Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Netting Fish in BOQ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:35 am 
Jumbo Perch

I read where the First Nation people net walleye in Lake Nipissing - I was wondering if Natives are allowed to net walleyes in the BOQ - I've fish the Bay many times and saw a net only one time off Big Island - just wondering - I've seen commercial fisherman net crappie in the Rideau Canal north of Kingston - I was surprised on how many crappie they had netted - they do this in the fall when the crappie school up - thanks - Joe

Post subject: Re: Netting Fish in BOQ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Joe,
There are commercial fisherman in the bay and at certain times of the year there are also native set nets.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

JoePa wrote:
I read where the First Nation people net walleye in Lake Nipissing - I was wondering if Natives are allowed to net walleyes in the BOQ - I've fish the Bay many times and saw a net only one time off Big Island - just wondering - I've seen commercial fisherman net crappie in the Rideau Canal north of Kingston - I was surprised on how many crappie they had netted - they do this in the fall when the crappie school up - thanks - Joe

Joe, that was a great article, if we read the same one. The article stated, the chief of the First Nations in this area, is banning all gill netting for Walleye, by natives. He recognized the fishery is suffering there and hopes by implementing this, the population will "rebound ".

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:17 am 
Walleye Master

Does anyone have a link to this article?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:29 am 
Jumbo Perch

http://mnrwatch.com/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:32 am 
Walleye Master

Thank u

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:26 pm 
Baitfish

I do it to feed my family. I suppose continuing cultural practices and traditions is small price to pay for assimilation. But I won't get into it. I guess we should become totally westernized. "Nuff" said.

Better lock this one Dan.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Actions by NFN shows they're serious with the stewardship, sustainability and conservation of the lake. Good article and let's leave it at that.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

DanElliot wrote:
Actions by NFN shows they're serious with the stewardship, sustainability and conservation of the lake. Good article and let's leave it at that.

Thanks Dan.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:18 pm 
Baitfish

steve-hamilton wrote:
I believe you have become totally westernized, based on the methods used to "feed your family".

Cultural practices are just a smoke screen in this day in age.

"Nuff" said.

I believe your small minded. I also believe that gill netting and spearing should be looked into or atleast regulated. I enjoy spearing walleye in the spring and I will continue to do so for many years to come. I do it because it's my right and I take only what I need. Unfortunately white people and others can't do it because like everything you do, it becomes more about greed then anything and eventually you harvest any and all species to the point of extinction. So just because you "can't" do what First Nations people can, don't be upset. Just be thankful your ancestors came to this country and didn't get their wagon burned. Continue coming to the reserve to buy your cheap smokes and gas....wait a minute.. That stuff just benefits you.

I believe in conservation and I likely catch and release more fish than the average fisherman. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. We all know if you could do it, you would.

It would be silly for me to continue posting anything on this topic because I'm likely one of the few First Nations people that goes on this site.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 pm 
Walleye

Wally18 wrote:
steve-hamilton wrote:
I believe you have become totally westernized, based on the methods used to "feed your family".

Cultural practices are just a smoke screen in this day in age.

"Nuff" said.

I believe your small minded. I also believe that gill netting and spearing should be looked into or atleast regulated. I enjoy spearing walleye in the spring and I will continue to do so for many years to come. I do it because it's my right and I take only what I need. Unfortunately white people and others can't do it because like everything you do, it becomes more about greed then anything and eventually you harvest any and all species to the point of extinction. So just because you "can't" do what First Nations people can, don't be upset. Just be thankful your ancestors came to this country and didn't get their wagon burned. Continue coming to the reserve to buy your cheap smokes and gas....wait a minute.. That stuff just benefits you.

I believe in conservation and I likely catch and release more fish than the average fisherman. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. We all know if you could do it, you would.

It would be silly for me to continue posting anything on this topic because I'm likely one of the few First Nations people that goes on this site.

I am Native too and I think some of these guys stereo type us all the same way. Yes there are some Natives that take more than they need but there are just as many white people that take more than they need all the time,

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Cannitro 482,
Very true. It's not a thing exclusive to any specific race. They come in all shapes color and sizes. I knew this thread was going to go south. It rarely can be discussed without racist, stereotyping or hateful comments posted.

banner ad
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]