Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
Perch

Hi All...

Looking at heading down to the bay this thursday and friday....forecasted winds of 30kmph westerly...

Are these winds basically unfishable? Looking to fish the reach, Picton bay area.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Windfinder.com is saying south/southwest up into the high 20's but gusts into the 40's and 50's Thursday and Friday. Unless you live close by and can make a last minute decision, I'd say don't bother. Saturday and Sunday look decent though.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:56 pm 
Guppy

Shoot I was planning on coming up Friday/sat... If winds are that bad is picton bay fishable at all...?? Will that wind make even the obvious places to hide from the wind unfishable?!? Been dying to come up! Don't know if I can handle cancelling a trip :-(

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ask yourself if you can handle losing a boat or worse...

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Depends on your rig. 20km inside is no big deal. U can hide at ferry and east to Keith's in a south west wind. Keep in mind picton bay will be rough though when you come back to port. (Assuming you launch there)

If it's a west wind you can hide all the way from cement plant down to long reach.

If you have confidence in your rig go, if you're unsure don't.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:20 pm 
Minnow

Fishing against a cold 30 plus wind all day is certainly not fun. Save your money and come another day.
We cancelled last Sunday because of the wind and as we drove by the Bay we saw the waves. We knew that we made the right choice.
Hit the honey do list or buy some gifts. :)

Your call buddy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

I know I came off as flippant in my previous post but it's not like the are hitting real good now anyway. Makes the decision a little easier.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:45 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Save yourself the grief..Water temps still to warm,fish have lockjaw..they are there and lots of them but just not feeding yet..

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:46 pm 
Guppy

no offence taken here! i'm sure we can all relate to that fishing trip that would take a 'tornado on the front door step' to cancel! tough when the number of soft water opportunities are almost finished, especially when the weekend is the only time available :-( gonna make the game call on wednesday! praying for the wind gods to change their tune!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

[quote="BigMac"]Depends on your rig. 20km inside is no big deal. U can hide at ferry and east to Keith's in a south west wind. Keep in mind picton bay will be rough though when you come back to port. (Assuming you launch there)

If it's a west wind you can hide all the way from cement plant down to long reach.

big mac is bang on!!!
this is exactly what we did this past Friday
Morning was s/w 30km stayed directly at the ferry in protected water and went 1 for 3
As the winds started changing to 30/40 km directly west we headed back by fallowing the south shore slowly all the way to the top of picton bay and then crossed to north shore and again were able to troll in protected waters in front of the cement plant going on a east to west troll while avoiding the middle of picton bay and went 0/0 but at least we were fishing and not on shore like most with a parked boat
cheerz

Last edited by gordo1000islands on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:13 pm 
Perch

Thanks for the info everyone....I'm sure the boat would handle the water, but all in all it would not be fun and if they aren't on yet, why waste the time...we'll see what takes place in a week or two.... :)

No worries Parksy....I'm sure theres a lot of people who don't their limitations and should heed warnings.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:20 pm 
Perch

Over the years we've learned the hard way and lots of wasted gas. Winds 25km/h or above, stay home... cause even if your boat can handle it you'll spend all your time fighting waves and not fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:21 pm 
Guppy

ahhhhh not what i want to hear! but i know its the hard truth! we'll see how the next few days pan out and go from there!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

Last time this year, I was writing a story in the Picton Gazette that detailed board legend Scott Walcott and his efforts in saving three lives of anglers who were in a decent Tracker Tundra but got swamped anyway. I'd prefer not to have to write another story like that in 2015.

banner ad