Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Any Snowmobilers ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm 
Guppy

Hey Guys,

I've never owned a snow machine and have no clue what to look for or ask about, but i am currently looking at 2 of the following, something entry level to use and abuse and learn on.

Any advice as to who i could ask about these things ? or where i could possibly post would be much appreciated.

2005 arctic cat t660 turbo st - 4 stroke with 17,000 KM

or

2006 yamaha rs90n nytro - 4 stroke also with 17,000 KM

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Any Snowmobilers ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:22 am 
Baitfish

Yamaha were the pioneers and continue to be the leaders in 4 stroke snowmobiles in my opinion. Having owned a turbo four stroke I would advise against it. Should it require service be prepared to take out a bank loan.

POLARIS Forever :mrgreen:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:52 am 
Site Admin

I bought my first machine last year. When I was looking for a machine I didn't know what to look for. The only thing I knew was that I would use it for ice fishing only. No trail riding or anything like that. Didn't know a clue about what to look for.
I asked around and was told the same thing. Get a fan cooled, studded track and single carb. I found a polaris Indy trail deluxe which isn't quite the right machine but pretty close. It has electric start, reverse, tow hitch, heated grips and a 2up seat. Overall I'm satisfied with the machine.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am 
Walleye

I use to be pretty heavy into sleds. Last sled I had was a 2009 Arctic Cat Z1 (1100)Turbo. It was a good and fast machine, no complaints. My riding buddies and I had all different brands of sleds throughout the years and from what we noticed was if you want a sled that will last but maybe not be the fastest buy a Yamaha, they are a pretty dependable sled. As far as those 2 sleds that you mentioned are concerned I would go with the yamaha. Those are quite a few kms on those sleds, I would be concerned about the longevity of the turbo on the t660 as 2004 was the first year for the t660 so it hadn't been around very long and replacing a turbo would be expensive.
With that amount of kms I would check the track for tears, the wheels for rubber delaminating usually a sign of the bearings are in bad shape(not an expensive fix though)te shock might need rebuilding It would be nice to take them for a ride but kinda hard this time of year. Again I would go with the yamaha. Ask the yamaha owner if it ever had a turbo or supercharger on it, if it did I would walk away from it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:53 am 
Walleye Fry

DanElliot wrote:
I bought my first machine last year. When I was looking for a machine I didn't know what to look for. The only thing I knew was that I would use it for ice fishing only. No trail riding or anything like that. Didn't know a clue about what to look for.
I asked around and was told the same thing. Get a fan cooled, studded track and single carb. I found a polaris Indy trail deluxe which isn't quite the right machine but pretty close. It has electric start, reverse, tow hitch, heated grips and a 2up seat. Overall I'm satisfied with the machine.

Excellent choice Dan.
Same goes for SkiDoo/Yamaha.
Fan Cooled (my choice for sure), E Start, Reverse (a must in my opinion - especially if your old......like me.......lol) Heated Grips.
2 up's are great but hard to find with all of the above.
Comp Test a must when buying private. See if the owner will let you take it to your mech. for a once over. If the owner is willing, he knows what he has.
If your looking for bullet proof - there is no such thing. All sleds require maint.
Whatever you settle on get a service manual.
Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:33 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

i have owned several 4 stroke yamahas.....my camp is a long way from nowhere, so the yamaha four strokes are what i use to get to the camp and get out. Very reliable! I would say with that many k's , check the output shaft bearing . I agree with what the other guys said about the turbo machine.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 am 
Walleye Angler

Yamaha best bet. Keep the engine under the 600cc mark or the insurance will have a field day with you!
Snarfy

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 pm 
Baitfish

speaking of the insurance... tough to beat TD's pricing. give them a try if you're shopping once you decide on the sled.

banner ad
banner ad