Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

Tuesday noon December 14:

I phoned Glenora Marine and the chap on the phone reported no ice whatsoever. He told me it had been too windy for ice to yet form. I phoned Tip of the Bay in Picton Harbour, and the lady told me that the ice had just started to form around her docks. She did not know if the harbour was frozen or not.

Here is the link to the current 7-day weather forecast for Picton, Ontario.

You can see tonight it's supposed to get pretty cold, but then it's supposed to become more mild towards the end of the week. I believe the waters will still be fishable for another week at least, and quite possibly longer depending on how mild it gets, and how willing you are to break a little ice to get out to the open water. The boat ramp at Picton Harbour will be the first to freeze. There are, however, at least four other viable launch sites, these being McFarland's, Glenora Marine, Glenora Ferry East, and Adolphustown.

I am asking everyone who either phones or visits the Picton-Glenora area to PLEASE KEEP THIS POST UPDATED!

Specifically we are looking for:

1. Location of the "ice line" which will soon begin forming outwards from Picton Bay.

2. Any other ice forming anywhere in the area, such as around the Adolphustown ramp.

3. Conditions at all the launch ramps - both the water and ice surrounding them, and the ramps themselves [i.e. are they icy, snowy, or clear? Blocked by snowplows?]

4. The fish you caught - how, when and where.

Stuff you should know:

1. The fishing can be superb this time of year! If you can get yer boat in the water, chances are you can have some of the best fishing of the season. Don't be a pussy, go fishing! [yeah, it's cold, dress warmly, yadda yadda, shut up and fish....]

2. Ice conditions change on a daily basis. Just because the place freezes up tight doesn't mean the open water fishing is over for the season! A bit of wind and a mild day can clear the whole bay immediately - you would be amazed. Ice melts.

3. It can be possible to fish on open water right into the New Year! I've done it, long after others thought it was all over. It ain't over til it's over, and even then it might not be over.

4. Plan your Christmas shopping around the weather forecast! Shop when it's cold, fish when it's mild.

Cheers,

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

He's right, we were out on Jan. 10th last year. Milder than a pair of hemmorhagic Bob Suzuki snow pants.

Hey Dan, Que Pasa? :D

For urine purchase call 1-800-MUX-URIN

Post subject: This weekend
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Hey Pete,
I will be out this weekend but not sure at the moment where I wil launch. I just spoke with the ferry operator on the phone and he said west of the ferry is covered with a skimming of ice. East of the ferry has some open water but he could not ssee or say how much open water. Need some wind going to break it up.

Mux,
How goes it? All is well down here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:43 am 
Walleye Wisdom

How about up near Belleville? any ice up there yet? I was thinking of coming down there this weekend and giving pt anne or rush bar a shot.
Any info would be very much appreciated!!!
fishman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:48 am 
Site Admin

fishman,
I will get back to you on that. I am right in Belleville and at lunch will have a quick drive over the Bay bridge. Wont be able to comment on Pt anne area only what I can see driving over the Bay bridge.

Post subject: ice on quinte
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:55 am 
Walleye Catcher

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post and like to wish everyone good luck and safe fishing over the X-mas season. I live in the County and cross the bay bridge to belleville every day. This morning the whole bay was froze over with looked to be a 1/2" of ice or less. Let the cold weather keep comming so we can have hard water soon. I also wanted to congradulate my friend Jason Semark who I had caught a personal best walleye last weekend. From the dimensions we have it weighing at 9.98 LBS. Good luck and have a great chrismas all.
FISH HARD OR GO HOME!!!!!!

Post subject: Thanks Sheldon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Sheldon thanks for sharing that. Well Fishman there's your answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:39 am 
Walleye Angler

This time of year, the bay will frequently freeze shut, and you will think, "that's it for the season." Then a bit of mild weather and wind will open 'er up for some superb fishing! This can happen even after a week or more of cold weather.

If you can get your boat in the water, which you usually can if you know how and where, you can really kick ass on the walleyes!

So keep the info coming! I predict things will appear to be frozen tight today [Wednesday] because it was so cold last night, but they're still calling for mild-ish weather on Thursday. It takes a lot of cold to freeze the ferry area, that's for sure!

Some of the best fishing we had last year was when we had to do the "icebreaker trick" to get out of the Adolphustown launch. At that point, the snowplows had blocked the Glenora East launch!

Where there's a will, there's a walleye.

Post subject: Wed. Ice Conditions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:58 pm 
Baitfish

We arrived in Picton around 7:30 this morning to find the entire bay frozen. The conservation area is solid and the ramp has lots of ice on it. The launch at the ferry was also solid from the base of the ramp to the end of the dock. Another angler we meet there tried break a path through the ice with a paddle. No luck. I actually walked on the ice for about 5 feet out before it stared to crack. On a positive note there is open some water around the ferry and towards the lighthouse. We then went to Adolphustown launch. Although there is open water about 100 feet offshore the ramp itself is a solid mass of ice measuring about 2-5 inches thick. This ice is from the runoff from the surrounding area which has drained down the ramp. We will need some mild temps and wind to break this mess.

Post subject: Bath
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

If anyone is coming from bath (Superdad??) Could you stop and check out the launch there. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:42 pm 
Walleye

I was in Trenton today and the edge of the river is starting to freeze. Will be a while yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

C'mon guys..give it up :!: :wink:

I know, you're die hards :!: ....Break out the ice fishing gear :!: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:15 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Don't give up til the fat walleye sings!

I am still bound and bent on getting out to the Bay this weekend. Even if it means having to push the boat out to open water. Iv'e done it in the past, I'll do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:32 am 
Walleye Catcher

I drove over the bay bridge this morning and it is still froze over except for 200 square yards right under the bridge. The temp is 1 degree here and is suppose to get windy so this will probly break the ice up somewhat. Don't put your boat away yet we may get 1 more weekend in.
FISH HARD OR GO HOME!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the great reports guys!!! I still have my fingers crossed for this weekend. So if she does open up I coming down to put the boat in. Rumour has it that scugog is frozen up pretty good as well. I`ll definitely be out for opener there and if you wish I`ll post a report here.
keep `em coming
thanks fishman

banner ad