Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dog Lake - Missanabie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 am 
Walleye

Small group of us are planning a trip to Dog Lake this July for a week. We'd be going in from Missanabie, just wondering if anyone has experience on this lake?

Thanks for any info

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:32 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Which dog lake? I've never heard of 'Missanabie', so it's probably not the one north of Kingston?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:06 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

If it's the Dog Lake north of Kingston,a friend of mine trolls for lakers with copper line and does well.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm 
Walleye

Sorry, should have been more specific. Missanabie is a about an hour and half north west of Chapleau. It's supposed to be a very good lake for walleye, pike, jumbo perch with the chance for some small mouth and lakers in the bigger part of the lake. It's a very large lake so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience on it.

Thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:52 pm 
Perch

Never fished the lake but have heard great things about it...used to work on the railway up that way and was stopped one day in the siding and seen a guy with two 20 plus lb lake trout.

Fantastic walleye fishery as well...theres an outfitter at the west end that is boat or train access only. Can't remember the name but the place looks great.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:08 am 
Walleye

We're booked for an island cabin with Camp Missanabie, I think they're changing their name to NorthernWalleye Lodge. It's a boat in so it's about half the cost of a fly in. First heard about it from some friends who moose hunt in the area. They've gotten to know some locals and have been back once themselves for a fishing trip. The four of them were able to limit out on Jumbo Perch on their last day to bring home for a fish fry.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:11 pm 
Goby

Hey, new to this forum. I stayed at northern walleye lodge with a group of guys last June. We had 3 cabins on shore at the camp. Overall I really liked their cabins and camp layout. Plenty of dock space (we brought a bunch of boats from Sarnia). Fishing was pretty good overall too, (other than the may fly hatch in the middle of the trip). We had a few really nice fish throughout the week and a ton of eaters once we figured them out. The Pike were very inactive while we were there. We could see large fish laying on the bottom in clear water but few were taken. Jigging shallow shoals with small black or red jigs ended of feeding the camp. We found a few spots that produced very well.

P.S. be prepared to meet the OPP on the water. This lake is a regular stop for them. Every boat in our group was stopped on the last night of the trip. No problems for us that night but they weren't messin around.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Missinaibi is an awesome spot to fish camp etc!! I've been to missinaibi provincial park probably 10 times. We used to go every year and sometimes multiple times a year. My old man still goes up every June. The bugs are bad then! I've fished whitefish falls lots which you can get your limit of wallies there in No time at all. There's a campsite right there that a Dr and a her husband were attacked by a bear and later she died due to injuries. There's laker fishing near the pictograms where there is a huge wall that drops deep! Also up at the North end of the lake is a an old trading post which is on missinaibi River. Good wally fishing up there in the river! Not sure where your staying but the drive in from chapleau to the park is God awful! It's a washboard gravel road the whole way! Feel free to pm me if you got any questions.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:18 pm 
Perch

pickerel killer....I'm pretty sure bassn51 is referring to Dog lake which is in Missinabie On, the park your referring to is a provincial park in the Chapleau crown game preserve, not the same place. I have fished the missinabie river and also can confirm fantastic fishing and the pictographs are unbelievable....talk about a history lesson...whitefish falls for pickerel and anywhere else for lakers and pike. We used to fish right across from the park opening weekend and fished from shore with a gorge hook and smelt....good times

bassn51....I remember the name of the lodge on dog lake, it was fox den lodge...not sure if its the same name, but a really nice looking place.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Missinaibi Provincial Park, and the small hamlet of Missanabie are both north of Chapleau. Same general area, (Zone 7) , just things are spread out up that way. Dog lake, accessed via the hamlet of Missanabie(Former Train Station, +30 people), (MORE LESS A GHOST TOWN THESE DAYS) it is a big(sort of) lake that meanders off in all directions, inflows offer good fishing as well, but they have seasonal sanctuaries(at some inflow rivers,bays ect) (some year round)...so it depends on the time of year your there. Fish are spread throughout the lake though, so there's plenty of opportunity, for multiple species. (Lots of Bays and Shoals, connecting Channels,Points, ect.)...depths up to maybe 200ft....lots of shallower productive areas though, (PIKE AND WHITEFISH,WALLEYE ,BASS,TROUT ECT.)(IF YOUR EXPLORING MUCH, A DETAILED MAP IS VERY HANDY, AS IS GPS,OR AT LEAST A COMPASS, AND A COPY OF THE 2016 REGULATIONS....only say that because there is so many species, and areas involved)
Missinaibi Provincial Park is about 80 km N.N.W(ish) from Chapleau, (at least the bottom part......its also very large)(within the even larger Chapleau Game Reserve)......... Missanabie the hamlet with Dog Lake, is about 130 km,N.W from Chapleau. They're both in the same general area......they're both north of CHAPLEAU,......SORT OF SIDE BY SIDE, AND SPREAD OUT ABIT.
PS,I'll be up that way in the spring trout fishing, just not directly at either of these spots, but again same general area, so many lakes up there, beautiful country!.....As for outfitters, there's a few if I recall,heres the link to one of the largest..........some useful techniques are found under the walleye tab. http://www.campmissanabie.com/

banner ad
banner ad