Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:12 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Al,

Regarding the reply to Steve-Hamilton's post on Brown Trout.

Your comments on the new electronics is right on, I switched last year to a Lowrance Elite and have gardly scratched the surface of what it will do.

When I see the ads for the latest stuff, I wonder when you would fish without watching the screen for the up, down and sideways views of the water.

I think they're getting too gimmicky.

Just my .02

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:42 pm 
Walleye Master

I can see both sides. I agree we sometimes get carried away with technology and sometimes it can be distracting and gimmicky, but it's pretty hard to deny there have been significant advancements with sonar and GPS in the last few years.

Most of us don't use our chartplotters to their full potential, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a waste. I think of the analogy with a DSLR camera. I own a DSLR camera but shoot on auto mode most of the time. I'm definitely missing out on the full potential of my camera but even in auto mode it still takes better pictures then a point and shoot.

I'm a firm believer that no technology, boat, lure, or rod is the be all end all. And no technology, boat, lure, or rod can be a substitute for experience and time on the water. But time on the water with better electronics can be a pretty dynamic duo.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:20 am 
Walleye Master

Also agree, us weekend warriors know very little about the features of are electronics. I do think there would be a market for people like me, that would pay for a day on the water to learn the features, and never wet a line or catch a fish.

I recently did a flw tour event on Okeechobee as a co angler. (non boater) I was just blown away by how these guys fish. There understanding and how they use there electronics. Day 1 pro fished away from the pack (didn't see another fishing boat most of the day) he caught 6 fish all day, all 6 were located on electronics previous to catch.
These guys run 4 hd"s 12's. Was a huge eye opener for me.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:28 pm 
Walleye Master

Learning the features is one thing, but remembering them is another. I was at the Toronto fishing and boat show yesterday and spent 2 hours at the Humminbird booth going over the features on some of the units. I had a headache by the time I left their booth...lol "Take the time to learn the features of the unit" is what everybody says. If you have the time, ya I guess so, but when you only spend 1 or 2 days a week on the water, I find it hard to sit there and play with my fishfinder for hours at a time, wasting valuable fishing time. I must say I did learn a few things yesterday from the Humminbird reps. Hopefully I'll still remember these tips 2 months from now when I pull my boat out and get it on the water.
I don't think watching someone else demonstrate the unit or watching videos on YouTube is the best way to learn. Doing it yourself "Hands on" is the only way you will actually remember what's going on.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:41 pm 
Walleye Master

If you have any questions EVER, email me. I will be representing Hummingbird at Bass Pro in Auburn NY.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:09 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Landshark... I purchased an 859DI at the show yesterday for the dashboard and will be moving my 788 to the front deck. Looking forward to using the down imaging in combination with the 2D sonar to get a better read of what's on the bottom. I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you once May, June roll around...lol

P.S. For anyone looking to purchase a new unit, I bought the 859DI from Radioworld for $550. Radioworld has some pretty good deals at their store right now.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 pm 
Walleye Master

Anytime 9. Having the 2d next to the DI in a split screen will definitely allow you to better understand what's beneath you. Congrats on the purchase

banner ad