Lawrence river also!!
The only reason they aren't fishing it anymore is because there's no longer big pay days with the numbers being down and everyone is getting tired of fishing for second.
I really believe if the QFS is to be more competitive for all who fish it u need to cut it off at the ferry.
With today's technology and cell phones if we make the stickers bigger and put on cowlings there is a better chance of catching cheaters and make it well know if u get caught u would no longer be able to fish the QFS.
No one likes a cheater and we would tend to eat our own!!
A side note I am one who runs the lake and plays with the smallies a lot but I want what's best for the series.
The series I very well run and take a look at the paybacks. These guys don't do this for a living!!!

I also sponsor the series and again want what's best and those who are on the committee need to really think about all this and hopefully make the changes needed.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:35 pm 
Baitfish

I think the number of teams that fish this weekend will prove its time for change, we will all see tonight. As stated before some teams will leave but more will return.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:48 pm 
Perch

Personally I voted to keep it the same, I enjoy the opportunity, challenge and risk/reward of targeting smallies.
However, given the choice between bay only and largemouth only I would have to go with largemouth only.
This is the easiest to police, no unnecessary questions of character or accusations, etc if someone weighs in a big smallie or two. The bay of quinte includes the adolphus reech past the ferry. Also if someone wants to run an hour + for largies, that's part of the game, the risk and reward. There is no obvious gap between the two sets of largemouth as their is when you compare largemouth to the lakes smallmouth.
No matter what I will fish the series again next year and only missing this tournament because my brother decided to go camping instead.... I would like to see another bass tournament added somewhere in July and August given the earlier start to bass season.
Like many have said, great series run by great folks.

Cheers,

Ben Clapp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

The CSFL has run multi day events out of Trenton for many yrs. Usually with one of the days lake open. I believe the other days were bay only largies and smallies allowed, with ferry as cutoff. Does anyone know if they had any problems with policing or cheating accusations?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:58 pm 
Walleye Angler

Its not whether policing or cheating occurs!
Less potential for accusations which could arise !!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 pm 
Walleye Master

didn't the most recent yankee bass tournament on the St Lawrence cut off lake ontario in the boundaries?

that tournie had a heckuva lot more anglers, and a lot more money on the line, than the QFS.I'm surprised anglers would be willing to forgo fishing smallies in Quinte (actual quinte, not Lake Ontario), just to keep the lake open....

i'm finding this thread very interesting....each different perspective...

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30 pm 
Baitfish

I think we all line up at the first tourney next year and have Dr Bruce tag us all with pink radio transmitter tags, set up a control board for Dickie and he'll know exactly where we all are :D :D
Look,everyone is going to have some opinion on this which is great as far as feedback for the Series goes..I hear some talk of challenges,,make it Bay only Largies and Smallies...you want a challenge, then try and cash a cheque chasing the Smallies we all know are in the Bay..sure it can be,and has been done but not easy. I agree with an earlier post around policing..this is a well run series with a bunch of core anglers that are respectful of rules and wouldn't risk a possible ban from something they love to do ..just one more opinion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:43 pm 
Minnow

Anybody who thinks that making the series largemouth only is going to level the playing field . is sorely mistaken
Coming from a guy who just started fishing the series because of the small mouth fishery ...making this series largemouth will do one thing and that's make the top 5 alot more consistent a guy who has 20+ years on the bay is going to be able to overcome alot more then a guy who doesn't . I won't be donating my money to a series where the top 5 being paid is the same every event . that's my two pennies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:21 am 
Walleye Master

landAlunker wrote:
Anybody who thinks that making the series largemouth only is going to level the playing field . is sorely mistaken
Coming from a guy who just started fishing the series because of the small mouth fishery ...making this series largemouth will do one thing and that's make the top 5 alot more consistent a guy who has 20+ years on the bay is going to be able to overcome alot more then a guy who doesn't . I won't be donating my money to a series where the top 5 being paid is the same every event . that's my two pennies

+1

Have been asked many times where does the money go ?? 85% pay out plus a $40 per angler fee. My reply always is there is lots of expenses to run a series..

Why no walk on's ??? has come up many times, Shoot out series, has less then half the field pre-register. go to there even on big rideau this sunday and be amazed how smooth it goes. they go from 43 to 77 after walk on's.

Bass master elite guys, launch in waddington newyork, its a 1 1/2 drive by car from kingston. i went to weight in, explanation was they have over 140 miles of river to fish, and lake added many challenges they wanted to avoid.. The winner was the only one that went to lake that they talked about, but i was at lake day one of that event 3 years ago, and saw half a dozen boats, one texan very lost, who cut a cross a 2 foot deep rock pile. after being told by us to not go over there. was amazed by the amount of them in the gan area this year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:33 am 
Walleye

I wasn't trying to be biased at all. I've heard multiple anglers rant about how it would be nice if it was lm only so I posted to see interest. Walk on is a great idea. This weekend only 31 boats heading out. Go to all. Anything to make it a bigger draw would be good imo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:28 pm 
Walleye

Would it make sense to take one second to think about what it means to be called the QUINTE FISHING SERIES?
I truly believe the tournament is a long long way from what it was originally intended to be.
I do agree that you cant complain about the organization of the tournaments. Extremely well done!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad