banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:42 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Laker John got me as I arr'd back to our parking lot after running errands and wondered if I wanted to go fishing as the winds were down and it looked good. Well that decision took about 2 nanoseconds..... I'll be back in ten minutes. Packed a lunch, changed into fishng togs and away we went.

Picked up some gas on the Res and a breakfast sandwich and then over to pick up the boat and head to the launch ramp. That's a 30km trip.

Got the boat and gear into the water and headed out,passing a boat on the way in. They had been out without any success.

We headed out to KT2 and set the rods for the troll, began at 1245. Trolled a short distance and the inner rod fired, a fish was on and then it was OFF!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, that's fishing. The fish struck a Flicker Minnow (Blue Crystal). We had the strike after 12 minutes, I thought it would be the last couple trips, when we hit a fish in the first 20 minutes and never saw anything the rest of the day..

Trolled down a ways and turned back, as we approached KT2, the outer boat fired and the fish was ON. I slowly reeled in, Laker took the board off and slipped the net under this beauty. That was in the first 45 minutes. The fish took a Live Target Perch (small size).

We continued to troll up and down our line and saw a boat approach from the east, they were trolling some deeper water. We trolled over a large bluff on the shore and marked some baitfish.

Trying different trolling lines, we headed out to 40 feet of water and it deepened quickly, soon we were in 60 feet and the screen was covered. A TON of Baitfish - several hundreds of yards long, it didn't stop until we got into 35 feet. Never seen anything like that.

We tried some deeper divers but were unsuccessful at attracting anything. Fished until 1730 and headed for shore.

We had a great day out on the water unlike the Sunday, the winds were manageable and it was pleasant when the sun was out. One for two and we learned some new things, that's also part of fishing.

Stay Tuned.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Great read and thank you for the report.

I love how you say you learned something new as we should all be learning something new everyday out on the water. One thing is for sure the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. I certainly realize there is A LOT I don't know.

One thing I have seen is when my sonar looks like the picture you have posted its more often then not gas bubbles that make it look that. You see how the lines are all diagonal like they are rising and you are moving over them. Next time you see your screen like that look over board and see if you see bubbles breaking the surface. I'll bet that's what that was and not bait fish. You can tell it was calm out there as the lines are straight and not really wavy. Bait is usually a tighter ball like the picture below all though there is sometimes broken up bait that does look "looser" like what you posted but unlikely to be such diagonal lines and not commonly top to bottom like that.

I hope I don't come across as a know it all as that certainly isn't the case and a lot of the little I do know has come from people on this board so thought I would share my opinion.

Thanks again for the great read. I always enjoy your reports.
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:25 pm 
Walleye Master

David, I have the same fishfinder as you and I think these photos are bait balls.

Attachment:
IMG_0076.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0079.JPG

When I saw the picture of your screen, I also would have thought it was definitely "scattered bait"
Thanks for the pictures David, and the info Scott.
I know I just learned something new today!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:27 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Thanks Guys for your candid thoughts on our graph images of the 5th.

I really appreciate the comments -we were hard pressed to figure out what we were seeing.

Thanks again

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:58 am 
Walleye Fry

Hey Scott...
What's up with the Olivia Newton John stuff on the bottom of your fishfinder! :lol:

Is that the secret to luring them in!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

kevin67 wrote:
Hey Scott...
What's up with the Olivia Newton John stuff on the bottom of your fishfinder! :lol:

Hahaha. I was wondering the same thing.
I'm thinking that's either bubbles like Scott said or it's just debris in the water. There was 50k winds all weekend and that stirs it up. Allot of times that can also be a pocket of warm water that's getting pushed around holding lots of debris. The more dense the bait is on your picture the better, it generally means fish are shoving the bait together.

Thanks for the report!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:46 am 
Goby

hey guys , im new to this site ... thanks for the info .
i caught this 9 1/2 lbs beauty at melville shoal 2 weeks ago . I was the the ferry last week and never got a bite .
im heading out tomorrow any recommendations on spots ? if you dont mind me asking where is this KT2 you guys are talking about ... im from kingston .

thanks .
Jack .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:03 am 
Walleye

Nice to see you still chasing the fall eyes Dave, congrats on the first of the fall catches!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:00 pm 
Walleye

Jack did you get out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 am 
Walleye Angler

Water fleas can look just like bait fish if you have the gain cranked up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:50 pm 
Walleye Master

kevin67 wrote:
Hey Scott...

Lol. That's 80's on 8!!! Don't mess with the 80's tunes.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:16 pm 
Walleye Master

i like the 80's on 8 station. :) :)

70's on 7, 80's on 8, jam on, grateful dead, classic vinyl, and deep cuts.

those are my 6 pre-programmed stations :)

as for the fish finder, although I can't say "what" it was marking, I'm also in the "not bait" camp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:27 pm 
Walleye

I dont have the experience that some of these posts have... That being said, i move on to other locations when i mark that scenario. Never have hook ups when it looks like that.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 am 
Goby

Yes i did , adoulphus reach but nothing ... marking lots of fish in the 35ft range but no taker .
hopefully things pick up in the next couple of weeks .

banner ad