Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Need some help... Looking for a good electronic unit for trolling , must have GPS as well, Have a few extra bucks this season (2K) and want to get something good. Again I troll 90% of the time so not sure what would be most beneficial. I was using a Lowrance 4 Elite Gold which was fine but looking for bigger and better...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:59 am 
Baitfish

Sail has a hummingbird 999 on clearance right now. Great unit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 pm 
Baitfish

Just went on the sail web site and didn't see the 999 on there anymore, but the 859 combo is on sale. I have that on the front of my boat. It is a good unit as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:59 pm 
Walleye

tylercurt, Humminbird is what I use, I have a 899 at wheel and a 798 up at the bow, Ethernet connected and am happy with both units. That being said, wish I had bigger and better, Humminbird just came out with new bigger helix units that look really nice and priced fair. for 2k you could likely get the helix 10 si which is a 10" wide screen, I see that Radioworld in Toronto has the 1199 Humminbird on for $1785 regular $2950!! which would put you at your 2k mark after tax and is a hell of a unit with a big screen. just my 2cents, other guys like other brands, to each there own, I like humminbird for the ease of operation and screen clarity. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I personally have the bird 999 amongst othe bird units and I won't buy another after seeing a buddies lowrance. Here's how I would spend your 2grand :D Lowrance HDS7 or HDS 9 gen2 or 3 touchscreen, Airmar p-65 transducer and a filter. You will have the clearest picture on the bay! 8) you can also get the ice transducer as well and you can take the whole unit with u on your bike or sled. Maybe wait and hit up the sportmans show in the spring to get the best bang for your buck, or contact radioworld. Also take the time to learn your new unit. Get a in store trial when you purchase on how to set depth limits and play with the sensitivity, and how to filter noise etc. So many guys just set the unit up and call her a day. Sure it works but when u spend that kind of cake on a unit learn how it works so your getting the best out your purchase! Good luck!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 am 
Walleye

hey Cindy lighten up already ok! you are probably in Collins Bay Institution and you can only see threw one open view to the Bay so I can see why you are so angry but lighten up people here try to get along!. people like you are not hard to figgure out and even much more easy it ignore. Just time on your hands I guess

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

Last edited by thedrifter on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 am 
Walleye Catcher

I have used humminbird and lowrance and I definitely prefer the lowrance. The peak to peak power is far better and gives a better picture especially in deeper water

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:24 pm 
Walleye Master

Since the boat is probably away or almost put away I'd wait and go to the Toronto Boat Show. Usually you will at least save the tax which on a $2K purchase is well worth it. Plus you'll get to touch and feel lots of different units and talk to some knowledgable people.

Look for Lawren in the Radioworld booth.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the suggestions guys, might go to the boat show and check it out and see...
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hey cinder check your pm box

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

There's huge power in networking and multiple units - this is the downside of the Elite units (no ethernet)..... Depending on the boat, multiple modest units with network enabled side/downscan.........that would be a great investment. If you then wanted to add-on with future tech (forward, 360 scan), you would have the backbone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:59 pm 
Walleye

This is the PM Cindy sent me lol Way to much time in her hand
"My post was not directed to you ! SO ! you should keep your +++++ nose in your own
business you Oshawa +++++ boy !!!!!"

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey Cinder,

"Elliot" as you call him is the owner of this site. His name is Dan and he started this site for all of us to use so we can have intelligent conversations about fishing and get to know people in the area. Dan is a great guy and I would like to think you used some common sense in your PM to him...

You certainly created some entertainment for a while but I think we have all had enough of your off the wall comments and your attempts at humour have worn off. Like thedrifter said, lighten up! So go ahead, keep the entertainment going but not by pointing fingers at someone. Any post with an off comment about a member will be deleted.

Now back to the original post.

Tylercurt, I like the Lowrance units as well, but wish I had a Hummingbird to work with my i-pilot. Something to consider if you have one as well or are thinking about getting one.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Lowrance works with the xi5 motorguide and as adventure pointed out hummingbird with minn kota. Good luck with your decision, its nice one to have to decide. Lol

banner ad