Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Out of towner
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:06 pm 
Walleye

Hi everyone.. Im not asking where is there safe ice on the bay but just an update on the thickness at Potters or Big Bay. Being 2 hours away from the Bay makes it very difficult to go check myself. Please PM me some type of info. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Out of towner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:43 am 
Walleye Master

as you can see by the lack of reports the ice has been very iffy and the weather has not helped...... as a rule potters has always been one of the first places to fish and Big bay also one of the safest early ice places on the BOQ.......... most areas have between one and two inches of what I would call crappy ice half black half white this is never good on a day where its only 0 or -1..-2 temperatures... mother nature has sent us some cold weather this week that will help things greatly.......... extreme caution should be used, even though its mid January the ice should be considered early ice conditions for another week or two at this time you should be looking at local weather to see what the temperatures are or have been or what will be forecasted..... right now if it was calling for +5 day I would not step one foot on the ice........... a -15 day you could find a place to fish using caution and fishing with a friend. use your spud. and take a rope. stay a distance apart, and travel light ........ also a good thing to remember with this thin ice most guys will not welcome you and your buddy walking up and standing beside a guy fishing at his hole... again stay a safe distance apart . a little common sense goes a long way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Grizzly. I do know the bay a bit and I know the areas to stay away from at first ice. I do check as I go and always stay away from others, I prefer it that way. I just needed to know what thickness the ice is now and with these cold temps I have an idea how much it will build in those areas...Simon...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:46 pm 
Walleye

Anyone ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:09 pm 
Baitfish

Was out today, Aikins in the morning, Potters in the afternoon. Slow bite with lots of perch mixed in. 12 lb eye at 9, one more dink all day. 4-5 inches at both locations. 1 machine out at Potters. Good morning bite on the Shoals around Potters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:13 pm 
Walleye

3" black 1"white where I was sitting at potters but I did not check on my walk out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 pm 
Walleye

Thank you very much guys I appreciate it .Tight lines... cheers Simon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:12 pm 
Walleye

Lmao sorry that comment from slow and steady made me laugh especially knowing the ice this year..gives a ice rwport to someone then says that was where he had his hole that he never used a spud to check whole way out...please guys so many posts about messed up ice all year and half the people i see just fly out on the ice no spud at all as soon as they see sombody out there...i dont kbow how many times ive uad to zigzag back and forth all over making a trail on thin ice to get to a hole..would of never been able to walk straight to it becausesoany bad spots.. Sun comes up few giys see ya all of a sudden group of three power augers huts whole bit walking out...i check very well and i went through two days ago wherw there was a gd six inches one step afyer i had spudded out near petes point...so many people have went through...be careful guys as this week theice is gonna be like end of the year ice with warm temps its gonna be very bad all over even if it looks thick remember that ice only hilds like a qaurter of what gd black ice does...tight lines guys and gals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:57 pm 
Walleye

Well guys I made it out on the weekend and yes the ice is all over the place in thickness .Went off from Potters to the left of the buoy and was on 5 inches of ice . We then moved more to the middle and turned around as the ice was ONLY 3 inches, not for me . Went back and to the right towards the buoy and found the ice near the buoy was 8 inches . We managed 1 eye at 7 lbs. took a pic and back she went . I took a pic but won't load here as it's to big or something like that ..Stay safe and tight lines..Simon...

banner ad