Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 am 
Goby

Hi, I am new to this forum,What an awesome tool for fisherman. Noticed over the weekend there where 30-40 fishermen around George street by bay bridge. Yesterday, Tuesday at 3pm there was no one to be seen anywhere. Maybe because it was a very windy day but I think it was ice conditions, it looked scary.
Can anyone tell me if there is a safe place anywhere on the Bay I can get out and fish Today :?: ,Wed. Afternoon. I would appreciate any suggestion, ideas or advice. I love to fish but I am not a gambler.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:20 am 
Walleye Angler

As I was driving over the bridge yesterday afternoon around 4:50 pm, there was no shortage of huts in the vicinity of Potter's Creek at the Quinte Conservation Area parking lot. Maybe a dozen at least. That is about all the information you are going to get publicly on this board. No forum regular is offering any type of ice report because the ice is not uniformly good right now. No one want's to offer "yeah the ice is safe" and have a person read it, go out to a sketchy area and fall through....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm 
Goby

Of course. I understand the ramifications of information of that nature. Thanks for your reply. All I was looking for is exactly what you offered, an area where there are people on the ice. I will try to ask for that type of info. in a different way next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

Oh, don't feel bad and it's a legitimate inquiry...I just didn't want you wait around all day for a response when it was likely that none was coming. My advice to anyone wondering about ice thickness, conditions, etc. is to get in a car and drive to the various points and strike up a conversation with anglers in the parking lots. It's the only way you are ever going to have a true grasp on what's happening out there....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:09 pm 
Walleye

it is a 3 hour drive for me so its tough..i get all my ice info here ..and so long 4 now,john

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:14 pm 
Walleye

Ice is bad me and friend were out last night no fun at all

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:17 pm 
Walleye

Just my 2 cents. I went out last weekend actually took and extended weekend. we had that cold snap which really seemed to firm things up "kinda". I've fished quinte for years and shes always a difficult water body when the temps don't cooperate. I was amazed when you can watch quads running around, sleds running around it gives a person false security. I fish a Yukon and literally the first hole I drilled was 4" nice black ice and the 3rd (3 in a row for in the hut) was 7" half white ice half clear. That was after a pretty solid week of cold. Ice conditions this year are "SH*T". this week was crap ( just hovered around the freezing mark ) and we have 5 days in a row of plus temp's. As much as I want to fish I'm done until we get that following 2 weeks of "semi cold weather". For me im crossing my fingers to be out again on the weekend of feb 20th and then the 28th ( closing).

Be safe, this year suks.

And after this week your ice conditions will be like late season almost ice out.

I had never heard of the term "polar vortex" prior to the 2013/2014 winters but I wish I could hear those word again.

cheers

banner ad