Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice Safety Warning!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:03 pm 
Walleye

A respectful warning to all fellow anxious ice anglers....

A snowmobile and two fishermen went thru the ice today in the Belleville area.
Not all the ice is safe out there yet folks.

Please be safe this weekend.

Post subject: Re: Ice Safety Warning!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm hoping there won't be a tragedy this weekend but it's almost certain...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:01 pm 
Walleye

Not good, everyone is very anxious to get out including myself. with the temps this coming week next weekend she should be firmed up. By no means safe everywhere but hopefully the low current areas have relatively "safe" ice.

cheers guy, Play safe

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:13 pm 
Baitfish

Don't chance it, i went through at Potters this morning about half way across at 6:00am. Thank god my cousin was with me and was able to reach me with the spud and pull me out to safty. It was not a previously drilled hole like everyone seemed to argue with me. It was just a real bad spot among other bad spots, right on the path everyone has been walking. Warned everyone in the Potters paking lot as I was taking off my wet gear and freezing my butt off. Still, people went out. Only an inch to inch and a half. There was 3 - 4 inches friday night, but most was gone this morning. I am not taking a chance like that again. They are called "Quinte Gold" but they aren't actually gold folks, just fish.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:33 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Sean16 wrote:
Don't chance it, i went through at Potters this morning about half way across at 6:00am. Thank god my cousin was with me and was able to reach me with the spud and pull me out to safty. It was not a previously drilled hole like everyone seemed to argue with me. It was just a real bad spot among other bad spots, right on the path everyone has been walking. Warned everyone in the Potters paking lot as I was taking off my wet gear and freezing my butt off. Still, people went out. Only an inch to inch and a half. There was 3 - 4 inches friday night, but most was gone this morning. I am not taking a chance like that again. They are called "Quinte Gold" but they aren't actually gold folks, just fish.

Glad to see you make it out safely ,you are a lucky man ,kiss you family

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that. I hope others take your words of warning seriously and if not, at least go fully prepared with floater suit, spikes, floating throw rope, signed will, phone number of next of kin handy and prepaid funeral plan. All for a fish...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:11 pm 
Walleye Angler

Drove by Potter's around noon today, lots of guys and portables out there. Lots of wet spots on the ice too. Lots of guys know what they are doing to get out there unfortunately others see them and think all's good and throw caution to the wind go marching right out. Natures selection process I guess.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:50 pm 
Walleye

Ive been watching the ice get bad there for a couple days i leaned on my auger just off the path yesterday and went right through..it was only a couple days before that i bounced my spud on the ice three ft from my shack and it went through..about an inch and a half.. I am hearing alot of peiple sit and lie to thereselves about how thick it is..i dont get it..had a guy ask me the other day i told him he then sat and argued with me so i showed him with the measureing setuo we got and he told me i must have some wierd kind of tape as he is a carpenter and knows his inches lol..hope he never works on my home... Besafe guys, its a sketchy year but itll come..its gonna be a short season..but we wil get there and hey prob be an awesome spring as the eyes have no gotten touched barely..i would bet under two hun fish have been caught

banner ad
banner ad