Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:22 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hay Bay Feb 23 Report
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 pm 
Walleye

Went out of Thompsons Point on Feb 23rd at 1:30 pm and slogged northward on foot for a km or so. As of Feb 23rd all the junk on top had frozen to give smooth, maybe skatable ice. Maybe a wee bit bumpy for hockey. I was glad I was wearing cleats.
Spoke to a couple of guys who had only caught a couple of perch and had fished since 8 am.
There were 3 or 4 portables scattered about with 2 or 3 out on the reach. Where I fished there was 10 or 11 inches of ice. Say 4 inches of grey ice over 6 inches of black ice.
Fishing was slow with not much marked until 5:30 pm then the flasher started to light up. Iced a small eye at 5:30pm, then had a hard hit and a miss 5 minutes later. I had strike 3 with a good one on about 10 minutes after that. Reeled it in for about 10 feet (I guess), since I was reeling for a about 10 seconds or so, then poof it was gone. Oh f**k, said I.
The flasher really helped. The hits seemed to come when I jigged 4 or 5 feet above the fish I was marking, and the fish were 2 or 3 feet above bottom themselves.
Of course, after the one that got away, there was nadda for the rest of the time. 20 minutes of intense action but better than skunk city.
It's a wet sloppy mess in kingston here today but ice may be okay on Saturday when this snow/slush/rain mix refreezes.
Be careful out there. The 25mm+ of rain that we're having will boost all the currents in B of Q
Tight lines
pdubya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Myself and buddy were out to Sherman's on Monday , easy walking with cleats, there was 1 other guy from Niagara on a bike and that was it on the ice. I caught 2 small ones and released them, both caught on red buckshot with minnow head only in 28 fow and the same ice conditions you mentioned. Had some nice marks early but no takers. Hopefully Friday will be manageable..
Tim

banner ad
banner ad